1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 50
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/20 9:26 p.m.

It was a gift from AxeHealey

Patrick
3/29/20 1:26 p.m.

Deconstructing the old enclosed trailer because it's leaky and moldy.  Can use back doors on work trailer and hopefully be able to make the side door and its frame into an escape door for the car trailer.  The frame and floor and axles are good and it tows well and has dual 7k torsion axles so it's going to become my new flatbed utility trailer.  

Patrick
3/31/20 9:12 a.m.

Garden started

going to figure out lumber needs for raised garden beds, shop loft, shelves, a rack for fabrication stock and whatever my dad needs for the greenhouse he's building and make an order for delivery before they shut lumber yards down.  

if there's one thing i'm learning through this lockdown, it's that while we do grow some food and try to preserve and make it last, we're not doing enough.  I do have dehydrated potatoes, tomatoes, and carrots as well as frozen beans and home canned salsas and jams/preserves. 

when we add onto the house I'll be removing our 7 year old 12x16 deck, so i think I'll salvage as much of that as possible to make a real greenhouse with solar heat that will help us start the growing season earlier, extend it, and even try some winter crops.  

Today calls for rain as does tomorrow, but then the forecast is 7 days of beautiful siding weather.  I'm hoping I can knock it out and get my final so I can have no more inspections to get.  Once that's done I can build loft and start moving stuff.  Who knows when the lift will happen, that's in quarantine limbo right now.  

our governor has extended unemployment to self employed 1099 people, so when they get the system updated to handle those claims i can hopefully get something coming in so I won't have to tap into the emergency reserves.  

Patrick
4/1/20 9:23 p.m.

Today we ventured out of our bubble to our own private metropark - my parents' backyard.  We walked for hours, visited the old buick, walked along the old railroad, went out to the edge of the old bridge, saw a nesting goose.

the cylinder heads are literally rusted through but the water pump still spins like it was a running engine 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/20 9:58 p.m.

Any idea what railroad line that was?

Patrick
4/2/20 8:05 a.m.

I have a 1903 county map somewhere in my stash that has the RR line on it, I cannot remember it's name 

edit:  looks like it's part of the Cleveland southwestern interurban electric railway.  Instead of the later automobile route via route 42 directly out of the center of Cleveland, the railroad went west from downtown to near where the airport is now then came straight south to medina and eventually beyond linking up with columbus.  The rear property line at my parents is the railroad line.  Here's a crappy article.  

http://www.usgwarchives.net/oh/medina/history/19.htm

apparently there's a book about it too, the cover has a crude map showing how it kicks west of Cleveland first then comes south through berea down basically route 237 which is now the "berea freeway" along the airport.  

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/2/20 8:30 a.m.

I remember that Buick!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/20 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

That's awesome! In IL the interurban lines either followed the highways or other railroads. It's cool seeing one that had it's own distinct route. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/2/20 1:46 p.m.

Are there enough Buick body panels left to hang around the Locost frame for a challenge entry..?

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/2/20 1:47 p.m.

Thats pretty cool, I always assumed the 'substation' was just for area electric,not for trains.  I think the track by my house may have been part of the system as well.

Patrick
4/2/20 7:40 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Unfortunately doubtful.  There's a car across the river too.  

posted because I didn't take a pic of getting about 60% of the south wall siding done today 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/2/20 7:43 p.m.

Wartburg makes me happy 

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
4/2/20 8:19 p.m.

So P'man the Wrtbrg stays right here and everything else moves to the new 'DIGS'?

Sorry bro but there is way too much buehog bling goin on down there near Rocky River?

The hood alone is worth ambiance/shop art back at the GROSH...on another wall or ceiling joist perhaps.  

Patrick
4/2/20 9:55 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Nope, Wartburg is going back first to be finished.  The tools will move back with it.  The front will get cleaned, a few more shelves built, and then i'll put 4 cars in plus lots of parts.  Datsun, mustang, chevelle, 57 for now probably?  I want to be able to drive stuff without getting it out of a trailer.  

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
4/2/20 10:24 p.m.
Patrick said:

I want to be able to drive stuff without getting it out of a trailer.  

I completely agree with that. It makes it so much more likely I'll do something with it if I don't have to involve a trailer.

Patrick
4/3/20 6:37 p.m.

I quit at 7:15 today 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
4/3/20 7:12 p.m.

I quit at 4.

Don't tell my boss.

Patrick
4/4/20 11:50 a.m.

Attempting to knock out the south wall.  Biggest side as far as siding square footage and soffit length.  

Patrick
4/4/20 6:44 p.m.

South wall done, windows on back framed and in.  Placing a delivery order with home derpot tomorrow for some more stuff plus supplies to build gardens and a small retaining wall at southeast corner because the ground level is higher than the floor level 

Patrick
4/6/20 6:27 p.m.

not bad progress for starting around noon and ending around 5.  Carli's parents quarantined for almost 3 weeks after they returned from florida so i took the kids to see them today.  

changed the lift from pickup in indiana to shipped to the big truck dealership my uncle works at, so need to bust out the trailer this weekend.  i should probably let him know.  It's shipping Monday for anticipated delivery by end of next week.  Who has put up their own 4 post lift and what to i need?  I have a cherrypicker and i can build a gantry to use my chainfall.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/6/20 6:30 p.m.

Cherry picker and floor jack was all we used to assemble the backyard buddy four post 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/20 3:39 p.m.

These fingers were made for killing nazis

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/20 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I had an AMD 386/40 that I found in the trash, that I hotrodded by maxing out the cache memory (it was like 256k!) and something like 2 megs of main memory, and a VESA local bus video card, and that thing smoked my mom's 486 for playing wolf3d.

Memory was flippin' expensive in the early 90s.

Played DOOM pretty good when that came out a while later.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/20 6:51 p.m.

Looks great!  ActuallyI think my neighbors' new siding is the same color; they also went with white on the corners.

Probably apples/oranges, but we helped a friend of mine with a 2 post and also just used an engine hoist.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/20 9:05 p.m.

Today i did this

exit one enclosed cargo trailer with rotten walls, enter one flatbed utility trailer.  

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 50

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TSdQpW9eVDhXQYCyf65yXlkKGUO7b5RZMibv38eG2aKtXU5K9F3hoKSNVVkhwLx4