1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 146
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/30/22 9:20 a.m.

I like the videos as they do a good job of communicating how challenging a home paint job really is.

For years it felt like we were waiting in line to get on board this paint roller coaster, but this is what it feels like following at this point. Its going to happen!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/30/22 10:53 a.m.
NOHOME said:

I like the videos as they do a good job of communicating how challenging a home paint job really is.

For years it felt like we were waiting in line to get on board this paint roller coaster, but this is what it feels like following at this point. Its going to happen!

For real, deacon duties, Trail Life volunteering, running the house as a father and husband, being a guitar student, participating in birthdays and day trips and vacations, fixing all broken things for me and friends, doing home improvements daily, and other assorted things, keep my quite busy.

That said, I have definitely dragged my feet on paint. It's scary, there are time limits, there are near-permanent ramifications which can't easily be ground off or welded back on.

-That- said, I haven't been wasting time. Nothing I've done is wasted. I haven't binge watched anything, I don't sit on the couch, I haven't done things to the truck which didn't need to be done. I just back loaded the paint job.

Stay tuned.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/31/22 10:50 a.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/6/22 4:12 p.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/7/22 9:19 a.m.

I need to learn to make more compelling videos.

No photographic evidence from last night, though I did have a pleasant time on the hood again. Basically four spots need attention, the underbite of the new hood, the tailgate spot, the cowl panel (which part of me wishes I had welded to the hood) and one cab corner. The rest is pretty good. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/7/22 9:32 a.m.

Excited to see some progress on the paint!  That black paint was hiding....so many sins.  This is going to be good.  

Edit:  I just went back to see when this thread started.  It's been over 9 years of progress, and still going!  This has to be a sort of a record here at GRM.  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/7/22 3:50 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Excited to see some progress on the paint!  That black paint was hiding....so many sins.  This is going to be good.  

Edit:  I just went back to see when this thread started.  It's been over 9 years of progress, and still going!  This has to be a sort of a record here at GRM.  

It's not a good record. It's the opposite of a parking lot build.

The black paint was indeed terrible. It was greasy and slimy and thick and covered inches of bondo.

I may have spent an alarming amount of the workday looking at wheels.

and my current favorite, though I wish they were 18"

Honestly anything from 15-18 can work well, though I prefer the larger sizes. I also will move the wheels to the bodyline instead of tucked in as they are now, though I can do that with spacers or with backspacing.

I also abhor chrome normally. Those Indy mags are the only chrome I'd keep, otherwise cast or perhaps a translucent copper hue which I would throw around on the mirrors and handles and such.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/7/22 9:28 p.m.

Make sure you can get what you want in tires before you commit to a wheel size. I have the Vision Rallys on my C1500, I'm a fan.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/8/22 8:02 a.m.
solfly said:

Make sure you can get what you want in tires before you commit to a wheel size. I have the Vision Rallys on my C1500, I'm a fan.

Good call. I did just that yesterday, and it seems something like this will work for me:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/continental-extremecontact-sport

volvoclearinghouse
9/8/22 8:25 a.m.

My 2 cents, I think anything larger than 17" starts to look Hot Wheels esque on older vehicles.  16-17" is probably the sweet spot.  Note that my opinion is my own and is probably not reflective of everyone, or even anyone else.  I will say, the rubber on those 18's looks comically thin.  I prefer the look of a bit more black separating the wheel from the fender.  Not to mention,  it probably drives and rides better.  

Tire availability might peak at 17".  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/8/22 8:30 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

My 2 cents, I think anything larger than 17" starts to look Hot Wheels esque on older vehicles.  16-17" is probably the sweet spot.  Note that my opinion is my own and is probably not reflective of everyone, or even anyone else.  I will say, the rubber on those 18's looks comically thin.  I prefer the look of a bit more black separating the wheel from the fender.  Not to mention,  it probably drives and rides better.  

Tire availability might peak at 17".  

Thanks for that opinion!

I am not sure really, and it will all depend on how low it ends up being.

Last night I sanded a lot. I am 100% on the front of the hood now, and spent a little time getting the fender cups right. I am 90% of the way happy with the tailgate, and I made a fun tool to sand the underbite of the hood.

I am nearly ready to buy the next batch of epoxy primer.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/8/22 8:57 a.m.

Old trucks drive like, well, Old Trucks. Anything you do to make the final product less comfortable to drive is going to mean that it gets driven less and less. 

In the interest of comfort, I would lean towards whatever wheel-tire combo gives you the most sidewall and still makes you happy aesthetically.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/8/22 9:08 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Old trucks drive like, well, Old Trucks. Anything you do to make the final product less comfortable to drive is going to mean that it gets driven less and less. 

In the interest of comfort, I would lean towards whatever wheel-tire combo gives you the most sidewall and still makes you happy aesthetically.

I get really confused visually Some trucks I see of this era and make look best in the 17/18 range. I think the 15" rally wheels look silly on it now, but they are also tucked in pretty far. The running favorite, the last pic there, is on 15".

I don't expect much comfort indeed, but I sure do want it to make me very excited to finish the thing right now.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/8/22 11:42 a.m.

I am considering something like this for test fitting. It might help me understand if even a 15" could look right if the wheel was in the right place instead of tucked in like a scared kid during a thunderstorm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353204440819

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/8/22 12:53 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I hear you loud and clear. Just posting from experience where performance and cool aesthetics drive the urges more than common sense.

Good example for me was the suspension bushings. I could have kept the stock Miata ones since they were OK, Or bought some $400 new rubber ones, but I went with poly bushes cause more cooler . Most of the time the car rides fine, however I have come to not like the ride over some surfaces due to the bushings and I believe that it limits my long distance use of the car. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/9/22 6:23 a.m.

15" wheels were the defacto standard for light trucks forever. So if you want "periodish", you will want to go with 15" rims. On the other hand, it is getting harder and harder to find any tires under 17", particularly any high performance tread material.  The 17" tire size is the sweet spot right now. 

I like all of your wheel choices except the Indys(Ansen Sprints). They exude 1970s "all show no go". 

volvoclearinghouse
9/9/22 8:19 a.m.

The ones I like the -least- are the first one, the vision SS rally wheels. Partially because they're too big, partially because Mrs. Vch has the "real" ones from that time period, in 15", on her Camaro.  IIRC they were from a Monte Carlo.  Yay GM bolt pattern interchangeability. They look odd, to my eye, in that larger proportion, and the centers look comically big, like a boob job that ended up with too-large areolas. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/9/22 8:25 a.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

15" wheels were the defacto standard for light trucks forever. So if you want "periodish", you will want to go with 15" rims. On the other hand, it is getting harder and harder to find any tires under 17", particularly any high performance tread material.  The 17" tire size is the sweet spot right now. 

I like all of your wheel choices except the Indys(Ansen Sprints). They exude 1970s "all show no go". 

Interesting, they were leading in my mind, and also 15"!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/9/22 8:29 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

The ones I like the -least- are the first one, the vision SS rally wheels. Partially because they're too big, partially because Mrs. Vch has the "real" ones from that time period, in 15", on her Camaro.  IIRC they were from a Monte Carlo.  Yay GM bolt pattern interchangeability. They look odd, to my eye, in that larger proportion, and the centers look comically big, like a boob job that ended up with too-large areolas. 

They are "Corvette Ralleeyeyeeeee" wheels [SIC because nobody can agree how to spell it] as opposed to Truck ralllleeyyyyyy wheels. Most cars are 5x 4.5, and the truck is 5x5, so I can't use normal GM ubiquity.

Here is what they Corvette style looks like on a 17" rim

I don't love these images though, because the tires they are picturing are very low profile. Even the 15" ralleeeeeyyyyy looks decent, but I think it's mostly because of the low profile tire in the picture.

Maybe the lesson here is to use lower profile tires than normal.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/9/22 8:32 a.m.

Here is what a rando truck looks like with 15" truck rally wheels, issues being that they are tucked in and also high profile

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/9/22 8:32 a.m.

Here is a real truck with Corvette style ralley wheels, and to me, they look too small with too high of a sidewall.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/9/22 8:51 a.m.

18" Ralleys on a real truck

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/9/22 8:56 a.m.

And a real truck with 17"

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/9/22 9:17 a.m.

The less expensive and still interesting is the stock car look.

here they are in 17"

Here in real life on a 15"

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
9/9/22 9:32 a.m.

17" seems like the right balance between sidewall, looks, and tire availability.  The 15" look tiny, the 17" don't seem overly large at all. 

1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 146

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NFJOh4kNG4UwLFLxnhW8GHHrkwF4y2NUf44WZVTqfxafhek2LrPxXTJ26kYfteeD