1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 84

Am i going to Salisbury for parts and bbq? I hope?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 7:43 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I have to see if that dude ever gets back to me again- I might drive overnight on Thursday and pick up parts Friday and come say hi?

Id buy you lunch! Second best burgers in the county? Shawneecreek and his better half dug them!

Let me know. Im game for whatever!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/7/21 8:08 a.m.

Is this a situation where you should claim this with your own insurance company and then let them go after the Focus driver? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 8:10 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I carry lots of liability coverage, but no collision, and it turns out "underinsured motorist" doesn't do what I thought it does- only covers medical.  I could probably claim that I need $10k worth of therapy after this, but other than that I appear to be out of options short of suing the guy... and I'm not gonna sue a dude who just totaled his car with minimum coverage.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/7/21 8:16 a.m.

Holy crap, I think minimum in Ohio is 15k/30k.  Considering how easily you can hit 5000 in damage on a modern car, I'm surprised anywhere allows coverage that low.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 8:20 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Yeah, sort of stinks- I never gave it much thought, this is the first vehicle I've ever owned that wouldn't total out at less than $5k.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
4/7/21 8:24 a.m.

Pretty sure Ohio is $25k and I guess I assumed most other states were at least in the same range. Might be worth getting comprehensive coverage, or at least un/under insured coverage. Both of those should be fairly cheap.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/7/21 8:27 a.m.

Makes sense. After I wrote above I began to think that you don't carry full coverage on the Scion...because race car. 

However, if you did have coverage, I began to wonder what Rally Car Enterprise would be supplying until yours was out of the shop.  devil

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 8:40 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

You know, a frequent topic of discussion in our house is whether we should try to become Rally Car Enterprise- just have some tough but otherwise minimum prep logbooked front wheel drive car kicking around that we can rent cheaply to other rally teams who need a car for a single event or newbs who want to give it a try.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
4/7/21 8:47 a.m.

Sorry you're going through this. If anyone can overcome this, it's you. I'm still impressed with how you revived that RX-7.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to John Welsh :

You know, a frequent topic of discussion in our house is whether we should try to become Rally Car Enterprise- just have some tough but otherwise minimum prep logbooked front wheel drive car kicking around that we can rent cheaply to other rally teams who need a car for a single event or newbs who want to give it a try.

Yes. Yes you should. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
4/7/21 8:55 a.m.

I still don't own anything that costs more than $5k but I started carrying collision on the theory that they'll at least pay up while sorting out fault and doing their own company-company litigation and so on, and sue the other party's insurance if needed, etc.  If something were truly my fault I'd be fine eating the cost of the car, but being without car OR money for a while for disputed fault or legit-not-my-fault would annoy the hell out of me.

Dang, had no clue $5k liability max was even legal.  Now I am doubling down on the above theory because WTF.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 9:24 a.m.

In reply to RedGT :

You make a good case for this incident as a cautionary tale- the only counterpoint I have there is that not having collision coverage on the constantly changing fleet of (checks insurance paperwork) currently 5 cars and 4 motorcycles has almost certainly saved us more money in the long run than it's hurting at this moment.  Everyone should do what makes sense for them, obviously- in a lot of cases that probably means checking your state minimums, which I admit I hadn't looked at in years.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
4/7/21 9:27 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Absolutely.  I am still floored that I just learned today that someone can drive around on the roads in this state with only $5k in liability coverage.  Thanks for discovering that, too bad it happened the hard way.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/7/21 10:46 a.m.

Such a bummer.  At least they had valid insurance at all.   

Minimum limits in PA are 15/30 for BI and 5 for PD amazingly.  It has been that way for a long time, the legislature needs to change it but it isn't a priority for most. As you said, uninsured/underinsured  motorist is only for injury in PA, other states vary (like MD has UM property damage available).  

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/21 11:27 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Id buy you lunch! Second best burgers in the county? Shawneecreek and his better half dug them!

Let me know. Im game for whatever!

I can confirm. It's worth the stop. Try the buttermilk pie. It's... interesting. ;P

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/21 12:00 p.m.

$5k. Really? That's nuts. I think it's been $50k in CA since the 90's.

I've been hit three times in the last 20 years. 2/3 ran off after the accident. I learned the hard way that "Uninsured Motorist" will only cover you if you can prove that the other driver didn't have insurance. I got stuck with a $500 deductible because of it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 7:26 p.m.

Took the front apart more- no hidden surprises as far as I can tell so that's good:

Took the vinyl off the quarter panel to save on shop labor- sure feels like I just put this on here.  A couple pieces were long enough to make the lift look cooler so at least there's that:

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/21 8:33 p.m.

Stinks that this happened, glad you are ok.

In NH you do not need insurance. Well until you hit someone...then the court makes you pay. Unfortunately you can't bleed a rock.

Good luck with the fix.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/9/21 4:31 p.m.

Installed an aluminum radiator while I'm in there:

Check out the core thickness difference:

Threw some foil tape on to seal the fan shroud nice and tight:

Installed, filled, started it to get the air out.  The car doesn't know its' hurt, runs fine:

Looks like my crimps were stronger than the wires on this deutsch connector for the cornering light:

Fixed:

I plugged it in, still works!  Then I drilled out some spot welds in preparation for new parts:

Road trip for a bunch of orange bits begins tomorrow and may take the better part of the weekend, dusterbd13 is coming through in a big way on the assist there.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/10/21 8:28 p.m.

So, mr shrug is on the return side.

Awesome dinner, with an awesome guy! Glad to know him, and even more glad to see him again.

He has parts crammed in a hatchback. 

Be safe my friend.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/10/21 11:31 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

The foil tape to seal the fans is a great idea! 

I put an aluminum radiator in the Miata last year and the core size difference was very similar. Unfortunately the fan mounting allowed a decent gap that did not help with cooling like it should. I was looking at the best solution to resolve that today and hadn't even thought of foil tape. Easy, quick, and replaceable I'll definitely be trying that myself. 

Good luck with the parts road trip and rebuild, with the DC Rallycross event postponed I guess it worked out that you didn't miss anything. Hopefully see you at the 2nd/3rd event. 

kodachrome
kodachrome New Reader
4/11/21 3:41 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

So, mr shrug is on the return side.

Awesome dinner, with an awesome guy! Glad to know him, and even more glad to see him again.

He has parts crammed in a hatchback. 

Be safe my friend.

He arrived around home 4am when I was waking up for horses. I heard BBQ was very good wink.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/11/21 6:41 a.m.

In reply to kodachrome :

It was! 

Thanks for letting me know he got home safely. 

1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 84

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lzWyiAjS2w4yRIfKwzIJvsArJ7PwDH3U1dYN2Zt4E3WroiFipEgcuTwEA4eB4xYX