1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 ... 146
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/14/22 9:00 a.m.
tuna55 said:

More sanding for 1/2 hour. The roof is hard.

Just physically hard, or is it difficult to try to maintain the slightly convex roof shape while sanding?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/14/22 10:15 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
tuna55 said:

More sanding for 1/2 hour. The roof is hard.

Just physically hard, or is it difficult to try to maintain the slightly convex roof shape while sanding?

The latter. I put filler down, I sand for an hour, and I get bare metal spots and wavyness, so I try again. And again. I am getting closer, but it's a great rounded area, and let's not forget, a great rounded area which I welded on from another cab donor, and let's not forget, a great rounded area which I welded on from a cab donor after shaving drip rails, recontouring the front corners, and welding the rear cab seam.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/20/22 8:28 a.m.

The roof wasn't as discouraging as I recalled. I started by sanding everything fresh, doing a guide coat, and circling all of the trouble areas with a pencil. I think a lot of them were from debris in the spreader. I sanded my spreaders really well, and made sure the tear-offs were clean this time. Anyway here are the pictures which you clamor for. They are not very exciting, but I suppose that's a benefit.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/20/22 9:44 a.m.

Do your bodywork efforts have to shut down for the cold winter months or are you far enough south that it wont impact your progress?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
10/20/22 10:14 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I just invested in one of these, because I am not, in fact, far enough south that cold weather won't hamper my project progress, and I am, in fact, old enough that a frigid shop will make me cranky.  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/20/22 10:33 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Do your bodywork efforts have to shut down for the cold winter months or are you far enough south that it wont impact your progress?

It means I will have to pick and choose when I can spray, and perhaps keep the paint products inside somehow. My garage is insulated, but not heated. I crack the door when I sand, and that can get chilly, but overall it's not bad. I have to decide today if I want to buy primer in anticipation of the weekend spraying, and if I do, I need to take care not to spray too early or late to avoid the cooler temperatures. Then again we will have nice 70 degree days all through the winter spread around. Today was in the thirties overnight.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/20/22 12:11 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Heat is on in my shop and will stay on until may. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/20/22 12:55 p.m.
SPI said:

Bottom line is if the car metal or primer contents cannot be kept at 65 degrees or higher as well as the shop temperature for the next 24 hours after spraying, DO NOT spray our epoxy as you may end up having to redo all your hard work.

sad

volvoclearinghouse
10/20/22 2:24 p.m.

Depending on how big your garage is, a couple of space heaters may be able to keep the temps above 65 during the evening.  It also depends how much power you have out there.  I just ordered an 8500W, 240VAC shop heater for my work space, which will get a 40 amp dedicated breaker.  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/20/22 2:30 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

I am not willing to take on the fire risk by running a space heater in my garage overnight.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/15/23 9:05 p.m.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/15/23 9:10 p.m.

Duuuuuuuuuudddddeeeee

I freaking love it!!!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/17/23 7:26 a.m.

I'm having a genuine strategy issue

I really need to paint the back sides of the fenders and the insidea of the hood and doors. If I cheat I can probably do the doors just by leaving them open and doing the jambs later, but I don't have any real way to fixture the hood or fenders. I think today (I'm going to steal a few hours before a business trip this morning) I'll just do the outside again to get it all in one color.

Thoughts are welcome though, maybe there's a cheap jig or rolling cart I can get to do this easier.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/17/23 7:36 a.m.

I used a pair of sawhorses and two by sixes to make a long table and laid my hood and fenders and such on them to do the jam out on the back side. Don't overthink it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/17/23 9:33 a.m.

I don't even have saw horses

I guess I'll have to make some

Sadly enough, it's not going to get warm enough today anyway so all of my cheating was in vain.

volvoclearinghouse
4/17/23 11:15 a.m.

I would say your typewriter works fine, however the typist may be a little rusty.  Or, perhaps, spoiled by word processors.

We were at a restaurant a while back and they had a typewriter as part of the decor...my kids spent the entire time we were there banging away at it.  So we found them an old model similar to the one you got to play with at home.  

I like to hang parts that need painting all over.  Could you set up a booth outside to paint that stuff?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/17/23 1:52 p.m.

It takes a stupid amount of room to paint stuff because you have to be able to walk all around each piece and not drag the hose over the rest of the parts. 

If I ever paint another car, I am just going to do it outside.  Maybe find one of them old school clothes drying thingies that spin around and hang parts on it.

Pete

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/18/23 7:48 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

I would say your typewriter works fine, however the typist may be a little rusty.  Or, perhaps, spoiled by word processors.

We were at a restaurant a while back and they had a typewriter as part of the decor...my kids spent the entire time we were there banging away at it.  So we found them an old model similar to the one you got to play with at home.  

I like to hang parts that need painting all over.  Could you set up a booth outside to paint that stuff?

The booth was intended to be just for paint, but you make a good point about hanging things inside of it for primer. I do own it, and have owned it for years, I suppose I could try setting it up!

Regarding the typewriter, it's a 1963 model Royal Safari, and I did find out that I had the ribbon routed incorrectly. Once I routed it properly it displays the characters perfectly top to bottom. The D key is a little sticky. It's really fantastic otherwise, I'm not sure it's ever been used. I have already written letters on it and sent them to people in the mail. Something about that procedure makes me write with language that would be fitting from the time. It's pretty strange. I do enjoy it.

Here I am complaining about the weather being just a touch cold to prime before I leave for the business trip. I'm in Green Bay. It's snowing here.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/5/23 10:38 p.m.

Well I took a whack at a decent combination of temperature and free evening and sanded then sprayed epoxy coat on the cab all assembled. 

At least that's something 

Dusterbd13-michael
5/6/23 7:13 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Pics!!!!!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/6/23 4:56 p.m.

Here I'll do even better than a video just for you Michael.

This is following the second session of primer today

Dusterbd13-michael
5/6/23 5:09 p.m.

You are CLOSE my friend 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/6/23 6:59 p.m.

Its PRIMER. These are the learning coats.  Sand, fill, and re-shoot what needs to be re-shot.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/13/23 7:37 p.m.

Got a tiny bit done today

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/22/23 10:05 a.m.

Life is busy.

The weekend had me slammed busy from dawn to well after dusk each day. Next weekend is a camping trip with Tunakid 3. I may need some motivation to get even less sleep and stay up late prepping the interior and sanding the few spots leftover on the bed and cab.

Motivate me!

1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 ... 146

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AXIdIBz0lUNhtWxgWHmrHJrP2kca7BUtf86GqvI2zARM1VXjWqWsEH6EFXJycN3B