1 ... 3 4 5 6
2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
7/29/19 1:21 p.m.

OOOH! Very Nize! On the positive front, everything's still moving along. Hopefully you're financially positioned to simply absorb this hiccup with a sigh and move on the all those visions of what you're doing to do with all that garage space.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/29/19 1:37 p.m.

That's a very handsome house, congratulations.

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
8/31/19 8:29 p.m.

Hi! Hopefully you're settled in the new place and back on the, um, Corston, or is it the Astvette? Please let it be the former!cheeky

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/19 8:36 p.m.

What a beautiful home. Congratulations!!

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
11/14/19 1:07 p.m.

Sorry for the lack of updates.  We moved into the new house.  I had to quickly gut and renovate the apartment above my new garage to make it livable and move a family member into it.  We completely renovated the first floor of the new house and I replaced almost all of the plumbing and electrical in the basement and first floor of the house. 

Unfortunately, the car project was pushed into the back of the garage and is patiently waiting for me to free up some time to work on it.  The garage needs to be rewired and lights hung so I can work in there throughout the winter months.  Luckily enough it is a heated garage.  For now here is the car sitting in the mess of clutter that I didnt have time to find a place for when we moved.  Ill be getting back to the car by December I hope.

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
12/2/19 8:41 a.m.

ok and we are back at it.  I finally have so space cleared out in the new garage to get this back going.  I made some down and dirty stands to lift the car off the ground for the body design and construction to save my back and not work on the floor anymore.  

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
12/2/19 8:44 a.m.

After months of staring at the car and contemplating life decisions and such, I have made some design changes...stick with me here.

so rather than making a copy cat supercar body that in reality will still blend into the crowd, lets build something that will turn everyones head.  Open top roadster, no doors or roof.  Basically building my own front engine Lotus 311.  

Im pulling inspiration from the 311 and the Vuhl, as seen below.  stay tuned

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
12/2/19 8:52 a.m.

As im simplifying the car I realized it will much easier to actually rewire the entire car than to try to retrofit the factory wire harness to my needs.  So out with the old...

with that out of the way it time to remove the roof yet again.  now without a roof, theres no need for glass (except a windscreen which will be addressed much later), no windshield wipers, no AC and no sterio.  With roof removed, complete AC system deleted (I will be installing an aftermarket heater core and running heat in the car) I was able to actually see the back of the engine.  I may be the only C5 owner that has seen the backside of the engine without removing it!

I was able to find lots of little oil leaks and easily repair them.  The intake manifold came off to replace the leaking gaskets and the PCV lines were completely disintegrated so they were also replaced.

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
12/2/19 8:56 a.m.

with the chassis stripped its time to further strip the chassis sheet metal down even further.  To mount the roadster style body Ill be making a tub style chassis which will require the existing corvette door jambs at the B pillars to be removed so I can make the tub.

Lots of grinding and cutting right next to the fuel tanks to remove the excess sheet metal.

stay tuned.  more to come

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
12/2/19 9:03 a.m.

In reply to jlk16188 :

Whoa.  That's a pretty significant plot twist. 

I didn't see that coming, but it will definitely be an attention getter!

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
12/2/19 9:10 a.m.

In reply to jlk16188 :

Man, you're crazy! But I just so happen to like this kind of crazy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
12/2/19 9:19 a.m.

Aw man, I liked the roof.  Interested to see where the new plan goes.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/2/19 9:37 a.m.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/2/19 9:43 a.m.

I like the roof, a lot, but also know that how you made it fit shows you'll go somewhere awesome with no roof. I'm looking forward to seeing it take shape!

Also, your new garage looks awesome and what you consider clutter is pretty funny compared to what I'm used to. ;-)

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/2/19 9:43 a.m.

Can you do me a favor and take pictures of all your fuel lines and evaporative emissions stuff and all that that is behind the rear bulkhead in front of the rear wheels? I'm working on a similar C5 kind of project and I know I'm missing parts there but not sure what

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
12/2/19 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I will.  I may be able to give you all of mine.  Im deleting all the emissions systems so what I dont need would be going to the trash

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/2/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to jlk16188 :

Either option would be absolutely fantastic and I thank you for your assistance

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
12/2/19 11:57 a.m.

I was going to comment about a 3 to 4" loss of headroom with the Tib roofline, but that's academic now. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/19 12:47 p.m.

I liked the original plan and I like new one too!

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
12/2/19 1:13 p.m.

In reply to jstein77 :

actually the tiburon roofline gained about 3 inches of headroom over the original corvette roof and huge amounts of driving visability since the A pillars were very slimmed down.  The original A pillars were meant for a convertible chassis (all C5's are made with convertible windshild frames) with sure thick A pillars in an effort to support the car in a roll over which made the pillars very intrusive to your visibility.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
12/2/19 5:56 p.m.

I like the new plan!

(careful with the mission creep, or you'll wind up with:)laugh

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
12/3/19 6:40 a.m.
Agent98 said:

I like the new plan!

(careful with the mission creep, or you'll wind up with:)laugh

well it has to end up somewhere!

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
12/4/19 9:23 a.m.

Absolutely FLOOOOORED!!! Waiting with bated breath!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
12/4/19 10:27 a.m.

Aaahhhh!!!  Super bummed about the loss of that roof.   

I will observe a brief moment of silence

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
12/9/19 1:32 p.m.

This weekend I shortened the front end of the chassis as much as i could keeping the radiator in the stock position.  I cut 11" out of the frame rails and welded it back together.  Im working on a lower radiator mount now to also support the front bumper and splitter

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mKdJzvB2C4IJDdXZT8iZcxRMPhiFoiPQaE3nFOysRtgJYA6ssNeLbi6x1NtYdrQP