1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 50
Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/21 9:53 p.m.

Grizzly and rallykart loaded for a construction break

6/27/21 2:25 p.m.

we made an arrangement today with Carli's uncle on a cabin in the woods where national forest is literally 50 feet out the front door.  I am happy.  

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
6/27/21 3:26 p.m.

Upstairs bunks for the kiddo's? Very nice....

6/29/21 2:08 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yep, nice loft space.  Going to come up this fall and clean it up and bring some furniture and beds.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/29/21 2:38 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

we made an arrangement today with Carli's uncle on a cabin in the woods where national forest is literally 50 feet out the front door.  I am happy.  

that place looks amazing. 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/29/21 3:44 p.m.

Is this cabin arrangement to rent/borrow or to own? It looks incredible. What neck of the woods is it in? 

6/29/21 7:20 p.m.

It's ours to use as long as we want, they keep paying for taxes, electric, and upkeep/maintenance and their plan is to will us enough to buy it and then some from the estate should we still want it at that time.  I understand they're trying to be fair, so we kinda get the best of both.  No costs to us now, and if we get too old or don't come up anymore after the kids are grown we don't own a property we don't use.  But we get to make the cabin ours with our stuff, and there is a garage for the sand rail.  40 acres with trails, a lake, and the only neighbors are the pine trees in the National Forest.  It's just going to cost me some labor to do a metal roof, seal the logs, and doing permanent wiring because everything now is temporary.  

located in the manistee national forest about 25 miles inland from ludington michigan

now to get my hands on the 66 chevy c20 camper special that the great aunt bought new.  

7/9/21 6:35 a.m.

Trailer fixing time:

whatever we hit was enough to break belts in both tires and the shackle, glad we made it home.  Changed the spring hardware and tires yesterday, going to do the other side this weekend so everything is new

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/21 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Ludington is one of our favorite places. If you ever get to the point of renting it out, I'd like to get on the list of potential renters.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/10/21 5:18 p.m.
7/10/21 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

John is the guy who sent me hundreds of pics through his resto.  I think i'll see if the GRM crew can hook me up with the lane museum and john's permission to go get up close shots and measurements.

the rallykart and the grizzly came home broken.  Kart clutch and chain, grizzly wasn't charging.  One $28 chain and clutch kit and a $22 rectifier later they're back in business.

Trailer done, and we have 2 functional racecars again

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/10/21 7:09 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Sweet, I had wondered if that was the car/owner. Still figured it was worth posting just in case.

7/11/21 7:51 a.m.

Talked to John.  He sold it to the lane museum, so I reached out to david wallens to see if he or grm can get me a contact so i can hopefully see the car up close and make detailed accurate drawings of what is mangled on the front of mine so i can rebuild it properly and not just guess.  John sent me a handful of measurements but it's not as good as being able to put my own eyes and camera and tape to everything I need versus describing what i could use over email and 3000 miles 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/11/21 3:51 p.m.

I can't wait to see that project take off. Please please do a good documentation of it when you get to working on it.  That thing is awesome.

7/17/21 12:31 p.m.

large life update:  i cleaned the driveway much on Wednesday and Thursday so much so that I was willing to see if the driveway work we did was sufficient (added culvert pipe, filled ditch next to driveway, widened apron) to get the racecar trailer in, and we have success!  Now when i wash dishes i can look at my trailer.  It's going to be life changing having the trailer at home and not having to go across the street for anything anymore including dragging broken cars across a 45mph hilly country road.  Plus i can get close enough to the shop to weld the broken door hinge

8/7/21 6:46 a.m.

Progress is steady.  Abby has moved in to her new room.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/7/21 7:48 a.m.

This makes my morning way better.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
8/7/21 7:56 a.m.

Are those the so many oaks you mentioned earlier? Great job the smile says it all.

8/7/21 8:58 a.m.

Yeah i nailed down the 550ish square feet of oak over 3 days and then took a day and a half to do the doors and trim and have been painting for a few days.  We nailed the level dead on and it flows right into the existing house original flooring with no transition piece.

upstairs got coretec click together lvp because quick and we had just enough left from a pallet for a job a few years back.  

this morning i had a vision for the steps and plan to make them this weekend.  Have a customer job monday and tuesday and my siding is coming Wednesday.   

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/21 10:27 a.m.

Man I wish you lived closer, I'd totally hire you for a whole bunch of work here at casa del anger 

8/9/21 8:39 p.m.

family room and upstairs painted, bathroom and laundry room cut in ready to roll.  Picked up some nice straight lumber to make steps to get upstairs.  

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
8/9/21 8:47 p.m.

Have you returned to the world around you to do what you do best......errr left the front yard for paying customers???

8/10/21 7:46 a.m.

I am only doing small jobs that are easy on my body with high margins, no more breaking my back.  Being extremely picky about where i go and who i see because of the new variant being harder on kids and mine being too young for vaccine/Colin has asthma so him *probably* being ok if he gets covid isn't good enough odds for me.  My primary job is to keep my kids safe.  

Pre pandemic i was very much "my price is my price, if you don't like it i'm not the carpenter for you" and now it's that, but my rates are higher and I'm telling you the limited things I'm willing to do.  And guess what, nobody says no, and they don't complain when they hand me a stack of money or check after half a day of work.  

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
8/10/21 10:41 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Pre pandemic i was very much "my price is my price, if you don't like it i'm not the carpenter for you" and now it's that, but my rates are higher and I'm telling you the limited things I'm willing to do.  And guess what, nobody says no, and they don't complain when they hand me a stack of money or check after half a day of work.  

Good move, there are very few skilled/trustworthy carpenters to choose from these days. The two that I want to do work at my house are 10 months out minimum and tell me things like, I don't do floors have the flooring guy do that. I don't even bother asking for a quote because I'd rather have someone I trust to do the job right than a Lowes/Depot subcontractor. 

8/10/21 2:39 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

Just got home, did vinyl siding repairs on a golf course.  I worked 10-3 today.  18 holes(hahah) in siding and soffit.  Sub $150 in materials, just under $2k total, customer told me i do great work and is happy as can be that his house doesn't look like swiss cheese.  2 weeks ago i worked for 4 hours on a deck with 2 friends, they each made $100 for half an easy day and i made more that week than i used to working 5 days pre pandemic.  Each job required a day before shopping trip.  I can get used to working 7-8 hours a week and making more than I did before.  I'm sure as hell not going back to the old normal, berkeley that.  

I had a woman who, after not paying a bare minimum invoice for a month($229 for 2+ hours of electrical diagnosis and materials plus an hour drive time for problems holding up closing on the house she was selling) look me in the eye and say "what the berkeley, i could have have any 'skilled tradesmen' go do it for half" and mailed me a check for $120.  berkeley.  Those.  Kind.  Of.  People.  Unfortunately on the 21st she's becoming my buddy's MIL.  

1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 50

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HYyeCbk2GTdra8Vvoda8mSuek172IC0RfJjTRYSpmaqWF9bzcZwL9lEBLpAEtXpq