1 2 3 4 ... 50
untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/24/19 4:26 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

AV gas is awesome for small engines with carburetors. We used it all the time at the Honda motorcycle dealership I used to work at. Generators, dirt bikes, ATV's, pressure washers, etc, anything that would/could sit for more than a month or so between uses got AV gas. My manager had it in a generator of his for over 5 years before he tried to start it again and it ran perfect.

Just don't run it in anything with a catalytic converter or an o2 sensor.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/19 9:53 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Hopefully your rubber roof is doing better than mine. The main part of the house is shingle, till it gets to the very back part over the kitchen, mud room, and pantry. Spot over the pantry has peeled up enough to let water in an rot it out. I want to redo the inside of the pantry anyway, so I'll just do it all at once. The mudroom also gets the occasional leak, but I haven't determined the cause of that one yet. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/19 11:52 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

It's shrinking.  I knew the day would come.  I'm planning to have the materials here for when the weather breaks in aprilish

Patrick
11/25/19 8:31 p.m.

Signing contract on a 24x36 addition to the garage with 12' tall walls tomorrow.  They wanted almost 10k more for a 10x32 lean-to down the side and re roofing the existing building so I'm going to do that myself as well as do the siding and doors to save money, which will pay for a couple lifts.  I have two friends who do concrete, so between them we should be fine to do the floor.  

first order of business is drop a pine and a maple that are in the way and borrow the neighbors bobcat to move some dirt and dig some stumps up.  They're anticipating building in January.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/25/19 8:44 p.m.

That's rad and will make a HUGE difference in projects moving forward. I'm happy for you. 

Patrick
11/25/19 9:13 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

That's rad and will make a HUGE difference in projects moving forward. I'm happy for you. 

I was just thinking the other day about how great it would be that every car had its own spot and own shelf so that i could just go to the shelf and do something without having to either dig for it, wait for the rain to stop, move stuff around, or any other number of reasons that make things impossible .  

i'm envisioning a loft above the door, 2 lifts, and i'll have to decide which is the work area.  Initially I was planning for the old part to be the work area, but the more I think about it I should move the tools to the new part and work back there, build 32' of floor to ceiling shelves down the right side wall, and park 4 done cars in it comfortably.  Right now that would be the Datsun, Mustang, Belair, and nothing.  Wartburg or sand rail would be the next one done.  That would leave me 2 spots in the 10x32 area.  I'm planning to set that area up that it can be closed off completely to paint in.  In the back tall area I'm seeing one lift in the back corner to stack the 57 and the Devin, and a nice big work area with a lift to work on to lay out the current main project.  I'm just stifled by lack of space right now.  

this would allow me to comfortably get 9 cars inside. I could get more in the original part, I had them 3 wide when we moved in by putting one on dollies and pushing it against the right wall and then parking 2 in the big door.  I had 4 cars in there with room to work, but have way more tools and parts now.  

I'm really itching to be able to get tinkering with the 57 here and there and that's just impossible with it under a makeshift tarp thing outside.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/26/19 8:24 a.m.

I've been "designing" garage spaces lately.  Looks like you're planning on 12 foot wide space for each car.  Is that enough working space or are you limited by the exsisting garage?

Patrick
11/26/19 6:06 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I'm not planning to tear apart multiple cars at the same time if that's what you're thinking.  I'm going to have to get everything up and then play imaginary car tetris to see what layout works best.  I want to move the big E36 M3 once.  I'm envisioning a fabrication corner with the welders, lathe, benders, brake, bandsaw.  A loft for long term project parts like the stuff for the Devin.  I'm seeing cars in the new back area perpendicular to how the cars are in the existing garage.  

we finalized stuff today and signed the contract and gave a deposit.  I'm having them do the 24x36 part with metal roof, 16' door opening, and concrete.  I traded their door cost towards about 40% of the concrete price.  After that's up I can build the 10x32 room down the side of the current building, hang my doors and vinyl side everything and put the metal roof on the old part to match.  The 10x32 initially will be my storage room for all the materials for the house repairs.  I'm slowly able to see stuff in my head.  

It's going to be a very busy year, i'm glad my 2020 challenge car runs already.  

Patrick
11/27/19 7:39 a.m.

Quick to scale rendering i did for carli to visialize the view from the front.  We're going from 832 square feet to 2,016.  

today is chiropractor day then hopefully be able to put up some neat pictures here then drive to Michigan for (overcooked hard)turkey day at in-laws gathering 

will have a 16' door on the left side of the tall 24' area not really to drive in and out of but mostly for ventilation and yard tools.  The little guy is going to be the main drive through to the back route.  This is why i came around to it making sense to keep the completed driving cars in the original section.  Unless something is easy to get to i'm not going to bother, so I want those cars as easy as having to move one at worst to get something out and drive.  Whichever car is getting the bulk of the track work is going to live in the trailer, and I have zero plans to add more cars at this point until everything is done. You know how that goes, but i have my next several challenge cars here and it's time to start getting my dream stuff done for me.  While the challenge has been the bulk of my racing experience since the kids came along, I'm getting back into stuff and have plans to get my nhra comp license as well as see if I enjoy road courses.  I've already figured out autocross isn't my thing.  

Patrick
11/27/19 10:41 a.m.

Working on the lock mechanism for this today 

Patrick
11/27/19 11:28 a.m.

Secret lock down low for key drops onto a steel plate on the floor and rod up top into framing (that i have to make because that is my sds chisel)

Patrick
11/27/19 5:50 p.m.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/27/19 6:30 p.m.

Whoa....Wait What is this tool bench looking curiously like anudder Nader?!?!?!?!???? 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/27/19 7:11 p.m.

Love the new shop plans. Dig the trap door.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/27/19 8:04 p.m.
Patrick said:

Either the other Patrick has highjacked your account or you stopped by to get some hand modeling tips from Angry. Maybe both?

Patrick
11/27/19 8:33 p.m.

We're staying 30 minutes from his house tonight so we popped in to say hi

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/19 10:39 p.m.
Patrick said:

We're staying 30 minutes from his house tonight so we popped in to say hi

Did you say hi to the neighbor lady while you were in the neighborhood?

Patrick
11/28/19 6:41 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

no sign of babushka.  It was after 6pm so she was presumably asleep, as opposed to myself who has been up all night because hotel beds are not my bed and i get to drive back to Ohio tonight around 7.  Going to kroger to get some coffee for later and some baked whatever to take to "dinner".  

I was going to go to Rudy's strudel shop in parma yesterday but i figured real old world flavors and textures would be lost on Carli's white bread and mayonnaise rural Michigan been here for centuries family members.  I've converted her to one who appreciates good foods and has a diverse palate, but i'm not up for trying to change the whole meat and potatoes crowd.  I'm ok with the fact that they would not know a falafel if it was sitting in front of them or that the immigrants always have the best food, because they're sheltered in small town Michigan in their venison bubble.

Maybe i'm salty because I've been up for 24 hours, or maybe i'm salty because the turkey is always dry, or maybe I'm an shiny happy person.  All I know is that I'm anticipating this being our last thanksgiving up here(the plan always has been to do this until her grandparents were gone, and they're gone) and I'm looking forward to hopefully making our own traditions now instead of clinging to someone else's.  I'm ready to (properly) cook for whoever wants to come eat be they family, friend, acquaintance, twitter follower, grm people, or maybe just hungry.  

Bring on the people i see once a year, their E36 M3ty football team, their snide comments about my not as E36 M3ty as theirs football team, their loud children, and their creepy uncle who used to have borderline underage topless pictures of two of his nieces framed on the wall in their cabin.   Living.  The.  berkeleying.  Dream.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/28/19 6:50 a.m.
Patrick said:

Yep looks like its on track for 2023.

Patrick
11/28/19 8:20 a.m.

Big poooool

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/19 8:26 a.m.
Patrick said:

That right there is sweet!

Patrick
11/28/19 9:48 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Thanks!  That's at the inlaws house so FIL can covertly lock up the lawyers, guns, and money while they're out of town

Patrick
11/28/19 9:54 a.m.

Rare action shot of myself and Colin

Patrick
12/1/19 6:39 p.m.

Tree time 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/1/19 7:06 p.m.

What's on the tv??? Looks fun!