1 2 3
tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/24/22 6:06 a.m.

Why not relocate the existing spare to a better location? 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/24/22 7:11 a.m.

Thats about the time Ford was playing with aluminum wheels for the spare. If that's what I see there, make sure the powder coating shop takes that into account when they bake it.  Treating it like steel will destroy the wheel.

Mr_Asa
3/24/22 11:26 a.m.

In reply to LostInTransit :

Respectfully, that doesn't mean much.  I've been wrenching since ~98 and have rebuilt several engines, still managed to get my cam timing about 90 degrees off in my latest rebuild. 

But you do you.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/22 1:12 p.m.

Powdercoaters always claim lots of success with aluminum wheels. Meanwhile, some wheel manufacturers will void the warranty if their wheels are powdercoated.  Why?

It's the temperature range. Powdercoating ovens are in the temperature range used to age aluminum, so if you powdercoat a 6061-T6 wheel you can find yourself over-aging the alloy and thus set yourself up for a wheel failure. I once destroyed a set of new race wheels after having them coated because I was not aware of this, and I was not willing to take the chance of a wheel failure which would potentially result in a major accident. When you're doing 125 mph down a rally stage with a rough surface and forests on each side, it's an easy decision.

This is likely only a problem on wheels that are not running a lot of margin, like lightweight race wheels that will be highly stressed. An OE wheel being used on something like a T-bird where weight was not a factor, less likely to be an issue. That's the sort of material powdercoaters deal with all the time, completely over-specified hardware. But the correct solution is always to paint, not powder because there is absolutely no benefit to powder and there are legitimate downsides. The side benefit of paint is that it's easy to match colors. 

I don't think any OE wheels are powdercoated, they're all painted.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/24/22 1:49 p.m.

I see this  freakin guy started and then nuked another of his own threads. 

Keith Tanner
3/24/22 2:03 p.m.

We made the mistake of expressing opinions. Basically, he bought an old wheel from a Thunderbird and took it to the powdercoat shop so he could have more room under the Transit Connect.

There's not a single picture in any of his threads that could actually be of the vehicle in question, I'm going to start doing reverse image searches on them.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/24/22 4:10 p.m.

This guy's been posting then nuking threads about Transit Connects on various forums for seven years, almost as long as these vans have been sold in the US.

Mr_Asa
3/24/22 4:16 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

What a strange behavior. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/22 4:23 p.m.

Y'all need to be more friendly to the newbies. Why y'all always running them off?

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/24/22 4:36 p.m.

Yeah, this weirdo nuked another thread. I still learned something. Thank You, Mr. Tanner. 

Just Because:

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/24/22 4:40 p.m.

I think cafe racers should be a factory option with Transit Connects, they just look so right together smiley

This is nice, a two year old build on Motoring Research's website https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/ford-transit-connect-msrt-makeover/  who needs the OP

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
3/24/22 5:04 p.m.

Oh for berkeley sakes. Not againangry

When I saw this post popping up, I wondered how long before he nukes it. 

Can any of the Mods please ban this guy and block his user. He is wasting forum space

Mr_Asa
3/24/22 6:14 p.m.

One of the reasons I was actually concerned with this guy's post is that his spare looked exactly like one I pulled off the side of the road for free aluminum for casting Challenge parts.  Please note the bolt pattern and how FUBAR it is.

I looked into it and apparently they're great as spare wheels, but Ford really really meant that they weren't supposed to be driven over 40 miles.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
3/24/22 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It does also look to have the troublesome Maxxis tire that he had mentioned about being bad. 

Keith Tanner
3/24/22 6:38 p.m.

That looks like the lug nuts didn't get tightened.

Mr_Asa
3/24/22 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Very probably, yeah.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/24/22 7:49 p.m.
StripesSA1 said:

...When I saw this post popping up, I wondered how long before he nukes it. 

I thought the same. I gave this poster one last chance and tried to reason with him on a previous post. Then I saw the history and knew this thread was getting blown up soon. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/24/22 8:51 p.m.

Francis rolled out another post grenade?

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
3/24/22 9:16 p.m.

For berkeleys sake, really? I saw this this morning and hoped no one would reply so he could post into a vacuum and not blame us for bad behavior.   Asa makes a perfectly reasonable suggestion and he takes his ball and runs away again?  Berkeley this E36 M3.  Lol. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/30/22 2:09 p.m.
LostInTransit said:

...  knowing that the spare has been removed will free up space under the van of "other things" which I'm not going to disclose anytime soon.

surprise

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/22 10:29 a.m.

So.....as I'm reading this, and I never saw the original post because it was nuked before I got here, basically you wanted to do a thing and people told you it isn't a good idea and didn't agree with you.

You then took this as a personal attack on your entire being and claimed bias because of something.

Dude. Have you ever considered that maybe it's......just not a good idea? You can do whatever you want but you can't control people and make them agree with you

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/31/22 10:30 a.m.

Are you sure this forum is the right tool for what you're trying to accomplish?

The discussion, whether or not it's particularly on topic, is the entire point. We're here to talk to each other, share tips/stories/ideas, and generally come together as a community chatting about stuff. 

For what you're building, adding it to your garage might be a better fit. You'll be able to post updates and information without anybody being able to comment on anything except for the build's main page, and without comments showing unless you scroll all the way past your own content. 

Here's an example:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/2237/

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/31/22 10:31 a.m.

Respectfully, this is a forum. When you post you must be willing to either respond to or ignore, the comments on your posts.

If you prefer a venue where you can post your work without comments I encourage you to start and build a web blog. They can be done for next to nothing and you can have full control over the content.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/31/22 10:34 a.m.

And it looks like the van already exists in your garage, so you just need to post updates:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/17494/

Keith Tanner
3/31/22 10:36 a.m.

There is a difference between discussion and conflict. I think that's the main disconnect here.  When you post technical statements, you're going to get technical responses - and anyone telling you it's a bad idea to powdercoat aluminum wheels (and why) is not doing so to call you out as an idiot. It's sharing information that may prevent a failure.

Why not some pictures of the reupholstered panels? It's unlikely anyone will have mechanical opinions on that or tell you something you don't want to hear.

1 2 3

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
5bBquZXt70iI0jjJ22rcRzNdwfNy5oYFUUN0eHcqSy3E0V1r2c2MguRTEYJnio1G