1 2 3 4
jakeb
jakeb HalfDork
10/28/13 8:58 p.m.

This swap is just getting underway and will be a little slow going as I am working on other swaps as well right now. The car showed up yesterday so I felt I should get the threads going. This car is being built for Steve for at Blunttech.com. He sells OEM and aftermarket parts...lots of BMW and VW. As well as many brands of performance parts.

As I build this car updates will come in this thread but they will come slightly earlier at the following URLS: http://bmw.blunttech.com/ and on my site http://www.classicdaily.net You can also follow updates as they happen on instagram @classicdaily

A quick overview of the build

88 E30 M3, DS on black V10 S85 with 6 speed from a 2010 M5 Fortune Auto Coilovers Completely rebuilt suspension Big brakes (either will be Porsche 996 or brakes from a 135...hoping to go with 135 brakes but we will see what fits the best) Engine will be run complete standalone with Megasquirt 3 Pro from DIY Autotune (launch control, etc etc)

A few pictures of what is going on so far....

Here is what it is going into.... this is it coming off the trailer last night and going into storage for a bit

S85 when I picked it up a few weeks ago

Back of my truck...

mmm

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/13 9:04 p.m.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
10/28/13 9:13 p.m.

Yes holy crap oh my god

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/28/13 9:15 p.m.

Wait, that's a REAL e30 m3? Wow.

jakeb
jakeb HalfDork
10/28/13 9:22 p.m.

yup, real E30 M3. The wing and side skirts are off it.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/28/13 9:22 p.m.

That's what threw me off, I didn't see the flares right away.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
10/28/13 9:58 p.m.

that should sound like fun.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
10/28/13 10:29 p.m.

Sweet Jesus. I don't even.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/28/13 10:42 p.m.
Mr_Estrotica wrote: Sweet Jesus. I don't even.

I can't even manage proper incoherence, so I'm going to quote Mr_Estrotica...

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
10/28/13 11:56 p.m.

Hah, i knew when i read the title there would be some of this . But given the subject matter, i suppose it's justifiable! Awesome project!

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
10/29/13 12:44 a.m.

I'm curious to see how the standalone MS goes on this project! Sounds like a huge, fun project. V10+6 speed in that size car is a proper hot rod, sounds like a handful.

Good luck. You've got your work cut out for you, hopefully you come out of it with a notch in your belt for another successful build.

Bryce

jakeb
jakeb HalfDork
10/29/13 5:36 a.m.

It sure will be a fun one :)

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/29/13 7:24 a.m.

You just living "la vida loca" aint you!

I shall be lurking over your shoulder for this one.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
10/29/13 7:29 a.m.

I'm in again!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
10/29/13 7:31 a.m.

Mother of God.

I thought you could only perform insane engine swaps like that in the Forza video games.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
10/29/13 7:44 a.m.

Looking forward to seeing the shoehorn you're going to have to make!

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/29/13 7:54 a.m.

LS1 is not the answer. This. This is.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
10/29/13 8:09 a.m.

Jesus H t .............

Speech less.

Can we have a SE Michigan GTG at your shop some time, maybe over the holidays? YOu keep doing these amazing builds.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/29/13 8:13 a.m.

This will be awesome. I remember the same swap from a few years back, but it appeared to be a no expense spared build. Still...gorgeous to look at in pictures:

http://jalopnik.com/5349368/piper-motorsport-v10-e30-m3

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
10/29/13 8:33 a.m.

Curious how must shoe horn it's going to take to get that engine under that hood. Also really interested in your take on the MS3 driving this thing.

Will be watching.

jakeb
jakeb HalfDork
10/29/13 9:20 a.m.

Thanks guys...the shoe horn actually doesn't need to be all that big. It does fit and has been done in a handful of cars in Europe. Just not many over here and not many that have been as documented as the one we are doing.

Still a little ways off before being able to actually dig into this one as I am finishing up a couple other swaps first.

There is a guy running MS3 on an S65 so I will be calling on him for a lot of advice.

As for a meeting at my shop I would be down for it...but my shop is not all the big.... Might be better when I get a bigger place.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/29/13 11:49 a.m.

I whole heartedly approve of this.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/29/13 3:37 p.m.

And this crowd thinks I am nuts!?

Then again you HAVE established your credentials. Beyond a doubt

Carry on...

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/29/13 3:39 p.m.

I don't imagine an S65 to be that much physically larger than an LS1.... it LOOKS imposing, but i'm guessing it fits alot better than it appears.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/29/13 3:42 p.m.

What does an S65 (EDIT: oops, should've said S85) weigh, and how far forward will it end up sticking?

I mean, there's a lot of awesome to this build regardless of such piddling concerns, but I am curious about how nose-heavy this will or won't be...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XBpurrlYlby3st8QyXtvd27f92zYDDqEonvFAc5gQm8EFnxAbzSQfz2gWib7zOUK