1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/20 11:38 a.m.

Your new name is nubs

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
5/9/20 12:15 p.m.

If anyone asks, it's to remind you that you once killed a man for asking too many personal questions.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/9/20 1:33 p.m.

If I were you my new favorite phrase would be "I'd give you the finger but I'm a little short right now."

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/9/20 2:48 p.m.

Since you can’t shake hands these days, no one other than you  us dorks will notice once the wrappers are off. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/20 4:45 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Your new name is nubs

Nub.

But dang! I had no idea it was that bad! Holy moly.

Also, I agree more heat. Are you flux coring or you have gas? There should be a chart either on your machine or on the internet for your machine that tells you the settings to start with if you know the thickness of metal, wire size and if you're using flux core or gas. For me, the chart is the best way to get good welds.

Indy-Guy (Forum Jock Strap)
Indy-Guy (Forum Jock Strap) PowerDork
5/10/20 6:39 a.m.

In reply to Everyone :

Thanks for all the unanimous feedback: needs more heat and probably more wire feed speed.  Dually noted, and I'll make adjustments next time.

Indy-Guy (Forum Jock Strap)
Indy-Guy (Forum Jock Strap) PowerDork
5/10/20 6:40 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

You are one tough man. Looks like a heck of an injury. 

Keep on with your bad self.

And yep. run hot. Do some test pieces off the car. Get comfortable. You weld with your whole body.

Not so much tough as just had a momentary lapse in judgement. In a split second it happened and now, I have two options: Give up and Quit, or Man up and push on.  I've got six kids watching my reaction to this injury, so a Huge opportunity to teach a life lesson to them

Indy- "Nub" Guy
Indy- "Nub" Guy PowerDork
5/10/20 6:54 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Your new name is nubs

Nub.

But dang! I had no idea it was that bad! Holy moly.

Also, I agree more heat. Are you flux coring or you have gas? There should be a chart either on your machine or on the internet for your machine that tells you the settings to start with if you know the thickness of metal, wire size and if you're using flux core or gas. For me, the chart is the best way to get good welds.

See adapted screen name ;)

Welding with the bottle set at 25 psi.  I keep forgetting about that chart, thanks for the reminder.  Question, if I'm welding two different thicknesses, what setting do you use?  the one for the thin metal or the thicker one?

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/10/20 7:11 a.m.

You want about 7-10 psi showing while the trigger is pulled and wire is running. 25 will have you putting the welding guy's kids through college. Save the cash for your own. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
5/24/20 10:05 p.m.

Bought a new welding helmet, so now hopefully I can see better cool

Turned up the heat & did a test weld

(Forgot to turn on the gas at the top of the weld there)

You can see the difference in height here on the frame where Triumph welded on an extended section when the model changed from TR3 to TR4.  I made a shim to level out the mount:

And I had some help in the garage today:

Not great, but these welds are looking better

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

That's the right idea! Looks good!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
5/25/20 12:09 a.m.

Before i posted, i came back to say i have not been to welding school,  just learned on the job and got good enough to help out at the fab shop when they needed help.  The back side of the mount pictured above has a jagged edge, thats what the guys at work called undercutting and it may mean you're set too hot, or possibly going too slow.  With two pieces of different thicknesses i moved my puddle closer to the thicker piece to get more heat to it, and keep from blowing through the thinner.  Hope that helps and i get corrected if I'm wrong 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
5/30/20 7:21 a.m.

B.F.R. got the engine positioned in its final location, so I went ahead and checked the water pump fitment and found this near interference:

Gotta decide if I should cut out the spring tower area or explore the idea of replacing the outlet pipe with a threaded in 90 degree fitting.

Building the vertical portion of the mounts, I got my money's worth out of this wheel.

And here's the engine with the mounts tacked together. Pulling it out to brace and finish weld them on the bench

Here's the current status of my finger:

Hurt's like hell when I bump the nub into something.  Go back to see the surgeon Tuesday for the 6 week post-op appointment.

5/30/20 7:27 a.m.

Are you running a heater?  Some say you can pull those out and tap for pipe plugs.  I usually use a u shaped hose.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
5/30/20 7:37 a.m.

Are you running a heater?  Some say you can pull those out and tap for pipe plugs.  I usually use a u shaped hose.  

I've "heard" that the engine needs cross flow of these two ports to not overheat but take that internet lore with a grain of salt. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
5/30/20 7:48 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Eventually I'd like to run a heater/defroster, but of course for the challenge it's not necessary. Also for future replacement, it would be great to still use a stock pump.

In reply to Scotty:

Looks like some research is needed

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/30/20 7:51 a.m.

The pictures look like you have enough clearance for hose and clamp. At least try it before going on to more work. May be a nonissue 

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/30/20 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I have tapped and plugged them.  easy, no problems

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/20 11:27 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

The pictures look like you have enough clearance for hose and clamp. At least try it before going on to more work. May be a nonissue 

QFT.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
5/30/20 12:03 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

QFT.

This is the passenger side.

What about when the engine is making full power and flexing that direction under torque/twist?  I'm concerned about that fitting getting knocked off and leaking under pressure.

5/30/20 12:12 p.m.

Your engine isn't moving on those poly mounts.  I forget the part number but i think it's in my challenge folder, of the u shaped hose that's on the shelf at all the stores that fits

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
5/30/20 3:57 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

Hurt's like hell when I bump the nub into something.  Go back to see the surgeon Tuesday for the 6 week post-op appointment.

Pinky went metric. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
5/30/20 9:31 p.m.
akamcfly said:
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

Pinky went metric. 

Interesting. I was thinking the opposite.... it's now officially gone to the Imperial system, 'cause it's only 2/3 of a finger. wink

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/4/20 3:46 p.m.

Temporary brace welded in to maintain proper gap:

Grabbed some leftover pipe from the pie in the sky build, cut it to length:

Burn it in:

My first ever Engine mounts complete & ready to drop the engine in.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/4/20 3:57 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Those look nice.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QXipspdgH7gKgVUBeQHTXH6naZEj92bOu5SwMUz6bBmzpqlspiWrrvdKpul2qeMu