1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 50

Isn't it amazing how with some labor, one can turn something that takes up some space, to all over the place.  Been there, done that.  That new garage is awesome.  

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/20 10:06 a.m.

In reply to Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) :

I'm awesome at that, especially taking something that takes up roughly the size of a car to something that takes up half the garage and part of the basement.

Going to chop the front wall of the trailer dumpster size and put it in our work dumpster with my old siding, burn the wood, swap the doors over to my work trailer(after I take 6" off the bottom) and I'll just put the mixed metal at the street for a scrapper.  I have some steel to bend up to make fenders, or i may just make some quick ones out of scrap wood for now because it's quicker and gets me legal enough to use the trailer to pick up my lift next week.  

I've had to forego the trip to get my lift in Indy due to the same thing everyone else is going through, so they're shipping it to my uncle's Freighliner dealership.  His bosses are cool and let me send freight to them, they unload it and then load it for me because they have forklifts.  I quit having stuff sent to terminals for pickup when the one who shipped my tire machines didn't have a ramp to drive the forklift out to load non dock height vehicles.  They said had they not failed to tell me this they would have made me come back with a rollback or pay to deliver to my house, but they "did me a favor" by putting them on a truck with a liftgate and then rolling them onto my trailer with a pallet jack.  

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/12/20 10:31 a.m.

Quick and dirty may be the best option to get the lift.  Funny, when someone tells me they're "doing me favor", I always feel a twinge in my posterior.

4/15/20 5:42 a.m.

Wheel horse had a blowout.  I've never liked the spindle mount wheels especially when I learned I could get 2 new 4 lug wheels, tires, and tubes for under $49 shipped mounted.  I had thought to turn the factory wheels into hubs, but the centers aren't flat.  Enter free harbor freight 6" pneumatic wheel/tire combo.  6" wheel is 2 piece with one side having the bearings.  5x100 pattern.  After some testing it was determined the od of the wheel horse and hf bearings is the same.  Hf hub is 1/4" shorter.  Disassemble,   Install wheel horse bearings in HF wheel, drill pattern for 4 lugs(one of the 5 lug holes is in correct location), use a couple 5/8 washers behind inside bearing to take up slack, bolt everything together.

will repeat for other side as time permits.  I had chucked the new hub in the lathe to turn off the rim part but I just don't care and it's stronger that way.  Wheel horse forum has guys using hundreds of dollars of obsolete boat trailer hubs and bearings and shaft collars to come up  with a way to use off the shelf trailer wheels.  

4/18/20 5:53 p.m.

Since I need the trailer this week i better get moving on stuff.  

repurposing the old wood ramps into fenders, they're coming out nice enough that I'll paint the crap out of them so they last a few years.  Deck is 73" between the fenders and 14' long so I could easily toss a small car on it if i felt the need.  Have most of the metal pieces made too.  Then i can run the wires and be done.  Have a gallon of rustoleum flat black to make it look decent.  

4/19/20 6:23 p.m.

minus lights and airing up the tires, quick and dirty is quick and done.  

John Welsh (Forum Supporter)
John Welsh (Forum Supporter) Mod Squad
4/19/20 6:36 p.m.

Hot damn. Looks great. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
4/19/20 8:06 p.m.

Wood fenders!?!?!!!! who knew .....awesome!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/19/20 8:07 p.m.

Rustproof 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/19/20 10:04 p.m.

That looks damn good. 

4/20/20 4:33 p.m.

Mother berkeleyer has lights and 1000% more air in the tires

also it's Colin's birthday 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/20/20 5:11 p.m.

Happy birthday Colin! 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/20/20 5:18 p.m.

A lift for the new garage IS the best birthday present ever! Tell Colin I said so.

4/20/20 5:22 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

colin thanks you 

4/20/20 9:35 p.m.

The eagle has landed.  Or i guess the titan has landed.  

lack of clearance lights on fenders was a little tough in the dark

4/22/20 4:50 p.m.

A short story

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/22/20 5:05 p.m.

Need ramps so that they can jump over it.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
4/22/20 5:25 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

A short story

Hey! where's the last picture when you set it on the floor......wink

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/22/20 5:39 p.m.

My wife will pay you 500 gazillion dollars to have Nick help you assemble the lift.

Yes, shelter-in-place has reached its breaking point.

4/22/20 6:11 p.m.

In reply to XLR99 (Forum Supporter) :

May or may not start tomorrow, depending on if weather lets me get back on siding.  My sister brought food boxes today from the restaurant supplier to help push my need to go to a grocery store out farther.  

4/23/20 5:55 p.m.

Rain today so

Home Depot is delivering hydraulic fluid between 6-10am tomorrow.  For their $8.99 delivery charge it's not worth starting the truck and putting on my mask.  An additional dollar gets your pick of 4 hour time slots.  I'm at fill reservoir and start moving it to bleed the system and make final adjustments 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/23/20 9:28 p.m.

The garage is beautiful!

4/24/20 10:00 a.m.

Home derpot comes through at 7:40am with hydraulic oil.  

all adjustments done.  

weather may let me get some siding done later after it warms up.  Weekend is showing all rain.  Probably start moving the building materials around to one spot instead of everywhere.  

4/25/20 5:59 p.m.

Finally warmed up some so i sided the front.  

load tested the lift

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/25/20 8:01 p.m.

Yeah!!

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 50

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J8lpuFv5XfdQgEp162czruIGjaRABcEkv1pOJO5UzzhIvDBREQ4pCzQbI1kkcgtf