1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 ... 146
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/10/21 7:26 p.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/21 1:40 p.m.

The boys have their own tools, given by TunaDad. My daughter felt a bit left out, which partially drove the decision to buy her a creeper. Anyway the boys swapped out the thermostat and together we installed the battery tray, battery, and reinstalled the fan.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/11/21 1:44 p.m.

This thread continues to be a bright spot in the world for me. Thank you for being you. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/21 8:08 p.m.

Thank you!!

Here are some fun ones from tonight. Easy stuff, removing charcoal canister brackets, fixing badly fastened wheel cylinders, measuring vacuum lines and vent lines. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/12/21 11:30 a.m.

The charcoal canister is toast. Every time I touch it it breaks in a new way.

What's a good way to handle the tank vent otherwise? 

1/12/21 11:33 a.m.

Hardline from vent nipple at the tank. I run it up to the highest point i can get easily near the tank, then bend a 180 in the line and run it back down a few inches. Cap off with a cheap fuel filter to keep dirt and mud dauber out. 

Also, why no a charcoal canister donor? Like an 88-98 chevy round one from the cors support?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/12/21 12:49 p.m.

Hmm, I already do have the loop in the vent line. I was hoping to maintain the ability to grab fuel vapors from the canister. I have an idea though. Stay tuned.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
1/12/21 1:02 p.m.
tuna55 said:

The boys have their own tools, given by TunaDad. My daughter felt a bit left out, which partially drove the decision to buy her a creeper. Anyway the boys swapped out the thermostat and together we installed the battery tray, battery, and reinstalled the fan.

I'm so glad you decided to stick with it. Sharing the build with the TunaKids will be something they will remember forever.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/12/21 1:35 p.m.
JohnInKansas said:
tuna55 said:

I'm so glad you decided to stick with it. Sharing the build with the TunaKids will be something they will remember forever.

Thanks dude! Your name is still in the title for a reason.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/12/21 1:36 p.m.

I need a battery.

A conventional 50 lb battery is $125.

Why do that when I can buy an AGM from Jegs for $150 that I can eventually mount beneath the truck when I am done? What's the hot ticket?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/12/21 7:20 p.m.

I also cannot remember which is which

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/12/21 7:27 p.m.

Dashpot on the right (passenger side) I think goes to the port top right (passenger side).

Big bottom right goes to PCV on driver's valve cover.

Long port above left throttle scre to vacuum advance.

...I think.

Slightly different Q-Jet than mine.

1/12/21 7:29 p.m.

Is there not another possibly angled port behind the fuel inlet? That should go to the dashpot.

1/12/21 8:07 p.m.

In which case the port on the top should be ported vacuum, and the bottom one would be manifold vacuum, either of which can go to the vacuum advance can.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/12/21 9:29 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

Is there not another possibly angled port behind the fuel inlet? That should go to the dashpot.

There is a straight one behind the pot. I circled it even though you can't see it in the pic. 

1/12/21 9:40 p.m.

On my Q-jet, the hot-air choke is all back there.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/13/21 5:55 a.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/13/21 7:08 a.m.

Went back to page one of this thread in 2013/

If someone had told you that you were a trend setter and that someday this would become your normal workwear for the office!?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/13/21 7:14 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Went back to page one of this thread in 2013/

If someone had told you that you were a trend setter and that someday this would become your normal workwear for the office!?

Wow, and look at all that hair!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/14/21 2:31 p.m.
tuna55 said:

She wanted to help do something tonight despite nearly zero time, so we put on the fan belt. The bad thing is that I realized that the fan blades are too close to the shroud. I have to either trim them, trim the shroud, or switch to an electric setup.

Glad to see the kids taking such an interest in the build.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/5/21 10:40 a.m.

Help me figure out spark plug wires.

I put on a set for a generic small block with 90° angles at the plugs. It doesn't really work. I also don't love any of the other options, nor any of the looms available.

Ram horn manifolds make this quite hard. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/5/21 10:40 a.m.

3/5/21 10:59 a.m.

On Dad's 60 Corvette with ram horn manifold, we actually went underneath the manifold along the head gasket surface and then up around the back of the head to rout the plug wires. Used zip ties to make separators.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/5/21 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

How do you get the front two wires on each side past the dump?

3/5/21 12:06 p.m.

Behind. Used a bent up coat hanger to make a lopm to jeep them away. Hold one end under a bolt,  but dont remember which one  

1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 ... 146

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kYW0Rwnk2u5wowiJKewxfPEumYTCwZQhdDnFMe6o84INJAOZVFdduRjmFCcCAfp5