corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
3/25/16 3:48 p.m.

This car has an odd history to it. I went to washington to get this car, on a whim, some years ago. It was easily one of the nicest 924s I had seen and I had to have it. The problem was the guy would not hold it for me. He had a guy coming at 8am to come buy the car the next day and said it was whoever showed up first.

Since I'm in central oregon, I thought, "MAN, there's no way I'll get there in time."

I posted up on facebook to see if SOMEONE, ANYONE would go on the road trip with me at midnight and get there by 6am (he said he was up at 6am and I could show up then). The deal was whoever went got to drive the car home and I'd pay for gas and meals etc. Someone answered. We left at midnight, showed up at 6am, bought the car, drove it home.

Years go by, I get divorced, the car goes with the ex. She sells it and I think, "I'll never see it again."

A few more years go by and I had a hankering to buy a 928. Nothing suited my fancy at that time, so I thought, "maybe there's some nice 924s I can look at to replace my old silver bullet, Eileen." I search on searchtempest and sure as E36 M3, a '79 924 shows up that looks EXACTLY like my old car.

I decided to look on my old facebook photos, and the license plate is the same. HOLY E36 M3, it's my old car! So I made an offer and the guy delivered it to my doorstep 3 days later.

Since then, I've had to fix some stuff and have been working on getting it back to as original as I can get it, with a few touches of my own taste.

In this case, recently, the steering wheel was starting to look haggard as hell. So sometime last year I had started to recover the steering wheel out of the first Porsche I bought (my little '77 924), but never finished it.

Last night, over a cigar and some scotch and a few hours of work, I stitched it up the rest of the way and then installed it in the car. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
3/25/16 4:19 p.m.

Nicely done. Steering wheels are kind of a pain to recover. I don't think I've seen that nice of a 924 interior in years.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
3/26/16 12:50 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Nicely done. Steering wheels are kind of a pain to recover. I don't think I've seen that nice of a 924 interior in years.

Thank you! :) I had a business years ago doing this type of stuff and dissolved it during my divorce due to time restrictions and life crap going on. So it felt good to do it again, but these days I do it for myself. That particular 924 is my favorite and is one of the nicest 924s I've had the pleasure of owning. They're not fast or crazy but man do I love the 924.

CarLava
CarLava New Reader
3/27/16 10:17 p.m.

i like what you did on the steering wheels. nice work!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/30/16 9:53 a.m.

What a cool story. You two were meant to be together. . . The car obviously, not the ex haha. It always makes me laugh when the person who likely despised the car ends up with it out of greed, or spite, or lawyer trickery or whatever the case. So cool it came back to you. More pics please!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SbLPVQpAmbgVwuSQ0AUNLZ9HZkaD4O1pKNSqI23wJaBcvpoW8AbLOW2vMT9sKGqV