1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 ... 146
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/4/20 12:44 p.m.

So I went all the way back and read the link and all,  but who exactly is John and what did he say many  years ago to make you keep the truck? 

Still talking to him?

Pete

Toyota electric power steering column with computer that defaults with power and ground 

Gm tilt column from something (truck is my guess)

yours if you can use them 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/6/20 12:19 p.m.
NOHOME said:

So I went all the way back and read the link and all,  but who exactly is John and what did he say many  years ago to make you keep the truck? 

Still talking to him?

Pete

Pete,

It isn't that much more complicated. I was ready to be done. I had no money, no skills and not enough time. His position was that the pile of parts was costing anything to sit there. Go and weld something to something else. See what happens. He got me going again. He's still out there, but he's infrequently on the forum. He comments every now and then.

Last night I wanted to take care of the extra mirror holes. I took care of a lot of filler in the area to clean it out, and found two new holes, drilled for seemingly no reason, and filled those too.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/6/20 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

You're a huge source of parts! 

I still have not decided what to do yet with the column.

Opt 1: Buy a 4 spd column for this truck from a wrecking yard. It will cost around $100. It will bolt right in.

Opt 2: Buy parts to reassemble my column (this is a bad plan because the column shift part I wanted to replace in the first place cost more than Opt 1)

Opt 3: Buy an aftermarket column with tilt, so it's super nice and new and purty. $$$

Opt 4: Retrofit the electric power steering setup into the truck. I don't like this idea anymore, honestly. It would be neat, but would require a large amount of fabrication work, and it isn't really necessary.

So, Option 1 or 3 seem the best bets. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/6/20 12:58 p.m.

I forgot to mention the issue with the second column you had there, the key is in the dash, so I need something very early to interchange properly.

Well, i tried! Sorry I don't have anything closer to what you need. 

And i can't blame you at all for passing on the electric assist steering. I did too.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/6/20 1:27 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Well, i tried! Sorry I don't have anything closer to what you need. 

And i can't blame you at all for passing on the electric assist steering. I did too.

You are the best. I mean that, I appreciate you offering them up.

In reply to tuna55 :

I do what I can! If i come across other potentially useful stuff,  ill let you know!

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/6/20 1:45 p.m.
tuna55 said:

I forgot to mention the issue with the second column you had there, the key is in the dash, so I need something very early to interchange properly.

You could hacksaw off the key, and JB Weld or Epoxy Putty the hole closed, finish and paint.

Vans had the key in the dash until the 80's, but those have all but dried up where I am.  I bought a '68 column for my '61 (I wanted a column shift) from someone who went to a tilt column.  I don't need no stinkin' tilt.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/6/20 2:46 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

I could do the same with my column, just with the knob for column shift, but I still have to assemble it. Maybe that's easier.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/6/20 3:14 p.m.

For later. Maybe.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/6/20 3:17 p.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/6/20 6:32 p.m.
7/6/20 6:46 p.m.

I'd send you the 4-speed column from my '61, but it is noticeably different than yours, plus shipping from Canada.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
7/6/20 6:50 p.m.

I've followed this thread for white a while but forgotten a lot. Any chance on a "cliffnotes" post?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/6/20 6:59 p.m.

Play "name that part" with this picture 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/6/20 7:00 p.m.
solfly said:

I've followed this thread for white a while but forgotten a lot. Any chance on a "cliffnotes" post?

The engine and transmission have moved back one inch to accommodate a one-piece aluminum drive shaft. The suspension is done, the fuel lines are done, the steering column and brake lines seem to be complete before the thing will move. I will probably start bringing out individual pieces to get primer soon. Things like the doors, hood, fenders.

I recently discovered that I can use the steering column that I had as parts from when this thing was taken apart. I just need to make sure I have the right parts.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/7/20 7:49 a.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/8/20 10:33 p.m.

OK I need some help figuring out which part of the column goes where. Too many peices, not enough diagrams. Help?

7/9/20 12:06 a.m.

I had my '61 column completely apart, and my '68 column completely apart, but that was MONTHS ago. I did eventually figure out where it all went. The tin plate might cover where the PRND2L switch used to go.

This is my best guess/remembery:

7/9/20 12:07 a.m.

The big round stamped sheet metal thingie holds the rubber seal down at the firewall?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/9/20 8:02 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

That is super helpful, thanks!

7/9/20 11:23 a.m.

Wait, the cast aluminum thing is #35, not #33.

The tin half-circle might go where the prnd2l switch was, or it may cover the hole where the shifter mechanism came out of.

It took me a number of hours to figure out how mine went back together. It made enough sense taking it apart that I didn't bother remembering at all.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/10/20 4:05 a.m.
7/10/20 11:41 a.m.

The spring DOES go on the universal-joint end. The column has that funky big spacer cup which is held with two bolts in angular slotted holes so you can adjust spring pre-load (I guess). The ball bearing sits in there and appears to have not attachment at all. The spring pushes against the universal (or steering shaft in your case), and holds the bearing in the poorly fitting cup. The bolts for the cup are only deep enough to hold the cup.  Might be 1/4-20 or 5/16-18 x1/2" or something.

I think the steel washer with its plastic bushing go in the steering wheel end of the column. The steel washer should sit against some wee "louvers" to keep it from falling inside.  Should center the steering wheel end of the shaft. You can see the "louvers" at 0.22 under the cone.Crazy gasket at 4:20 goes at the dashboard.

Horn button / turn signal thing is #31

Oh, wait.....

This might help, if the Tilt stuff doesn't confuse you:

1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 ... 146

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CWxfrokGJ8vLfKRbvWetXpJPDXVlxWZqavuskrA3REc3V7Ti3478EHIruBZ3hY1L