1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 ... 146
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/20/20 5:44 a.m.

You try flux when soldering the wires? Crimp would be the prefered method, but the wires do look a bit scuzzy and flux would help. Also a lot of solder nowdays is lead-free and it needs to be hotter before it will flow, pita cause it hits the insulation as it heats the wires.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/20/20 12:26 p.m.

Yes I always flux. I believe The blob of solder was because of how hard it was to get it to flow. I could not crimp because the conductor on the fat wire is far too large for the terminal even before the single strand was added. That terminal originally had a very short conductor with red insulation which these both were soldered to.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/2/21 5:31 p.m.

I called in an expert to help seal the transmission

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
1/2/21 6:11 p.m.
tuna55 said:

I called in and expert to help seal the transmission

Picture of the New Year Congrats!!!!!  thank you.... 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/2/21 6:35 p.m.

Then you're going to love this

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/4/21 7:38 a.m.

She worked with me a bit yesterday and she (and here I do mean she. I helped, but my eight year old daughter really did it) filled the transmission with fluid. Once I figured out that I had installed the 1/2 and R arms on each other, It works great. Well. It works pretty well. It doesn't love shifting to reverse.

A sidebar here. Putting the side cover on was really hard. The cover has to interface with the fork shafts. The 3/4 shift fork is heavily offset. Enough that you can't just install it once you engage the shaft with the cover. If you look at the picture where she is cleaning the cover with brake cleaner, you can see these pivoting sprung arms, and you can see the 3/4 fork is missing. You have to put the form in the transmission, slide the cover into position, not lose the little spring, pivot the fork holder deal in the cover to engage the cover, slide the cover in a bit more, then reach around the top of the cavity and hold the arms up out of the way so that the 3/4 fork shaft has a place to go. All without disturbing the RTV.

At one point I called TunaDad to get pointers. I got a laugh, some swearing, and "take the transmission out and do it on the bench". When I started to explain my issue, he got louder, swore more, and the phone call got cut short. Somehow.

I thought of working with my daughter, and how much her experience helping Dad in the garage will differ from mine. Most of the time I was chased out, or just left because it wasn't going to go well. It took a lot longer to do some of this because she was there, but I didn't swear, yell at her, or tell her to go away. I think that's a win. If that's the reason why my restoration takes so long, well, ok. My Dad, before racing and while he was still married (the first time), restored a GTO. I don't really remember anything about it other than it was yellow, and the only time he drove it was from the driveway to the trailer. He had to sell it to pay the divorce lawyer.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/4/21 9:05 a.m.

Awesome video of bleeding the brakes. The leak thing struck home because, seriously, leaky brake lines have been the curse of 2020 for me. For that matter, anything liquid seems reluctant to stay on its side of the playing field this last year.

I better get a move on with my truck project or you will drive this under its own power before I get the F2 on the road!

Pete

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/4/21 9:33 a.m.

It's good to be able to recognize your own upbringing and that there is a better way.

It's also easy to fall into the habit or routine or whatever of being your father - that was your "normal" growing up.

Kudos!  It's worth it!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/4/21 11:25 a.m.

For bonus points, I need to learn how the fuel vent lines and the charcoal canister work. My canister has broken nipples, and I can't find any good diagrams on how or where to hook these, and where to run the lines. My little girl is eager to make the truck make some noise.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/4/21 8:57 p.m.

She wanted to help do something tonight despite nearly zero time, so we put on the fan belt. The bad thing is that I realized that the fan blades are too close to the shroud. I have to either trim them, trim the shroud, or switch to an electric setup.

1/4/21 9:37 p.m.

She could cut the belt to fish it through the blades.....

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/8/21 8:24 a.m.

Here are the current decision points.

1: The fan is way too big for the shroud at 20". I can buy another new for $40 which will fit at 18". I can also buy an electric fan, mount it inside the shroud, like I wanted to anyway, and the thermostatic controller for around $100. This will take longer, but may be what I want in the end.

2: I need a seat to move the thing around with. Jegs is backordered forever, Summit has one but I was trying to avoid them. I want to spend like $50.

She helped me pull the fan off and do an oil change last night., Pics to follow.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/8/21 8:25 a.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/8/21 8:40 a.m.

Why so much for the thermostatic switch? I use these  ( not this exact one, but  same idea) on all my electric fan installs and just pic the temp range that I want.

As to the fan, cant you just buzz 1/2" off the blades?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/8/21 8:46 a.m.
NOHOME said:

As to the fan, cant you just buzz 1/2" off the blades?

For now that may be the ticket.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/8/21 8:47 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Why so much for the thermostatic switch? I use these  ( not this exact one, but  same idea) on all my electric fan installs and just pic the temp range that I want.

That price was the fan, the relays, the wiring harnesses and the switch.

1/8/21 9:26 a.m.

I am using Ford Windstar dual fans from the junkyard on my '77 (fit almost perfect) - they drew more amperage than the stock alternator puts out (but an '85 Camaro 5.0 HO bolts in and is 95A).  Relays can be had cheap - grab one from the starter wiring recall on Cavalier's and Sunfires.  I went through a SLEW of temp switches, then finally bought an adjustable fan controller from Rock Auto for about $17 and haven't had a problem since.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/9/21 7:34 p.m.

I did whizz off a bit of the fan today. Tuna kid 4 helped me fix the ignition switch. Together we made the engine spin over with the key today. First time in a decade 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/9/21 8:19 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

That is awesome! 

Assuming the belt is now on, what do you need besides plug wires in order to run the engine?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/9/21 8:25 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to tuna55 :

That is awesome! 

Assuming the belt is now on, what do you need besides plug wires in order to run the engine?

Let's see, the battery, the negative battery cable, distributor wiring, vacuum lines, the alternator wiring (I still don't know the size of the small stud on the back) something attached to the manifolds temporarily, and that's really it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/9/21 8:28 p.m.

Oh, and a new cap for the charcoal canister so I can plug in the fuel vents. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/10/21 6:59 a.m.

I figured she could get one in the color she wanted since she has spent so much time in the garage with me. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
1/10/21 4:18 p.m.

New creeper and your favorite stuffed animal.....what else could a girl want?

Great shot, has made my day thanks T55 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/10/21 4:59 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

Amen

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/10/21 7:26 p.m.

Boys got a turn tonight

1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 ... 146

You'll need to log in to post.