1 2 3 4 5 ... 20
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/30/19 2:17 p.m.

Wheeltubs.

Always wanted to do a v8 powered pro-street mg midget. But a tr4 is an acceptable substitute 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/1/19 9:30 p.m.

Gunna be a ripper.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/2/19 7:44 a.m.

Beauty of the TR series is you can take the body off the frame, build up a running chassis (and reinforce as necessary) and then drop the body back when you are done. This will definitely be a ripper, seen some nice TR6's with an LS drivetrain, so can't wait to see this on a TR4.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
12/2/19 12:00 p.m.

Me like.  It will be fun to see this come together.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/3/19 8:16 a.m.
AxeHealey said:

Gunna be a ripper.

Oh yeah!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/7/19 10:27 p.m.

Thanks for all words of encouragement guys.  I want to have fun with this build and include the Indy-Kids in my shenanigans.  As you follow along, you'll notice my fab skills aren't the best, but I hope to improve as I go along.  Anyway here's what happened tonight (expressed in pics):

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/19 10:49 p.m.

Sweet.

Gm 60 degree? Auto?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/7/19 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

60 degree, Yes.  Auto, yes

Robbie
12/7/19 11:22 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

What are you gonna do with that paperweight?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/7/19 11:35 p.m.

Try to trade it for something I can use.  because Challenge budget.

Do you want it? Put it in the Datsun Roadster?

Robbie
12/7/19 11:44 p.m.

Welllllllll....

No, no I don't want it. I used to have one in an s10 with a 5 speed. No desire for another.

No I was thinking you might let the kids take it apart and practice their head porting or cylinder micing or rod bearing plastigauging. 

You know, hot rodder stuff.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/8/19 6:24 a.m.

That steering shaft is interesting.

Pete

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/8/19 6:43 a.m.

Ms ifold, carb and distributor are about the onky things if value with sn estmrly 60 degree you cant hear run. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/19 8:39 a.m.
NOHOME said:

That steering shaft is interesting.

Pete

I see several things I wish I could fabricate for brian, including a slightly less icky crossmember

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/8/19 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

If I can't get some $$ or a decent trade, that's what I'll do.

In reply to NOHOME and Patrick:

Yes, interesting to say the least.  Please note the car is still basically exactly as I bought it.  You'll see even more of the previous owner's questionable work when I get the body off the "frame" and show you the door jams.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/8/19 12:19 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Ms ifold, carb and distributor are about the onky things if value with sn estmrly 60 degree you cant hear run. 

This engine would probably start and run if I could figure out how to temporarily hot wire this junk.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/19 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Boat fuel tank, 12 volt switched to the coil, jumper cable negative to the block and positive to the starter lug.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/8/19 2:11 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Boat fuel tank, 12 volt switched to the coil, jumper cable negative to the block and positive to the starter lug.

Ok. Here's the coil:

I assume ground goes in through the outside body of the coil/ mounting.  Which wire gets the +12 Volts attached?

Here's the distributor:

Mid 80's-ish GM

Two wires going in.  One Orange, the other black (maybe brown?). What connects to these? 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/19 4:28 p.m.

100% stolen from 

https://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/2.8L/ignition-coil-tests-1

When you turn the key and start cranking the engine, this is what happens:

1. 12 Volts reach the ignition coil on the gray connector terminal labeled with the letter B (in the illustration above). The wire that connects to this terminal is a pink (PNK) wire.
  2. As these 12 Volts enter the ignition coil, they also exit on the pink wire of the black connector (terminal labeled with the letter D of the black connector). These 12 Volts now feed power to the ignition module.
  3. As the engine starts to crank, the pick-up coil (which is the defacto crankshaft position sensor) starts to generate its position signals to the ignition control module.
  1. The ignition control module (ICM) now starts to activate the ignition coil across the white wire of the black connector (terminal labeled with the letter C in the illustration above).
  2. The ICM activates the ignition coil to start sparking by turning on and off (interrupting) the ground circuit.
  3. You and I can check the ignition coil by checking that it's getting power and that the ICM is supplying the ignition coil's activation signal.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/19 5:29 p.m.

Big fat pink wire is +12v

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/19 5:33 p.m.
Patrick said:

Big fat pink wire is +12v

It's a GM thang.  Big fat pink wires are always 12v (ignition switched), big fat orange wires are 12v (battery).

Also, this project is sick and wrong, and I mean in that with the highest level of approval.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/9/19 8:09 a.m.
Knurled. said:.

Also, this project is sick and wrong, and I mean in that with the highest level of approval.

Wow.  Thanks!  Considering the level shenanigans and work you do in the "Bat Cave" I take that as real compliment. surprise yes

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/9/19 10:04 a.m.

That "frame" is highly modified, not a stock TR4 frame. I would pull the body and see what you are dealing with. Much easier to build your chassis with the body out of the way. I can see this is a highly "customized" TR4, so you are free to do what ever you want with out having to worry about the purists complaining about messing with a classic. Watching closely..... 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/9/19 7:13 p.m.

Indy-Grandpa stopped by for a visit:

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/9/19 7:14 p.m.

Let's see what damage we can do.....

1 2 3 4 5 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yaN2azFiORYni57BlRe7Qojmqv3ubfRa5bn5wKe0kzggGmrea689n4vDyEcIxtsq