turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/23/14 5:29 p.m.

Just in case you need some parts:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/4816581048.html

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
12/23/14 11:43 p.m.

Oh man, so far away... I found a guy on Pelican Parts that dismantles 944s, that's where I got my box o' parts from the other day. $10 sure is a good deal though...

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
12/24/14 6:49 p.m.

porsche parts haven . in ca. dude dismantles as a company. All porsches.

the issue you'll have is that the pre 1984.5 cars were never collectible. (1985 had, new cams, new suspension, new control arms, new interior etc.) So most have gone the way of the dodo already.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
12/29/14 4:29 p.m.
bluescooby wrote: Oh man, so far away... I found a guy on Pelican Parts that dismantles 944s, that's where I got my box o' parts from the other day. $10 sure is a good deal though...

Laura's by chance? Good guy.. BTW, I have a 84 944 parts car if you need anything small, let me know

BBC

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
12/29/14 4:55 p.m.

Now you have me scanning CL for a 944.

What could go wrong?

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
12/30/14 3:02 a.m.

In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps:

I think his name is Mark, he runs a site called www.plyhammersparts.com. And I might actually need to hit you up for some little stuff...

In reply to bentwrench:

Oh the possibilities are limitless!

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
12/30/14 3:13 a.m.

Well now that Christmas has come and gone I can start ordering some parts, alongside paying down some of this crippling holiday debt...

I should be able to grab everything I need to do the belts as well as a set of motor mounts. Then I can look into this no-start/low-idle issue (vacuum leak or frayed O2 sensor?)

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
12/30/14 10:24 a.m.
bluescooby wrote: In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps: I think his name is Mark, he runs a site called www.plyhammersparts.com. And I might actually need to hit you up for some little stuff... In reply to bentwrench: Oh the possibilities are limitless!

Yeah he is a great guy too. He is a shop teacher I think, and parts out cars on the side. stand up guy

BBC

Imjosh
Imjosh New Reader
5/18/16 2:33 p.m.

Just to update this one a bit, I'm now the guy who bought a Porsche the wrong way. Bluescooby was kind enough to pass it along with all of the misc parts he had collected for it.

The Current to do list is;

1. Replace the Timing and Balance belts (Also rollers and front seals while I'm in there)
  2. Waterpump and Thermostat
  3. Motormounts
  4. Fix some suspect wiring mods that were made along the way.
  5. Replace autozone cone filter with Factory set-up
  6. Powersteering (rebuild or delete?)
  7. Make it pretty/ fix things that are annoying
  8. Drive it like a $1500 Porsche

Not much has Changed from the originals Pics other than venue but I know I like Pics so pics there shall be.

Underhood wirenuts my favorite

More Pics here http://imgur.com/a/Yk3eX

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/18/16 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Imjosh:

Under hood wire nuts are almost as good as the residential (120v) light switch I once saw in an Edsel. It operated the horn.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/16 5:17 p.m.

Whatever air filter solution you use, make sure it has a constant source of cold air and it will help.

Most "racers" throw cone filters on and then some even back that change up with chassis dyno results with the hood open and then don't understand why their cars performance seems to be inconsistent.

I wouldn't delete the power steering, its an absolute PITA to drive and you can actually break the rack and/or the steering shaft under heavy loads.

I would either convert fully to manual steering with the thicker steering joints and shafts or repair the rack and pump (both are easily rebuilt if they aren't too badly damaged).

Just make sure to use replace the reservoir as the built-in filters get plugged up and they are only about $15. Also, use ATF and not Power Steering in the system and it will work just fine. Using Power Steering fluid causes them to leak.

Good luck!

Imjosh
Imjosh New Reader
5/18/16 8:08 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce):

I will be going back to a factory airbox.

I read on rennlist plenty of folks that seem to be having good luck with the depowered racks where they actually go in and remove some of the pistons from the power rack. Doing that seems to reduce the steering effort. I'm currently in the someone used the wrong fluid boat. I like the idea of one less thing to leak alot too.

Edit: some info on the Depowered Rack

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/18/16 8:22 p.m.
Wally wrote:
XLR99 wrote: If you have hurtful criticisms, I'll let you talk to my wife and you can berate my questionable decision-making abilities together. As a master of poor decision-making (just ask my wife), I'm betting you're fairly safe here in the company of the elite GRM Enabling/Encouragement Brigade. FWIW, I fully understand that feeling of "Oh, what have I done" when looking at the newly purchased hulk in the driveway.
Just remind she is a result of your questionable decision making. The gals love to hear that.

Nice! The 'ol "you were my first mistake" turn-about. Always constructive in any argument.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/16 9:55 p.m.

It's still a lot of load from the tires on the steering system and there have been racers who've had issues due to that.

Seriously, once I replaced the seals on my rack and pump, my power steering didn't leak a bit.

My 924 has manual steering and it sucks at low speed and it only weighs a little over a ton thanks to all of the fiberglass on it.

Imjosh
Imjosh New Reader
5/19/16 7:10 a.m.

I do have the rebuild kit and a new (used) pump in my box of goodies so that probably makes the most sense.

Thanks for the advice

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/16 1:25 p.m.

Didn't BoxheadTim already do this thread with a 911?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0uV6fsndQIWe5ZTym4Liwd2Gp49fZzD2yYU28nwQlz6TYm96C2bbiGofX7OKiulB