AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/2/21 12:05 p.m.

I like it.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/21 12:44 p.m.

Looking freaking awesome.

FWIW-I just sent Adam and Mudflap an email. Thanks for the intro.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
3/2/21 1:13 p.m.

Stripes look good.

Reminds me of the Advan livery which isn't a bad thing

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/2/21 2:27 p.m.

In reply to DjGreggieP :

It appears that you've spotted my primary influence!

In reply to preach :

Nice, hope it works out well- you might be a little outside his regular route, but he's all over the place so it's definitely worth a shot.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/2/21 8:34 p.m.

So wait, no you're gonna rattle-can, or is that just a mockup?

Either way, I like it. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
3/3/21 8:32 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Trying to eyeball a potential vinyl design using painters tape- picture this blue as black, the rectangle is where the number panel will be:

The last two rally cars had stripes, I feel like this one should too.

Nope.......at the very least run stripes like these parallel to the A-pillar, or even a lower slope. The car is low and longish, the graphics need to accentuate that.

Example:See the source image

Lay your stripes down at an angle more akin to this one. Just my $0.02 worth as an engineer. My graphics experience consists of paying for my graphic designer son's education.wink

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/8/21 5:55 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I get it, but I don't like it for this car.  cheeky

I think if the stripes are that low, the moment we start throwing dirt off the rear tires the lower part of the pattern will disappear.   The angle currently on the painter's tape is perpendicular to the top of the quarter window and looks right to me, at least for this type of vehicle (lifted slightly and filthy vs. low and clean) but I'll keep staring at it.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
3/8/21 7:59 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I get it, but I don't like it for this car.  cheeky

....and it's your car, not mine. You need to be the one who turns around as you walk away, looks at the car , and smiles. I never considered how it would look dirty. Whatever you do it's a nice looking car and I welcome any car to rallying that adds some diversity to the inevitable gang of Subaru sedans.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/8/21 5:02 p.m.

Pulled it outside, definitely some tweaks will be needed to make this look right in vinyl.  Looks a little different out here, I think it's close though:

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/21 6:05 p.m.

Make at least one of the stripes go the entire way across the trunk and I'm sold.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/8/21 6:09 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Might black out the top of the trunk, we'll see what looks right.  Maybe I could black it out and invert the color so that stripe turns orange?

3/8/21 7:50 p.m.

Honestly, I feel like the lines need more rake to them. More like this angle

The ADVAN car's stripes are definitely more raked than yours are. 

3/8/21 7:52 p.m.

except move all my lines toward the back 2-3", so the forward-most one is just a shade behind the door seam, and then passes right by the rear tip of the little window. Then add the other lines back from tehre. 

I wish I had my photoshop here, but paint will have to do. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/8/21 7:57 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

I think it's the rearmost line not being far enough back that really throws it off, how about this sketch?

3/8/21 10:13 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

I think it's the rearmost line not being far enough back that really throws it off, how about this sketch?

That looks better but I still think it would be better if you rake them back a little bit more with the front line going just behind the window at the top and just behind the door at the bottom. I mean your way looks cool too I just feel like it needs a bit more lean back :)

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/9/21 9:53 a.m.

I'm with Josh. Moar angle = fasterer

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/21 9:54 a.m.

Laying them back would align them with the rear rake of the front spoiler cutout/indicator light. I also like them going from thin to thick in width without there being another thin line at the back. But, like, that's just my opinion, man.

kodachrome
kodachrome New Reader
3/9/21 2:47 p.m.
hobiercr (FS) said:

Laying them back would align them with the rear rake of the front spoiler cutout/indicator light. I also like them going from thin to thick in width without there being another thin line at the back. But, like, that's just my opinion, man.

I was just coloring at work so it's a little sloppy. But I like it. The thin line is to "close" the pattern since we don't want to black out the whole back end.

3/9/21 4:04 p.m.
kodachrome said:
hobiercr (FS) said:

I was just coloring at work so it's a little sloppy. But I like it. The thin line is to "close" the pattern since we don't want to black out the whole back end.

Way better :) but move the thin line in the frobt closer to the next libe with a smaller gap than the next gap. Each gap = proportional to the line to the right of it (except the little back line)

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/21 4:30 p.m.

Since we're all designing your livery for you, I agree that Kodachrome got it right.  I like the flow and I like how the stripes tie into the front end.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/9/21 4:40 p.m.

I have to give credit to DeadSkunk for starting it... since everyone has said tilt the stripes back, we will tilt them back!

In more important news, we're signed up for the Ice Breaker Rallysprint at Rausch Creek early next month.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/21 4:54 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

What would you have thought when you bought the car if someone said that you would be hitting a rally in under one year?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/9/21 5:17 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

"I guess this isn't such a bad idea after all"

TXratti
TXratti Reader
3/9/21 9:17 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Trying to eyeball a potential vinyl design using painters tape- picture this blue as black, the rectangle is where the number panel will be:

The last two rally cars had stripes, I feel like this one should too.

Can't get away from the Merkur /Sierra can you?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/21 9:22 p.m.

In reply to TXratti :

BIPLANE!!

1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 84

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Ctm6G7Hxr4N6pkgiwwIcWzqKxgKo58TYcZtbv6SoOHiM1cZskHdBs5IrdldWTNb