1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22
RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/9/21 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

Capricorn bowden tube and spare nozzles are the only thing you really need to spend money on besides filament

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/9/21 1:11 p.m.

Okay, I actually have all I need then for that. I've got loads of syringes and I'm never short of acetone. So, reflective side down? Seems easy enough!

RacetruckRon
3/9/21 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

Reflective side up

So you can see the look on your face when you remove your successful prints

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/9/21 1:34 p.m.

Oh!  You mean small shards of glass pull up. I understood that as shard/flakes of the reflective material, hence thinking reflective side down.

RacetruckRon
3/9/21 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

they can, I've only had that happen on old mirror tiles with giant prints at had a lot of surface area touching the bed

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/9/21 1:48 p.m.

Gotcha. Well, I need to make a run to HD for a 2" PVC coupler with an inlet to route the pressure relief hose for the pool filter to the backwash line I made, so I'll grab some today if I can make it out of the house again.

java230
java230 UberDork
3/10/21 9:32 a.m.

Well my first real print failed.... Two parts printed as one.... Stopped it and moved in Creality slicer. Started again.... Raft got screwy this time but I am letting it run.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/10/21 9:45 a.m.

Second pic looks like bad adhesion. Try re-leveling the bed and using some hairspray or glue on the surface.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/21 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

I'm thinking its not leveled properly.  Looks like it is too far away from the bed on the initial layer.

java230
java230 UberDork
3/10/21 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Hmmm maybe? I pushed on the filament and it seemed to start extruding again, maybe slipping?

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I literally re-leved right before I started, but maybe I was off a hair? It is in one far corner vs the center.

It was in the raft, so I let it continue. Maybe warped a little in the end but we will see.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/10/21 11:10 a.m.

I've had the drive gear slip down, so I had to pull it back up and tighten the set screw. No issues with filament feeding since.

Speaking of slicers, I've noticed a difference in print quality from slicer to slicer; some things come out better with Cura, some things come out better with Creality's slicer. Wondering if there's a better, more consistent option.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/10/21 12:01 p.m.
Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/10/21 12:38 p.m.

Well, to my surprise (I'm not, actually), the closest Home Depot didn't have ANY mirror tiles despite the website saying it was in stock for pickup at said store. They didn't have any of the PVC I needed either...

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/21 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

Not sure how it works with Home Depot, but the Lowe's website is usually fairly accurate with stock like that so I have occasionally done store pickup while I'm in the store and can't find something that says is in stock and let them go find the stuff for me. 

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/10/21 8:33 p.m.

Lowe's is always accurate, but it's also further away from the house. I went with convenience today, and paid the price. There have been stock discrepancies with HD and their site well before this pandemic ever set in. They're supposed to be building a Lowe's right outside my current neighborhood, which would be awesome.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/10/21 11:01 p.m.

Just got one of these for small projects at work. We picked up the yellow springs, glass bed and auto bed lever sensor (?) for the print head. Pretty stoked to try it out! 

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/10/21 11:56 p.m.
bentwrench said:

What upgrades does this need? (besides a glass bed)

Not finding any v2 machines under $200....

https://creality3d.shop/collections/3d-printer/products/creality-ender-3-3d-printer-economic-ender-diy-kits-with-resume-printing-function-v-slot-prusa-i3-220x220x250mm

Nothing. Run it until the plastic extruder breaks then think about upgrading to a metal one. Maybe capricorn tube too. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/11/21 8:16 a.m.

Haven't visited this thread in awhile, see a lot of glass bed comments.  I went to a PEI steel bed a few months ago and wish I had started with it.  Initial layer at 65C then 60C stopped the lifting, and when I'm done I just pick up the bed and flex it, poof the print pops right off.

Little acetone and ready to go again.  Anyone else using PEI steel?

(That said, I might be tempted to try PETG now and thought I read somewhere I'd have to switch back to the original bed.)

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/11/21 11:17 a.m.

My original bed is toast thanks to my last ABS print job. Heat from the bed softened the adhesive so it lifted, then the bed material itself fused to the my print and literally ripped apart :( I had just ordered it too, but I still got a lot of PLA prints done with it, so it wasn't a complete waste.

java230
java230 UberDork
3/12/21 11:44 a.m.

Two failures..... Set it up to run and left it overnight, came back to 1/4 of the print. Reset this morning, and it got 80% through it.... Was just running around like 10 layers up and not extruding. Feed issue?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/12/21 12:04 p.m.

If it got stuck at a certain height and stopped feeding, its possible that the Z drive isn't allowing it to move up, then it gets clogged.  Fairly common with new Ender 3s

Check your z-drive screw.  Make sure it is loose enough and lubricated.  I like a dry-film chain lube

java230
java230 UberDork
3/12/21 12:17 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

If it got stuck at a certain height and stopped feeding, its possible that the Z drive isn't allowing it to move up, then it gets clogged.  Fairly common with new Ender 3s

Check your z-drive screw.  Make sure it is loose enough and lubricated.  I like a dry-film chain lube

It was still moving around like it was printing, just nothing coming out.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/21 12:21 p.m.

I have put mine together and found a place on the workbench!

Maybe this weekend I'll start pooping out plastic with it. First, some White Lightning for the Z screw apparently...

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/21 12:24 p.m.

In reply java230 :

Does your extruder arm look like this?

If so it's time to swap on an aluminum extruder.

java230
java230 UberDork
3/12/21 12:32 p.m.

In reply to bgkast (Forum Supporter) :

I hope not! Ill check..... Its literally 3 days old....

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0uJsoq1vANhS9yQhIP2N2HfcTHJa980JXUE23suDD29Sp4chg2QzckSVYcAQPQqo