1 2 3 4 5
Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
5/7/17 2:41 p.m.
crisd wrote: In reply to Robbie: I would hate to think how much trouble trying to sync the two would be!

From what i have read, apparently with twin engine cars, the road does the syncing for you. Having two automatic engines makes it easier.

crisd
crisd New Reader
5/7/17 7:57 p.m.

Where does the black wire go?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/7/17 8:31 p.m.

To the left of the pink one, but nowhere near that other one with a tracer.....

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/17 11:58 p.m.

Full marks so far. Well done.

crisd
crisd New Reader
5/8/17 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

Thank you Brett.

So I should add to the build description, I am using the full Buick wiring harness, all of the Isuzu stuff is pulled. I haven't tackled all the specifics but hopefully there is plenty of wire length available or extra wire left over to lengthen wires too short. So far, the dash, radiator temp, radiator fans, and steering rack wires are the only ones too short.

crisd
crisd New Reader
5/13/17 10:32 p.m.

Got distracted while messing with the wiring, installed the mirrors.

crisd
crisd New Reader
5/20/17 11:51 a.m.

Before During After

crisd
crisd New Reader
5/26/17 10:22 p.m.

What do you do when you have about 7 plugs that you have nothing to plug into and about 20 cut wires to nothing? Start at the PCM plugs, label each wire and trace it to its end to figure out what it is. WOW this is a pain in the arse... but necessary.

crisd
crisd New Reader
6/13/17 7:33 p.m.

Hey guess what... there is this thing called VATS Pass/Key and it really doesn't like being cut out and thrown in the trash. Fortunately you can reprogram the PCM to bypass it and my wiring harness is still all unwrapped. Now I'm glad I bought the factory manuals!

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
6/14/17 1:17 p.m.

Gotta love another Rear/Mid engined truck in the mix!

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/17 1:51 p.m.

This thing is wildly cool! I hope you're able to attend the Challenge!

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/14/17 3:03 p.m.
crisd wrote: I'm tracking only General Tire and CRC are our sponsors... am I missing anyone?

CRC and Miller Electric are the associate event sponsors. General tire is only sponsoring the General Tire Challenge this year but they're still involved with the event. And I think we might have a nice big sponsor announcement coming up soon too!

Awesome build. Can't wait to see it in person!

Ed Higginbotham
6/14/17 3:45 p.m.

Oh and by the way, if you want this thread moved to the builds section, just say the word.

crisd
crisd New Reader
6/15/17 9:46 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham:

Hi Ed, sure this thread belongs in the build section. Also, as soon as you can say what the new sponsor is, let me know. I can't suck up to the magazine for photo ops if I don't get them painted on my truck!

crisd
crisd New Reader
6/15/17 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Lof8:

Thanks, I'm on track I believe to make it this year. If not this year... most definitely next year!

Ed Higginbotham
6/16/17 8:20 a.m.

Moved to the builds section. And we'll let you all know of any new sponsor announcements.

crisd
crisd New Reader
6/16/17 10:08 p.m.

I flipped the torsion bar keys to lower the truck and it dropped the truck frame right on top of the A-arms giving me 0" of suspension travel. So I had to bend the A-arms to drop under the frame then back up, kind of like a banana. I jacked up the truck, put a 1" socket between the frame and A-arm then removed the jack. Then heated up the A-arm with a torch until it bent under the trucks weight. Then repeated to the other three points of contact, then back around to all a second time. In the end I now have 2" of clearance. The truck is pretty low now! Is there a minimum ground clearance we need to have or minimum suspension travel? lol

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
6/16/17 10:45 p.m.

That would affect the alignment a bit. But I don't recall seeing that you've crossed that bridge yet.

crisd
crisd New Reader
6/17/17 9:11 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry:

My alignment has changed so many times that I've learned that it will be the LAST thing to do. I need to get the truck to its final total weight before I mess with cutting and moving the upper A-arm mounting points. I'll move the lower geometry by rotating the key with a bolt I'll weld in to make small adjustments on the ride height. Once the final weight and ride height is set, I'll cut, move, weld the upper support.

crisd
crisd New Reader
6/17/17 9:14 a.m.

My next task is getting the radiator hoses/tubing done. I found some chain link fence poles that I'm going to use. The diameter is pretty close, I just need to figure out a good way to bend them. I'm headed to Harbor Freight now to pick up a tubing bender. Edit: I bought a tubing bender set up at Norther Tool on sale for $49. I cut up the hoses I had and used left over fence tubing to piece together the bends I needed from the engine to the lower tubing. Worked great!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
6/19/17 2:39 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

And congrats on making Reader's Ride of the Week.

crisd
crisd New Reader
6/19/17 7:59 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy:

I did? Cool! (found it... https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/readers-ride-busuzu/ )

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/19/17 8:11 p.m.

50 dollar tube bender??????

More information please

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
6/19/17 8:36 p.m.

This is awesome! This year is going to be a good one!

crisd
crisd New Reader
6/19/17 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Northern Tool. It's the bench mount one. Mine was on sale because it had been opened and was missing some bolts. I have 100's of bolts so I didn't care. To mount it, I sunk four studs into my driveway to mount the base. I can now bolt it down, bend my tube, unbolt it and put it away in my garage. Mounted to the ground has a few advantages, one you can lay the tubing on the ground to set it up, there is plenty of room, no need for a helper to hold up the tubing, the base is solid - no flex, and it doesn't take up room in a garage.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F7pIapOcrOaKVvUw084qpkeocGRQh7mNJMEqxYFLkrjYPzAoRoGnu190VmMhf4W6