1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/19/21 8:37 p.m.

For long time readers of this build thread, you might remember I mentioned early on that my love of British cars was inspired in large part by my Dad. As a kid growing up, he would talk fondly of the car he owned when he met my Mom: ‘65 TR4.

The story goes something like this…. After graduating college, he desperately wanted a Jaguar XKE (who doesn’t love the lines and performance of that iconic Jaaag). He tried to make the numbers work, but ownership just wasn’t in the cards for him. Somehow he made his way into the local Triumph dealership, where a beautiful 1965 Triumph TR4 was on the showroom floor. Brilliant bright red with chrome wire wheels, wood dash and curves designed by an Italian master: Giovanni Michelotti. List price was about half of what the XKE would have been, so Dad (literally) drove it off the showroom floor.

Ok Indy, you’re thinking, what’s this got to do with the build thread? Well, I desperately want to get this project moving under its own power and take my Dad for a ride in it so we can enjoy it together. Dad’s in his late 70’s and he’s got some health issues. And in case you haven’t noticed, I don’t work nearly as fast as some of you other guys. I started out with the intention to keep this with in “Budget” and compete in the $2000 Challenge. I’m getting exhausted at amount of time and patience it requires to piece together things so cheap. I want to buy some solutions that will help me complete it faster (I’m looking at you fuel system, clutch, flywheel, wiring, brakes and interior) I don’t doubt that I could stay the course and get ‘er done in budget, but will I sacrifice that drive with my Dad as a result?

(pic from page one with Dad and I making zoom-zoom noises with some of my kiddos in the back)

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/19/21 8:51 p.m.

Please let Dad win.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/21 9:13 p.m.

Take dad for a ride, you can always build another challenge car.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/21 7:45 a.m.

Hell yeah man, get it done to enjoy with your Dad. The story of our Healey and my Dad isn't exactly the same (he couldn't afford a Mercedes 190 and didn't buy this previous pile new) but it parallels big time. Although he's capable, he doesn't seem too terribly comfortable driving the Healey but our cruises this summer really made all the hard work pay off. I just wish I was able to finish it sooner. 

To quote above, you can always build another challenge car!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/21 9:01 a.m.

I agree that Dad comes first but why not both?  Get it going quickly but note what you're putting in so that stuff can be replaced with cheaper for a Challenge run later.  

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/20/21 9:06 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

I agree that Dad comes first but why not both?  Get it going quickly but note what you're putting in so that stuff can be replaced with cheaper for a Challenge run later.  

This. As a man in tbe same boat as you with a elderly father and health issues,  do it for dad. Then spend some time pulling apart and making challenge budget like we did with the miata this year for stampie. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/21 10:57 a.m.

Well, you can always call in your chips with me! 

And I bet a few other well placed phone calls would net you with some very quickly completed fuel systems, wiring, clutch, flywheel, interior, etc. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
1/20/21 11:19 a.m.

I agree get it done and running. You can always back track in future years and replace expensive parts with cheap ones to get back in budget if you desire to take it to the challenge still. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/21 1:10 p.m.

Definitely get it running so you can take your dad out in it. But it sounds like there are others on this forum that might be able to help out out for those parts you are needing so make a list and post it here and lets see what suddenly becomes available. Fuel system, clutch, flywheel, wiring, brakes and interior, what else do you need?

I can get you some of the interior as I am restoring the TR4A for a client and he is replacing the interior with all new pieces, so there will be some good items left over like nice door cards, etc.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/20/21 7:26 p.m.

In reply to preach (fs) & RacetruckRon & AxeHealey:

Thanks for the encouragement to change focus and do what I'm feeling I should.

In reply to Stampie, Dusterbd13-michael and Andy Neuman:

I was thinking in binary, either it was or it wasn't a Challenge Car.  This car's a keeper, so thanks for helping with my perspective I'll continue to keep it low budget and track all the parts costs for a potential future Challenge attempt when time permits.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/20/21 7:27 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) and dherr (Forum Supporter) :

You guys are the best.  The offer to lend a hand and good parts cheap is appreciated.  Stay tuned I'll probably take you up on it.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/20/21 7:46 p.m.

This eBay harness could save me months of work, it should be plug and play for my engine, at only $265 it looks like the easy button.

I found this fuel injection line conversion kit for $90. 

Probably going to grab this Flywheel for $169

Thoughts on these ?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/21 8:36 p.m.

Do you still have humpy? Because there is a free harness with more wire than you could ever need. Probably better connectors too. Does humpy have those plastic fuel lines and quick disconnects? Fuel pump? Might be able to use those too.

If you're going to parts cannon, make sure you get stuff that will actually work and save time. Keep in mind I haven't analyzed your specific situation or these specific parts. Just trying to say that you need to be careful in how you spend your money to make sure you actually meet your goal of saving time. A cheap generic solution can quickly end up being neither cheap nor a solution.

1/21/21 5:29 a.m.

That fuel line kit doesn't really get you anything,  honestly. The surge tank setup we were discussing in the other thread,  with a return bung in the tank is the way to go, challenge or not.

Engine harness,  for now, could be the ebay one. However,  id agree with robbie that a roll your own from stock stuff from humpie would probably be better and look nicer. But as you said,  months of work. 

Flywheel: that makes me nervous. And im the guy that built a lightweight one on the brake lathe at oriellys.  Buy a stock or reputable manufacturer flywheel. Them blowing up is ver, very scary stuff.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/21 6:50 a.m.

Remember that a good SFI flywheel is budget neutral for the Challenge so get a good one and you won't have to pull it later.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
1/21/21 10:28 a.m.

I wish I were closer to help.  I may have some TR6 parts you could use, so post what you need.  Honestly, I'm amazed at the $2000 challenge cars.  It takes lot's of time and skill to put one together and understand why you took up the challenge.  But I also get the Dad thing.  I wish I had spent more time with mine before it was too late.  For me, missing that would be the bigger regret.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/21 10:32 a.m.

It should take 10 hours max to standalone humpie's engine harness moving slowly, but easy button smash is acceptable.  I have 2 ebay harnesses on the shelf because i value my time at more than $20/hr

The corvette filter/regulator is the way to go.  

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/21/21 4:35 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Do you still have humpy? Because there is a free harness with more wire than you could ever need. Probably better connectors too. Does humpy have those plastic fuel lines and quick disconnects? Fuel pump? Might be able to use those too.

If you're going to parts cannon, make sure you get stuff that will actually work and save time. Keep in mind I haven't analyzed your specific situation or these specific parts. Just trying to say that you need to be careful in how you spend your money to make sure you actually meet your goal of saving time. A cheap generic solution can quickly end up being neither cheap nor a solution.

Yes,  Humpie is in the side yard still.  I have the engine harness and under dash harness already pulled.  Chassis harness is still in there if I need anything.  I'm a total Ludite when it comes to wiring.  I know you, Michael and many others here are really good at it, but that it's really frightening to me, and I have a very steep learning curve ahead if I'm going to home brew my own harness.  Purchasing a solution is the easy button there.

I'll discuss the fuel situation in the next response to Michael.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/21/21 4:39 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

That fuel line kit doesn't really get you anything,  honestly. The surge tank setup we were discussing in the other thread,  with a return bung in the tank is the way to go, challenge or not.

Engine harness,  for now, could be the ebay one. However,  id agree with robbie that a roll your own from stock stuff from humpie would probably be better and look nicer. But as you said,  months of work. 

Flywheel: that makes me nervous. And im the guy that built a lightweight one on the brake lathe at oriellys.  Buy a stock or reputable manufacturer flywheel. Them blowing up is ver, very scary stuff.

Let's talk fuel system then, because I can't picture what you described in the other thread.  I have a plastic in take pump set-up in Humpie, I'll have to check if I cut them, but I think there's some good lines yet on the tank.

How do I get fuel from the existing tank to the surge tank ?  My thoughts in the other thread got shot down because it wouild leave pressure in the surge tank and trap air in there.

flywhee in next post.....

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/21/21 4:42 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Remember that a good SFI flywheel is budget neutral for the Challenge so get a good one and you won't have to pull it later.

Right, thanks for the reminder.  I'll go ahead and buy a name brand aluminum flywheel and install it, then later find a cheap LS one to put in the budget if challenge bound

1/21/21 5:44 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

Let's talk fuel system then, because I can't picture what you described in the other thread.  I have a plastic in take pump set-up in Humpie, I'll have to check if I cut them, but I think there's some good lines yet on the tank.

How do I get fuel from the existing tank to the surge tank ?  My thoughts in the other thread got shot down because it wouild leave pressure in the surge tank and trap air in there.

About halfway down

Short version: stock tank stock pickup to cheap low pressure pump. Low pressure feeds surge tank. Tank feeds high pressure pump. High pressure pump feeds regulator. Regulator Return from engine to surge tank, overflow from surge tank to added return bung on stock tank

Later edit: i would use a cheap ebay bypass style fuel pressure regulator at the engine bay. It will be adjustable and stable, and probably cheaper than the vette parts which have apparently become unreliable. Also little more clarification on plumbing. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/21/21 5:44 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

Thanks for the offer on parts, I've really been enjoying your '6 build thread.

In reply to Patrick :

As greasy and grimy as Humpie's harness is, it's going to take 10 hours of JUST cleaning to get it ready to "stand alone".  It's on the shelf and should be able to swap out at a later date for a run at the Challenge.

In the LS Swap thread, others have really called into question the quality of the Corvette filter/reg combo.  I want to hear Michael's expanation on the fuel system before I lanch the parts cannon on the fuel system.

garaithon
garaithon Reader
1/21/21 8:30 p.m.

I don't mind stripping your harness down for standalone operation. Its not too bad at all, just have to be orderly and cross your T's! I can come up in a few weeks and get it and I'll get it ready for you. 

Can you use a Fbody Ls1 clutch and flywheel combo? Last I checked you could get the whole set on rock for like $90 in the "economy" section. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/21/21 8:46 p.m.

In reply to garaithon :

Hey, with an offer like that, how can I say no? I'll even deliver the harness to you.  I need to get down your way and check out your new garage set up.

How's the "Whale" coming along?  I haven't seen an update lately.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/21/21 8:54 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

About halfway down

Short version: stock tank stock pickup to cheap low pressure pump. Low pressure feeds surge tank. Tank feeds high pressure pump. High pressure pump feeds regulator. Regulator Return from engine to surge tank, overflow from surge tank to added return bung on stock tank

Later edit: i would use a cheap ebay bypass style fuel pressure regulator at the engine bay. It will be adjustable and stable, and probably cheaper than the vette parts which have apparently become unreliable. Also little more clarification on plumbing. 

I totally missed your reply here earlier when I was in a post "freanzy"...  I'll go read up on that section of your build thread you linked to.  Looks like at a minimum I'm popping a  new hole in the stock tank for the fuel return.  Thanks.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dZ3trAC84ZeE9ilwAxw9V9drd0btTsJbxiu3Gje19WrWttLAmRf5Cms8QW6DaOVt