1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 84
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/21 8:58 p.m.

Despite the long thrash of putting a radiator that is surprisingly wrong in every dimension into the truck while it is 90+ degrees with no shade I had a great time. It's always fun to be at a rally and SOFR always provides stories. 

Talking to Brian about rallymoto kinda makes me want to build my CT90 for a rallymoto event and go have fun with the throttle pinned bringing up the back of the pack. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/14/21 9:02 p.m.
paranoid_android (Forum Forumer) said:

It was great to see old friends and meet new ones- Kimmet, Krista, John, Cole, et al.  Rally makes my soul happy laugh

Rally is basically a story generator- good, bad, unbelievable, bizarre.  It helps that everyone who gravitates toward it is some sort of character or another.  cheeky

EvanB said:

Talking to Brian about rallymoto kinda makes me want to build my CT90 for a rallymoto event and go have fun with the throttle pinned bringing up the back of the pack. 

I am so, so in for a thread called "Evan vs. the Maximum Permitted Lateness- RallyMoto CT90" so tell me when you've started it!

Thanks again to both of you for getting the truck back together for us.  If you think about it, every other service crew at the event had to make repairs that would last, at most, 100 miles- yours had to go like 600 miles, so you executed the highest longevity repair in the service park that day, and did it with nothing but the wrong parts, hose clamps, zip ties, and silicone tape.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/15/21 5:23 a.m.

Photo from an L2 on pavement that had dirt all over it from the fast guys taking a big cut:

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/15/21 9:21 a.m.

New shorter title, because apparently it's time to...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/15/21 11:38 a.m.

The big rally lights shared a ground bolt with the factory headlights, which I think got loose from being hot with all that current, vibratey, and tiny.  Let's fix that.

The ABS module bracket probably doesn't need this extra leg now that it has no motor on it:

That frees up a nice chunky bolt that's well protected for grounding the big lights:

And we're back to having the full array of photon cannons:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/16/21 9:05 a.m.

David Cosseboom likes to upload his photos one at a time but the wait is worth it:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/16/21 2:39 p.m.

Up in the air, washed, and it's inspection time.  This spot is going to need frequent repainting by the looks of it:

Other than the immediate surface rust that showed up in a bunch of places though... it all looks good.  Not one paint stripe has moved:

Front skid looks great even after some solid use:

Tire wear was good, although the inside vs. outside wear indicates that I should probably try a lower pressure than 31psi which is about what Hoosier recommended.  The fronts could be rotated to the rear and run as they are, the rears could use some grooving if I want them to be super duper awesome again but would certainly still work:

I'm trying a new thing where I label the used ones so I don't have to stare at the tread pattern forever to determine what they've done already:

That's 200 miles total, 82 special stage miles, and a front.  This will probably become a rear tire for NEFR.

paperpaper
paperpaper Reader
6/16/21 3:17 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Try 20 psi hot ;)

paperpaper
paperpaper Reader
6/16/21 3:39 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Hey now car works where it counts! Very strange the trans mount loosened. possible mixture of mounts issue. maybe i should get matching revshift trans mounts to match motor ones, ditch any vibrations. 

Car is fast i did not drive it to its potential yet. Letting Sam get up to speed also. not an easy task to go that fast and hard on your first race. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/16/21 6:38 p.m.

For what it's worth I ran 25 PSI hot. I've now done two complete rallies on these federals and they are basically showing no wear at all. I'm sure I'm giving up some grip someplace but it's nice not having to buy new tires frequently lol

6/16/21 6:41 p.m.
paperpaper said:

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Hey now car works where it counts! Very strange the trans mount loosened. possible mixture of mounts issue. maybe i should get matching revshift trans mounts to match motor ones, ditch any vibrations. 

Car is fast i did not drive it to its potential yet. Letting Sam get up to speed also. not an easy task to go that fast and hard on your first race. 

Hey I was trying to compliment you saying you are fast as hell in spite of your car ;) I know it works where it counts. You are like the anti Ozgur: no matter how much he preps his car, It will not finish. For you no matter how much goes wrong, you will still finish lol 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/16/21 6:41 p.m.

Yeah, I'll go lower I just wanted to start with what Hoosier recommended and go from there.

In other news, a well reviewed local tuner seems to think he can improve upon a number of things including the misfire code that popped up on the longer stages so I guess we're going to explore that side of things a bit.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/16/21 9:08 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Drop your Impreza off for slightly more excitement and area under the curve while you are at it.

paperpaper
paperpaper Reader
6/17/21 2:37 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

We just made sure to leave Sams Crosstrek at the campground to ward off possible rally engine swaps. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/18/21 1:58 p.m.

Less than a week after the rally and the car is clean and driving around like nothing happened.  This is unprecedented.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/18/21 3:21 p.m.

Nice work! The car looks great. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/18/21 4:39 p.m.

The truck, on the other hand...

That radiator was so wrong in every way despite technically being for the same generation of truck.  Silicone tape is amazing and if you don't carry it in your emergency repair stuff you should.  I recommend bringing Evan and Brian too if at all possible.  cheeky

We're going to keep this trans cooler but it needs to be protected better, one last look at the awesome Mad Max setup before removing it:

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/21 4:42 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

It starts with getting sideways in an 86.  Soon you have bosozoku oil coolers strapped to the front of your vehicle.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/21 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

A Bosozoku tow vehicle may be my new life goal. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/18/21 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Towsozoku!

paranoid_android (Forum Forumer)
paranoid_android (Forum Forumer) UberDork
6/18/21 7:27 p.m.

Were you able to find the right radiator in PA?  And a shroud? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/18/21 9:08 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android (Forum Forumer) :

Slightly different plan is formulating, details to follow once I figure out how I'm going to do it.

The top picture here is from this day 5 years ago:

Different level of fit and finish but remarkably similar, really.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/20/21 3:12 p.m.

Big dumb truck now has a big Griffin radiator adapted to it- with the adapters removed a stock radiator would still fit.

Fan shroud made of scrap and a couple of unknown 15" junkyard fans I had laying around:

Now just plumbing, wiring, and ducting and the frankenradiator setup will be complete.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/21 4:06 p.m.

Lets see if this works..

6/20/21 8:38 p.m.

^^ way cooler than my turn there lol. 

1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 84

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LAeqCq5jNWDwGBJYpt5KDRl6vM33Hos1vJKifv4pLS8Lu8EH8r8Y4oKkmuvQUKxC