1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/13/22 12:49 p.m.

Oil tank needs to be in a protected place in the rear of the car. You say there is no provision in your car. Make your own provision. It must be completely sealed from the driver. It should be tall and cylindrical. We ran 3 gallons on formula 5000 and Can Am cars when I worked on them. Photo is of a new tank we commissioned when one on the rear of the F5000 car got crushed in a crash. Very$$$. There are many used ones around for much less, including some that open for easy cleaning. Ooops, no photo, won't imbed. I'll try again later. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/13/22 12:51 p.m.

Cone at bottom.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/13/22 12:51 p.m.

My car had a box. 

Ive seen quite a few that had the tank in the trunk as well.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/17/22 7:40 a.m.

A little teaser pic to revive this thread. Stay tuned...

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
8/17/22 1:10 p.m.

OK......that's a BIG box o something

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/17/22 2:56 p.m.

Ok, so it's been a very busy, but rewarding past few months. After I got the car running, I decided to take a quick break to spend some extra time with family and friends, as well as focus on a few of my other interests. it really has been a wonderful summer. I built myself a Telecaster from an Amazon kit:

I added Seymour Duncan vintage pickups and it sounds great, I play it more than anything else now :) I went to a ton of local car shows, a family reunion, hosted several get-togethers with old friends, and my dad and I have been attending every HSCC autocross we could get to. I upgraded the lighting situation in my garage, bought a car trailer with my parents, and moved my girlfriend into her new apartment for her graduate program. All good stuff.

While all of this has been going on, I've been planning for phase two of the stock car build. I knew the next steps were to get new wheels and tires and get a new oil tank for the dry sump system. I was casually browsing for parts for a while before Crxpilot posted this auction in the Parts for Sale forum. Well hot dang, that's just about everything I could want right there, and at my old workplace no less! So I got to bidding and by the end had won myself a nice little stash of necessary parts. yesterday I went to pick up the loot:

Fuel cell with foam and bladder - $375

Oil tank - $120

Wheels and tires - $60 apiece

And lastly, the big item in the truck was a nice set of 3 wooden filing cabinets that I snagged for $1.25 each. Two are now serving as my nightstands, and I gave the third to my roommate.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/17/22 3:05 p.m.

While at the auction I got to see all the cars that everyone else had won. They looked very nice in person.

I also got to catch up with a good friend who is on the RFK pit crew and take a good look at the new Cup Series car. Man, it is nothing like the one I have in the garage, just a totally different machine.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/17/22 3:10 p.m.

Overall, I spent a little less than 1 Steve in parts, once buyers premiums and tax were added. I'm pretty satisfied, and now I think I have most of what I need to get the car set up for running correctly and reliably. next is getting the oil tank mounted and dressed and making sure the pump still works. If anyone has any helpful tips for any of this stuff I'd be happy to hear them before I get too far into the weeds!

Dusterbd13-michael
8/17/22 3:38 p.m.

If you are interested in getting rid of your old fuel cell and bladder let me know as I would be interested in it for my Winston Cup Car project.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/17/22 5:10 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I'll probably wait to install the new one until the car is about ready to run, but if you still need it at that point then it's all yours

Dusterbd13-michael
8/17/22 5:30 p.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

Awesome

Thanks!

Anything you need me to keep my eyes open for while I'm hitting all the used race car parts places?

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
8/17/22 8:24 p.m.

Great haul! The wheel bolt circle matches the ones on your car? Or is that a standard thing in NASCAR?

I see the new tank has handles, is it the same size as your old tank, or hopefully slightly smaller?

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
8/17/22 9:23 p.m.

NASCAR is probably all 5x4 3/4 or 5x5. Except for ones on Wide 5s like Late Models.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/18/22 8:23 a.m.

In reply to MiniDave:

The wheels are all the same as the ones I already have on the car, they should fit just fine. I haven't gotten a chance to measure them just yet, but the two fuel cells are similar in length and width, and the new one is definitely shallower, for which I am very grateful. Hopefully it all fits without any issue.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/18/22 8:43 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

If you happen to come across a fuel cell fill plate that has provisions for an electric fuel pump (or an electric fuel pump, for that matter), let me know. I'd like to move away from the mechanical pump setup eventually.

I'll pm you if I think of anything else. Thanks!

ctk339
ctk339 Reader
8/18/22 11:31 p.m.

You can modify the plate to accept wires through and as well as a bill head pressure fitting

Heres my old one 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/19/22 7:57 a.m.

You guys make all this stuff look so easy lol

Dusterbd13-michael
8/19/22 7:59 a.m.

Its actually simpler than you think. 

Look for wiring bulkhead fittings. Its essentially a stud and two rubber washers to sandwich the aluminum and prevent a short or spark. Then, attach fuel pup to pickup in the tank. 

You staying carb, or going efi eventually?

ctk339
ctk339 Reader
8/19/22 12:04 p.m.

yeah not too complicated. few bulk head fittings. securing the pump inside the tank is a little more difficult 

for cleaning up the chassis a wire wheel, sandpaper for the loose stuff then brush on rustoleum works really well. Stops Rust® Hammered Product Page (rustoleum.com)

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/19/22 2:50 p.m.

In reply to ctk339 :

Thanks, cleaning up the chassis is definitely on the to-do list. I'll take a look at the rustoleum when I get the chance, brush on is definitely the way to go.

edit: I just went back and looked at your build thread again. Man, that looks absolutely amazing! How long did it take you to do the whole car like that? I've actually been following your thread for a long time, I remember coming across it pretty early on while I was still in college and dreaming up a Nascarlo-type build.

ctk339
ctk339 Reader
8/21/22 10:41 a.m.

Not sure, a couple years, I started it in college I think and now I'm quite a few years into my career. I've been working on it in bits and pieces and it's been pretty much done for two years or so now. But I just redid the entire fuel system and hopefully will get it tuned soon. It had issues with fuel pressure last time I took it out 

edit: wow started in 2013, life gets in the way I suppose lol

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/22/22 8:14 a.m.

Awesome, it's a great thread. The hammered finish paint looks really nice in the interior. Did you paint it with the body on?

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/25/22 2:48 p.m.

Well, I have Covid again for the second (confirmed) time. It's a very, very mild case though, and I'll be honest it's nice taking a medically-excused break at home for a couple of days after the insane busyness that my life has been lately. I haven't done much with the car, but I did measure the new fuel cell and verify that it will fit in the place of the current one. I also made a plexiglass cover for the access hole in order to keep spiders out, since they have seemingly found their way into every other tiny space in my garage.

I made it out of old Ikea picture frame "glass".

One interesting observation, this fuel cell seems to be non-serviceable. The one in the car right now has a side panel that can be unbolted so that you can change the bladder out. This one is welded together.

egoman
egoman Reader
8/25/22 5:35 p.m.
AMiataCalledSteve said:

Well, I have Covid again for the second (confirmed) time. It's a very, very mild case though, and I'll be honest it's nice taking a medically-excused break at home for a couple of days after the insane busyness that my life has been lately. I haven't done much with the car, but I did measure the new fuel cell and verify that it will fit in the place of the current one. I also made a plexiglass cover for the access hole in order to keep spiders out, since they have seemingly found their way into every other tiny space in my garage.

I made it out of old Ikea picture frame "glass".

One interesting observation, this fuel cell seems to be non-serviceable. The one in the car right now has a side panel that can be unbolted so that you can change the bladder out. This one is welded together.

Warm the bladder and it fits right through that top opening.

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/22 6:06 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Its actually simpler than you think. 

Look for wiring bulkhead fittings. ....

AKA Cable Glands

Readily available on Amazon in Stainless

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners