1 ... 5 6 7
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/25/22 10:59 p.m.
Jack Heideman said:

Deadskunk,

I wanted to walk through some junk yards looking for a bar that might fit. Unfortunately with my work hours and being gone the past two weekends I couldn't make it. I'm pretty confident I'll be iterating on the sway bars so maybe a junkyard bar is a better option.

I'm a little worried about the heat treating of the bar. I have heard of people heat treating home made sway bars with a torch so I might give that a try.  

I also would like to mention that I am not well educated in Falcon/Mustang performance parts so any useful tips would be appreciated.

Don't you have a spring shop there? I thought all major city's had someone to fix broken springs.  Now days it typically is big trucks  but they have the magic of making metal springy.   
   I usual take mine in there once I've got it bent up.  I typically use hollow tube to save weight ( the center of a spring does almost nothing compared to its weight) 

Then I use clamps for rate adjustment. ( drill a hole the diameter of the bar then cut into the circle of the hole.  Next drill a bolt hole so that when the bolt is tightened the clamp holds onto the bar.   Stiff sway bar? Clamp it real close to the bend.  Softer?  Slide the clamp out to the end.  Measure from the end so each side has the same leverage. Keep notes.  Elkart lake likes 2&3/4 Black Hawk wants 1&1/4 inch.  Etc.  Or Bob likes••••  and Charles wants••• 

It used to cost me $20 to heat treat a bar.  But that's while ago now.  

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bLvj7PgKucdv9w6lzisoanPgPVEFYQ3e1xBjH7HXsZ8WqYToSCEYBiSpyUoxwMG5