1 ... 4 5 6
Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
1/20/13 2:37 p.m.

My g/f painted the engine of her 1800ES back when we converted the car from an automatic to a manual and pulled the engine to do the swap. She used the POR15 as you described and top-coated it with their Ford Red engine paint (which is pretty much the same as Volvo red). We had the engine on a stand in her wood-stove heated sunroom over the winter so with no rush she was quite meticulous in following the directions.

Seven years later, the red paint still looks "wet" and oil leaks wipe off easily. It's amazing stuff, but you do have to follow the directions to the letter

Be sure to put plastic wrap on the can before closing the lid or you'll never get the lid off again.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/13 5:08 p.m.

Thanks for the advice!

I didn't use duct tape because I thought there would be too much sticky goo to deal with, but now that I know it'll work, I'll be sure to use it next time. Fortunately I kept the paint out of the grooves of the can, so I should be ok there.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
1/20/13 7:51 p.m.

and i daily drove a por15 motor for right at a decade. it still cleaned up like the dfay i painted it.

this E36 M3 dont even come off in a hot tank. or with a sandblaster.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/2/13 6:58 p.m.

I sent the black "parts-car" off to its new home at GRM today. Thanks to aussiesmg(Steve) and his friend Shawn for heading over to pick it up. It was great meeting another GRMer in person and getting to bench-race for a while!

photo 8D464880-8870-4EDC-BE35-DDA01F4DA875-9671-000008BBC0A184B3_zpsbeac31e8.jpg

P.S. Guess what the weight difference is between the Europa(as-is) and the engine in the bed.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/2/13 7:23 p.m.

More than a few.

Great to finally meet the legend that is Pete Gossett, thanks for the great lunch, company and the wildest load ever.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/3/13 8:20 a.m.

Why did I say yes to this?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/3/13 8:39 a.m.

All I keep seeing in the future of this car is a Lotus ute.

Fitting an engine under that hood, priceless

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/3/13 8:58 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Why did I say yes to this?

Because you've taught Tom well...

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
3/3/13 9:54 a.m.

I swear I've never seen Steve tow with the same vehicle twice... you own a new truck?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/3/13 10:04 a.m.

That 3/4 ton Ram was a rental, which had 220 miles on it when I picked it up.

You have to break new vehicles in easy you know, the Cummins weighs almost 2000lbs

Somewhat more than 1/2 a Europa

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/3/13 12:16 p.m.

The price was right, and you're as crazy as the rest of us?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/3/13 1:24 p.m.

What company rents 3/4 ton trucks???

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/3/13 4:41 p.m.
Ian F wrote: What company rents 3/4 ton trucks???

Rymes with

Shmenterprise

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/13 5:40 p.m.

As I recall, back about, oh, six months ago when I was trying (unsuccessfully) to convince you that driving the WRX back to Florida would Not Be a Very Good Idea, I believe your response was something along the lines of, "Look, here's the deal...I'm an a-hole..."

SwiftDB4
SwiftDB4
4/13/13 12:27 p.m.

Pete, A couple of us Europa owners in the NW have done Zetec swaps. Just some advice- the stock oil pan is just fine. We do track days with Hoosier R6 slicks. Oil pressure never drops under 60psi hot even on long high speed corners. The fairly vertical pan with an excellent windage tray built into the pan girdle is a very good design. Second DO NOT rely on JB Weld for the water pump. It will fail, guaranteed. Get the pump outlet welded.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
4/13/13 4:03 p.m.

Remind me again what the insanity was for this project? I vaguely recall being on the wining team when suggestions were put forth, but darned if I can recall. I think it was evil.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/13/13 7:54 p.m.

Haha, sorry for the lack of updates - I got busy with work, then spring hit and my step-daughter and I have been out autcrossing, and working on getting the Miata in a little more competitive condition.

I certainly haven't forgotten about the Europa, and typically have to wipe a bit of drool off every time I walk past it in the garage.

In fact, for giggles I propped one of the TRM 15"x9"s destined for the Miata up against the Europa to check it out.

Mmmm.....  photo 1A74EB7B-F86B-4126-AF01-29856786461A-34489-000030A1E3293AFC_zps8bb7d1c9.jpg

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/15 9:05 p.m.

Bumping this thread.

Whatever happened with this project?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/15 9:30 p.m.

It got sold to a GRM minded fellow with a Dmod 13b Midget (not me I swear) a half finished lotus 7 clone and now this. He is a good guy and will build something out of it eventually.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/15 5:48 a.m.

In reply to nocones:

Technically it was sold to him and his sister, who is a blazingly fast driver and owns what must be one of a handful of bone-stock ITR's left.

BTW do you still have the Miata? I saw in another thread you'd picked up another car recently.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/15 12:23 p.m.

Yes I do. But I am going to sell it. I bought other Petes 350z

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lYaRSSrVahAruERCUeFmp3ykR7Bj3dIrkZpkvm7dQZEQlrC4mDRtOhfa3D1J05jP