1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 ... 146
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/22/23 10:30 a.m.

You got this! Its amazing the motivational power, and sense of joy that one color brings. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/3/23 9:06 p.m.

She easily doubled my productivity.

Another half an hour on the outside of the body, and it's ready for 2k. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/4/23 8:23 p.m.

Last week I had a day with no kids so I attempted to do a little primer work. My thought was that I could do the tough to reach part of the hood by standing it up on edge, and also do the back side of the fenders by laying them down on the driveway on a drop cloth. Spraying was annoying in that orientation but really not the end of the world. The end of the world happened when I tried to put the fenders away. I didn't have long enough for them to dry completely and so when I touch them I ruin them, when I lean them again something, I ruin them. I don't have a great way to do this. I am strongly considering spraying the insides of the fenders, doors, and hood during one weekend day where I can let them go through all stages, from epoxy primer to 2K primer to body color to clear. If I do that, obviously overspray will be terrible. I can always touch up with one of those two-part rattle can jobs. 

Someone give me some guidance on how to do this properly. On how to do this without just spraying the inside of the engine compartment flat black.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/10/23 1:23 p.m.

I made two stands with conduit and some bending. I hung up the fenders, and saw that it was a bit unstable. While bending one of them in situ to better center the load, the other one fell over.

Back to the drawing board.

Happily, the fender didn't suffer much, but my pride sure did.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
7/17/23 7:37 a.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/21/23 10:45 a.m.

Thanks for the inspiration!!

I got sick of not being able to hang the fenders and doors, and figured out seven different racks I could build, all of which were dubious, time consuming and expensive.

So I paid $100 and have a paint rack om the way here.

Dusterbd13-michael
7/21/23 3:01 p.m.

Im looking forward to seeing the rack you picked. Im struggling with hanging stuff as well. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/19/23 11:15 a.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/19/23 4:29 p.m.

I got this far, and pretty happy indeed with the bed, but then ran out of primer. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/19/23 4:30 p.m.

This is the rack I bought. It's been pretty good. It has two locking casters, it rolls pretty easily, and once I bent a couple of the hangers to suit what I was doing it worked really well today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08RZ9FSWZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/28/23 8:26 a.m.

This Saturday I braved the incredi-heat and finished up the fenders, tailgate, and most of the bed. I still don't love one spot behind the drivers wheel well. I also got a chance to primer the grill and cowl panel. I even managed to make myself pretty happy with the cab roof.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/28/23 9:15 a.m.

How does the rack keep stuff from swinging? 

Progress is looking good!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/28/23 9:32 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

How does the rack keep stuff from swinging? 

Progress is looking good!

Stuff swings!

It doesn't matter a lot now with primer. When it's time for laying down color or clear I'll hang everything with multiple hooks and be a lot more careful.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/28/23 3:54 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

You got this! Its amazing the motivational power, and sense of joy that one color brings. 

I don't know about this. It's a lot of work, and every time I finish up a session, I look over and see a little bit more to bite off before I even look inside the truck and figure out how to do the interior. I am really hopeful that the 2K primer and blocking will be super nice because of all of the work I am doing up front.

It steers. It runs. It shifts. It stops. The lights work. The suspension is all fresh. I just want to drive the stupid thing.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/17/23 8:19 a.m.

I got a few moments to play with it yesterday afternoon. I pushed the truck out into the daylight and started looking around in the interior and under the hood, well, there is no hood, but you know what I mean.

I recall vaguely having repaired the end of the cowl cavity, and I remember leaving a large hole there for future drainage, because of course GM did not. When I got it out into the sunlight I realized that I had only done that repair to the passenger side. It was time to do the driver side. Wow.

When I drilled the hole all of that escaped. I don't know why I missed this years and years ago, but I drilled a couple of drain holes, fixed the rusty spots and called that finished. 

I also pulled off the wiring trough and cleaned up that area, and took a wire wheel to anything left over in the interior that either was sticky or had residue or wasn't adhering well.

Not much of an update, but it's an update.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/17/23 8:22 a.m.

Another bite of the elephant. Another step closer. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/17/23 10:16 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I will take any update that I can on this project. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/23 10:24 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I'd call that two bites! And that's two bites closer to an empty plate.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/17/23 10:46 a.m.

Gentlemen, if you'll please opine regarding the firewall. The general shipped trucks with body color, and that was the plan. I was reading an article in hot rod with a Camaro, and the black firewall made the engine pop more. 

Thoughts are welcome

Dusterbd13-michael
9/17/23 10:50 a.m.

With a Chevy Orange Engine I have always liked the satin black engine bay not a body color firewall. It just looks cleaner than multiple colors conflicting with one another under there

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/17/23 11:40 a.m.

I took a page from "Bitchin' Rides" and painted the engine bay and interior the same colour.  It ties the two together nicely.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/17/23 11:42 a.m.

Not the best shot, but you can kind of see it here:

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/22/23 8:59 p.m.

Satin black it is

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/22/23 9:00 p.m.

That was yesterday. Tonight I finished off the firewall. I got a day off because I was sick, and of course I don't just lay around. Hopefully that means tomorrow I can put primer on the interior.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/23/23 6:06 p.m.

Look what manner of creature joined me today

1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 ... 146

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tLvOOQdShUjM0orU2nKAjwlHlCeIsP6Ve50E57rlJPFQwAtcNk7PPfVIo1FJqFXH