1 2 3 4 5 6

You've got so much space between the engine and the radiator that you could put in a hot tub.

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/13/20 8:06 a.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

You've got so much space between the engine and the radiator that you could put in a hot tub.

Or a second Duratec...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/whats-the-pick-of-the-litter-on-straight-8-engines/175548/page1/

In reply to volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) :

Better!

Unless you like a good soak after a rally-cross.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/13/20 10:34 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Are you planning to put a bump in the firewall to set it back that far, or is it going to sit slightly further forward in the engine bay?  Looks like you have plenty of room!

Definitely a bit forward, and probably both firewall and crossmember edits. The best part was that there were no real surprises. The engine needs to tilt back some as well.

• Crossmember needs surgery as expected, but looks straightforward. Shooting for 1-2" additional clearance.

• I'll block the egr, but this coolant passage can't go away. I need to find/figure out/fab a lower profile housing to attach coolant lines here, and it'll likely need some firewall clearancing.

• Brake booster could maybe stay with custom intake manifold, but I'd rather just go booster less.

• Steering linkage looks ok. I think the ps pump wants to go low on the ds side where looks like plenty if space. I can't recall if/which duratec setups have it there.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
8/13/20 11:03 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:

Just wanted to check in and subscribe.  I just got my Volvo 122 back to rallycross this year, nowhere near as intense a build as this but after having been ridden hard and put away wet and let to set for 6 years, I can sympathize with a lot of this.

Also, I've been thinking about a duratec swap on a Volvo 122 for years now.  So this is relevant to my interests. 

Nice work, hope to see you out on dirt again sometime.  I ran the Susquehanna region SCCA rallycross up in Harrisburg beginning of August- it was only about an hour from my house.  Would like to get out to Summit or Panthera later this year. 

This thing in a 122 would scoot very nice! You coming to the dcrx at summit weekend after this one?

bluej (Forum Supporter)
8/13/20 11:05 a.m.

Indeed!

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
8/13/20 12:23 p.m.

Subbed, even though replacing a German I6 with a Ameripanese 4 banger in this beast makes me weep a little (a lot) inside... 

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

I need to figure out similar coolant hose solutions on the back of my EcoBoost.  At this point I don't have any heater hardware to hook up, but I might one day.  In the meantime it needs to be blocked off or rerouted.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
8/13/20 3:55 p.m.
golfduke said:

Subbed, even though replacing a German I6 with a Ameripanese 4 banger in this beast makes me weep a little (a lot) inside... 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
8/14/20 6:02 a.m.

I need to figure out similar coolant hose solutions on the back of my EcoBoost.  At this point I don't have any heater hardware to hook up, but I might one day.  In the meantime it needs to be blocked off or rerouted.

I had been trying to think through how simply I could make a little housing, something like this:

I knew the ranger unit was metal, and after going back to look up the part, I don't think I could replicate something with much less rear protrusion. Rock auto has them for $40, so it's on the way. I'll likely cut it shorter and modify to accept a hose connection. The '01-06(?) Version has a threaded port in that cast boss, while the later units don't. Prices were the same, so just a preference if you think you'll need/want it. I went without it, thinking I could add a tee slightly downstream.

Edit: the lkq facility I picked the engine up from had a large area with random engine cores strewn over the ground. There were enough Ecoboost 4cyls around it caught my attention. At first I was excited what that might mean for prices with that much stock, but then I started to wonder about why so many were cores... 

I hope the Ecoboost longevity is decent.  I know the first year had a bunch of problems, but then my research said they got better after that.

They are a cheap engine around here.  The Escape is super common around here, and there are loads of them in the yards.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
8/14/20 8:52 a.m.

I hope the Ecoboost longevity is decent.  I know the first year had a bunch of problems, but then my research said they got better after that.

They are a cheap engine around here.  The Escape is super common around here, and there are loads of them in the yards.

We've got a '15 MKC with the 2.0. When were these new again?

I stopped by Betsy while walking the dog this morning to try and get some pics of the rear coolant housing. It's smaller than you'd expect based on the pics of the part alone. Kinda tough to get a pic of where it mates with the head:

2013 were the first ones.

Looks like you could probably get away with the stock part and not need to push the engine very far forward.  I'll bet it'll be no big deal.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
8/14/20 9:33 a.m.

I agree, and likely avoid any firewall work.

Something was nagging at me, and I realized it was that once the whole thing shifts forward, I WILL end up with an oil filter to steering joint clash. Luckily, there are lots of remote mount options for these between duratec and ecoboost.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/15/20 7:33 a.m.

Might as well stick some sort of oil cooler on it when you remote mount the filter, turbos make for hot oil.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
8/15/20 7:53 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Might as well stick some sort of oil cooler on it when you remote mount the filter, turbos make for hot oil.

Definitely getting a cooler, but I'm trying really hard to resist the temptation of adding a snail. Weight reduction first.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
8/18/20 11:17 p.m.

Getting close...

The front crossmember is bolted in place with a first pass rough cut:

There was other body massaging as well.

More clearancing required at the crossmember, and the shifter location, bit I feel ok about them. I have a plan for how the front crossmember will get put back together and stitched up, which I'll share. There's currently about a 0.8 degree difference between the diff angle and trans currently (trans needs angled down more), but I think that can be adjusted for with the clearancing. Really, I'm happy for a first pass cut.

^^^ Forgot to take a pic of it in place, but the shifter turret pokes up and snugs right up against where the rear metal folds up. 

Minor hood wart/scoop required so far.

If the pictures are too big, please let me know. That's just straight from my phone, so it's easiest, but I don't mind adjusting.

95maxrider
95maxrider Reader
8/19/20 8:11 a.m.

Nice progress man, this is so cool.  And the pictures look good to me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/8/20 9:02 a.m.

I'm bumping this to tell you that the new owner of the rally XR4Ti has already picked up a Duratec to potentially swap into it.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/8/20 9:06 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I'm bumping this to tell you that the new owner of the rally XR4Ti has already picked up a Duratec to potentially swap into it.

I just messaged Josh last night to tell him that he is slacking on his updates :D

bluej (Forum Supporter)
9/8/20 12:29 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

sweet! does he have a thread here?

I've been making progress, just not so much with the build thread :p  It's usually a decision to sit and update the thread, or go out to the garage to get a bit more done, and i've ben trying to do the latter.

I have been taking pictures to share, but the target engine location is set, I modified the PCV housing so the NC1 miata intake will fit, the brake booster is pulled so I can modify the attachment at the pedal and move it outboard some, I've got a plan for how I want to reinforce the now chopped subframe, and I've got my mig setup with gas (and the right plug!) and just started in on some test welds.

It's been a few years since doing much welding, so I'm practicing with the chopped out section of crossmember, and the angle I plan to use. Input on my welding is welcome!

bluej (Forum Supporter)
9/8/20 12:42 p.m.

dang, that second pic is E36 M3e. I'm still testing the technique, but the heat penetration seems there.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/8/20 3:04 p.m.

MIG with what gas? CO2? Argon? 

Looking good, as far as mig welds go. 

95maxrider
95maxrider Reader
9/8/20 3:22 p.m.

I don't even have a welder yet, but I've been reading a few books and judging by the spatter it looks like your wire speed might be a little high, or the voltage is too low.  Or it could be perfect and I'm an idiot blush

bluej (Forum Supporter)
9/8/20 3:31 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

MIG with what gas? CO2? Argon? 

Looking good, as far as mig welds go. 

C25, .030 wire, 1/8" thick steel. I have .023 on hand, too. It's an eastwood 175 unit.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iDSyk8LfGNR07NZkZxnIaGlHYPC0BQwHPZuFtsNLnK3Egh6HvmySD1rRbeRAJULo