John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
5/7/20 6:16 a.m.

Wow, this is a fast moving thread! 

Congrats.  Cool color. 

Great find on the ground strap! 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/7/20 6:25 a.m.

Cool purchase. I look forward to seeing it.

A couple of VW models - B3/B4 (Passat) & A4 (Jetta/Golf) platforms - also run a 5x100 wheel.  I have a couple of 15" versions if you want to do a fitment test.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 6:35 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Any idea on the offset?  It's looking like I want to be at least into the low +30mm range on a 6" wide wheel, and sub-20mm on a 7" wide wheel, assuming the brake clearance is there.

Speaking of which, Method offers these cool fitment cross sections that you can use to check clearance, so Sara printed out the MR501 VT-spec and I taped it to cardboard and cut it out to take a look:

Clears the brake caliper just fine:

But too close to call with the tie rod end:

So this more or less confirms that (as FooBag pointed out on the last page) the regular Subaru high clearance rally wheels clear the BRZ brakes just fine, but need enough offset to clear the tierod end.  This particular template is a 15x7 +48mm offset wheel so I didn't expect it to clear, although I was hopeful since they pop up used from time to time.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/20 6:45 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

what about the 502 vt spec? it is a +15 iirc

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 6:48 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

I have that template too, absolutely will fit over the brakes AND clear the tierod, but the tire will probably hit the fender.  7" wide is also going to be overkill for this on gravel, if going new I'd pay a little more to go 6" wide so that 185 gravel tires will be wide enough to protect the wheel from rock hits.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
5/7/20 6:49 a.m.

According to the OEM Wheel Guide Database, the Avus and Monterey wheels have a 38mm offset.  The Avus wheel is apparently one of the lightest 15" wheels that fit a Mk IV.  The Avus wheels are currently on the parts wagon, but I have a set of steel wheels that could go on it when it's sold. The Montereys were the wheels that came on my TDI, although I have run 16" BBS RX-IIs on it since the OE tires wore out (along with rotating snow tires on 15" steel wheels). 

FWIW, the B4 15" wheels appear to have a 35mm offset, but they aren't the easiest to find.

I'm in NH this week, but I may be able to check something this weekend.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 6:52 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

No rush, but an "inside barrel" measurement or two would tell me immediately whether they're worth looking at.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
5/7/20 7:03 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I should be able to get those this weekend.

TXratti
TXratti Reader
5/7/20 7:32 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Badge swapping has been done, more than once. You will (*should*) have no problems. Hey, Dave Clark successfully got Ford Contingency by calling his XR4Ti a Ford Sierra a few times... 

http://rallyracingnews.com/ara/olympus18-natres.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 8:26 a.m.

A quick list of the codes this currently has stored in case I forget or clear them:

P0011 Intake Cam Over-Advanced Bank 1
P0018 Crank/Cam Position Correlation Bank 2 Sensor A
P219A Bank 1 AFR Imbalance

And pending:

P0024 Exhaust Cam Over-Advanced Bank 2
P0014 Exhaust Cam Over-Advanced Bank 1
P000A Engine Position System Bank 1
P000B Engine Position System Bank 2
P000D Cam Position Response Bank 1

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 9:31 a.m.

I poked at Subaru again for the recall history since I really want to know if I can start tearing into this thing.  As far as I can tell, this is either a case of a bunch of bad sensors/actuators, bad signal from same, ECU issue, or clogged oil passages preventing proper AVCS movement.  But that's all I can tell without starting to pick it apart.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/20 9:36 a.m.

Wait, you mean that asking subaru isn't as simple as calling a dealer and telling them the vin, and then they type it into the computer and tell you the history?

If the first dealer didn't want to do it while I was on the phone I'd call the next. Also, you can invoke 'possible customer' status by saying "my friend bought a car from you guys a couple months ago" or something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I'm using the dealer that performed the Takata recall on our Impreza... which is visibly beat up, skidplated, etc. and they didn't bat an eye.  If anyone is going to actually perform recall service on this thing it's them.

But yeah, it does seem like they should be able to handle it quickly- limited staff, maybe.

MrChaos
5/7/20 10:09 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I'm using the dealer that performed the Takata recall on our Impreza... which is visibly beat up, skidplated, etc. and they didn't bat an eye.  If anyone is going to actually perform recall service on this thing it's them.

But yeah, it does seem like they should be able to handle it quickly- limited staff, maybe.

wouldnt it be better to do at a toyota dealership since it is a toyota currently? And the recall is only for 2013 FRS'

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 10:13 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Probably.  This dealer also has a Toyota branch so they really seem like they should be the ultimate combo for servicing these, if they haven't followed up I'll call the Toyota side this afternoon.

thewizard
thewizard New Reader
5/7/20 10:38 a.m.

Give me a ring when you are ready to cage it, Chris. We'll work something out and I can get the the main components of the cage ready for you and you can button up the rest! (Cut and notch straight bars) Might wanna also consider some one way Samsonas Gravel suspension...

Oscar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to thewizard :

Cage is a long way away still but I appreciate the offer!  Suspension planning will commence soon, I've got some budget options (and a few components) lying around I'd like to look at before I start considering the high dollar stuff.

MrChaos
5/7/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

i believe there is a trd rally suspension availble

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 11:41 a.m.

Apparently this car has NOT had the valve spring recall done, but has had the others (?) so it's possible the engine has been out.  In theory this means a dealer will open it up and change the springs free of charge, attempting to sort that now.

EDIT: Yes they will!  Question now is what happens if they find other problems on their way to replace them, those can't possibly be fixed for free?  They're having somebody call me (again) since an unregistered car during the apocalypse with other possible issues is a little bit of a special case.

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
5/7/20 12:49 p.m.

I've nothing useful to contribute except to say I'll be following along, I do like your threads and something like this is right up my street - happy to have another interesting thread to read whilst stuck in lockdown here. yes

MrChaos
5/7/20 12:51 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Apparently this car has NOT had the valve spring recall done, but has had the others (?) so it's possible the engine has been out.  In theory this means a dealer will open it up and change the springs free of charge, attempting to sort that now.

EDIT: Yes they will!  Question now is what happens if they find other problems on their way to replace them, those can't possibly be fixed for free?  They're having somebody call me (again) since an unregistered car during the apocalypse with other possible issues is a little bit of a special case.

if it is because of the valve spring issue I believe they will replace the engine.or at least the head on that side

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 1:04 p.m.

Another wheel update- these 16" Impreza wheels fit like they were made for it:

While not much help for gravel, this means that I have a cheap source of wheels for snow and ice tires to go on.  Maybe tarmac stuff too if there are events on pavement that are still choppy enough to want some sidewall.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 1:14 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

If I get a free factory replacement engine for this I am going to hide in a bunker because I will have used up my entire supply of luck for at least a few months!

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/7/20 1:49 p.m.

Would you run snows for a winter rallysprint anyway, like wmwr?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/7/20 1:51 p.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, I ran Altimax Arctics with square(ish) cut edges and an additional groove cut into them in 2019 and was extremely happy with them.  I'd run them again for most winter conditions.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 84

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BPWiMi3UkdbHiuj6CfgxYD9gK1IrcxB9mcxQkx1LneMLgvSWhw2SDxRcueEeXZj3