1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
7/13/21 11:03 a.m.

Pulling the table off is super easy if you have a rolling tool cart.  Raise the knee, jog the table over so it's on top of the cart, drop the knee a little then start dismantling.  It's a good idea to clean it all up before you use it to replace the wipers and make sure the ways are clear of chips so you don't cause any damage.

Alec Steele has a great video series when he cleaned up his Bridgeport a couple years ago which is where I learned how to take mine apart.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fXceR7lb7A

Cleaning - I wouldn't use anything on the ways that may etch or remove material.  ATF, acetone, nylon brillo pad.  I used crud cutter to clean the decades of maching goo on the outside of my machine,.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/21 11:16 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

APEowner: Thanks so much for the links and advice. I think I'll be able to figure this out.

One realization I'm having: I'm definitely going to be at least removing the table to clean everything up, aren't I? What's the consensus on using Evaporust to clean machine parts? Or should I just clean and wipe down with ATF to reduce the chance of removing any material?

I'd try cleaning a lubing the lead screws and ways before I went through the hassle of removing the table.  I use a 50-50 mix of ATF and CRC 56 for cleaning but really any penetrant would probably work.  I use spindle oil for lubrication.  There is such a thing as Way Oil but I don't like to stock more fluids than I need too so I just use the spindle oil.  From the pictures it appears that your machine is just dirty so I don't think it's going to require more than that.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/21 11:21 a.m.

I recommend you pick up a copies of Frank Marlow's books Machine Shop Know-How and Machine Shop Essentials.  They're kind of pricey but you'll more than make up for the cost in savings from the tooling you won't destroy.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/13/21 12:56 p.m.

FWIW, I snuck out at lunchtime and measured the mill at about 82" tall with its head vertical.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/21 2:04 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

It's One Bridgeport tall with the head vertical.

I berkeleying LOL'd

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/13/21 2:28 p.m.

For reference:

Tom Suddard
7/13/21 2:34 p.m.
Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
7/13/21 2:34 p.m.

You showed me yours, I'll show you my.... leadscrew. My mill is apparently filthy underneath.

I can't tell where your leadscrew ends vs the table.  Let me know, I can pop off my powerfeed and take more pictures of the pieces if you need help.

Slippery
7/13/21 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Yes, but I also think you might need that sleeve. I did not see if it was part of the handle or not, can check tomorrow. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/21 2:48 p.m.

I'm hoping for our sake (but not his) that Tom is tracking expenditures.

Tom Suddard
7/13/21 2:59 p.m.

Speaking of expenditures... I bought a vise on my lunch break at Steve's direction. With a cashback promo for PayPal purchases, this cost me $170. This put it barely more expensive than a generic imported vise, but should be a much better starting point. I bought a used Kurt for another reason, too: Even if it isn't more accurate than a new imported vise (but I'd bet it is), it's not a depreciating asset. If I ever change my mind, I'll be able to sell it for about what I paid without any issues.

Slippery
7/13/21 3:13 p.m.

That's a great price for a 6" Kurt. Might be worth buying the keys to mount it to the table if you will be taking it out often. You will not need to indicate it. 

Slippery
7/13/21 3:14 p.m.

Like this:

Vise keys

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/21 6:17 p.m.

At 82 inches I could get one in the shop. 

Next question. Can you back the hydraulic trailer with the deck about 1" off the ground or is is all or nothing. 

Tom Suddard
7/14/21 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

You can move the trailer with the deck 1" off the ground no problem. It sits on the hydraulic ram at whatever height you'd like. And with the head rotated down, the mill is less than 6' tall.

Keith Tanner
7/14/21 12:30 p.m.

I think an alternative headline for this thread is "Should You Really Put a Bridgeport Mill In Your Home Garage?"

Tom Suddard
7/14/21 12:40 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Perhaps, but that question can't be answered yet. At least not once you get past the qualifying concession that this entire genre of making stuff is reasonable for a home garage. But that's a separate topic :) 

I spent lunch emailing a parts distributor photos and making a list of what I need to get it running. VFD arrives tomorrow, which means it might start making noise by the weekend! 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/14/21 12:41 p.m.
Slippery said:

That's a great price for a 6" Kurt. Might be worth buying the keys to mount it to the table if you will be taking it out often. You will not need to indicate it. 

*Ahem.  With a milling machine - freakin' MAKE your own keys (grin)

I made my own: took the jaw off my off-shore vice and clamped it to the table up-side-down with the fixed jaw referencing the table, and machined the keys to perfect alignment.

My vice actually came with a rotating base, but that was useless; I never used it. A rotary table would be awesome.

Slippery
7/14/21 12:58 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Good point in this case.

The time is better spent making parts to make money for me, so I bought them. But yeah, I could have made them myself.

Keith Tanner
7/14/21 1:02 p.m.

I think making parts on a machine to improve the machine is a requirement for true DIY. Like building a welding cart for a welder, or making filament guides for a 3D printer, or using a sewing machine to make a pincushion or tool holder, or making a fan shroud for a laser cutter. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/14/21 1:18 p.m.
Slippery said:

The time is better spent making parts to make money for me, so I bought them.

Ah, true. I'm not a business; almost all of what I do does not make me money, and I'm not "losing" money by spending time doing things myself. Fair enough.

Tom Suddard
7/15/21 6:43 a.m.

Another papercut: Just ordered a generic imported power feed. 

I think I have a good plan to solve the missing parts jigsaw puzzle and get the mill making chips, but I'm going to hook up the VFD and make sure it actually runs before I order any more parts. 

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/15/21 6:49 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Another papercut: Just ordered a generic imported power feed. 

I think I have a good plan to get the mill running, but I'm going to hook up the VFD and make sure it actually runs before I order any more parts. 

That's got more torque than a Miata!  

You're not helping me ignore my desire for a mill in my garage...I have other priorities...like, um, like, give me a second to come up with one.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/15/21 8:20 a.m.

Following along with interest! 

I want a mill and a lathe, but currently It would be a VERY tight fit. I'm hopeful to get some equipment from someone I know whenever they move out of thier shop, in which case obviously I'll make room for the equipment. 

Tom Suddard
7/15/21 8:49 a.m.

My $200 lathe has been working great, and I'd highly recommend starting with one of these before graduating to a milling machine.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-the-lathe-i-just-bought/144077/page1/

1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j0IKItOtAea73OymWt0JJ80PfzPvxBDwGNt2AcgWf4k0C8Rpo91CuLfQaJeKqj3f