fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
10/10/19 9:09 a.m.

HOLY E36 M3 WEIGHT BATMAN! incredible

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
10/10/19 11:35 a.m.

yep thats why i stayed FWD

and that 2200lb weight was with the carpet and floormats in. i want it to be 2150, im gonna work on it. i think im going to leave the headliner and pillars and door cars in, but i can work on cutting out the bumper crash bars and other things yet. i also need fiberglass seats and a cage since its very not crash safe lol

yes it keeps up with heavier 600whp cars quite well

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/10/19 12:03 p.m.

In reply to HaveBlue83 :

Start drilling holes in non-essential panels. Could always cut off reinforcement from things like the hood and trunk, unless you intend to stand on them at some point. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
10/10/19 2:55 p.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

might be able to gut the trunk to a skin...hood needs some support

ill start poking around...

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
6/26/20 7:11 p.m.

UPDATE: i popped a finger off the clutch fork in a parking lot. It decided to exit the trans LOL. The built TRE trans (LSD, 1-4 double synchros, CR 3-4  GEARS, etc etc, is going in this weekend (hopefully).

Car is still awesome. 3" exhaust is ready to be welded up soon

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
6/26/20 7:22 p.m.

One of my favorite builds is back!

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
6/26/20 8:59 p.m.

Yeah, i been doing stuff to ut but i forgot to update the last year haha

New rad cause the old one got killed by my E36 M3ty mounting. I made up an aluminum bracket that slides on the rad and locks down anywhere. Zero mods to the rad needed. Much betta. Been working great. 

Also, the headlights from a proton are in. That was a pita. They are glass and NOT CHEAP. BUT they are in.

rewedmiata
rewedmiata New Reader
6/27/20 6:08 p.m.

I just happened upon this today from your most recent post, was pulled into it like a black hole. Man this project has really fought you, but you've stayed with it, mad props sir! Little cars beating on bigger cars is my favorite form of this automotive hobby/addiction. 

danyboy741
danyboy741
6/30/20 6:20 a.m.

Love your car and the way you think, great work! It would be nice if all the pictures showed up, at this point there are several missing (not loading). Keep it up, I'll still be lurking cool.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/2/20 8:09 p.m.

Yeah i have to update them at some point. Yep i have the pics somewhere. I gotta get on that E36 M3

Thx guys. Trans should be in this weekend. Ps, its not built........its a stock trans. I got shafted. Either way, i need a trans back in the car.

Ok, progress! Trans is in, just need starter, shift cables,master/slave, axles and dust cover on. Had a late night and got it in by myself in under 3 hrs. Rear roll stop gave me some trouble, and removing it for the install fixed the issue!

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/11/20 6:53 a.m.

New trans is happy. I had an issue with the starter not fully engaging, and a new AC Delco unit fixed that. It just needs an alignment to get the steering wheel straight.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/20 11:49 a.m.

In reply to HaveBlue83 :

Beautifu car! All your work is definitely paying off. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/14/20 6:21 p.m.

Had it out a bunch since last friday. New starter is good. Trans is golden. Tune is set @25psi and tapers to 21 after 5k.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/23/20 4:51 p.m.

3" turboback (hopefully) going on tonight...

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/26/20 7:29 a.m.

Megan Racing 304 SS polished DP and muffler, 304 SS polished pipes. 3" system. I did most of the welding (first timer) we mig'd it, and dads done kig on SS for many years....it holds and the welds dont rust out.

I learned a lot and had FUN. It took 7 hours, it was a complete custom job, even hangers. I have ONE lil 1/2" area that leaked, so i gotta redo that, but i can reach it on the car. Its a nice deep, low, quietly classy tone and i love having a megan setup once again.

l channeled my inner mk4 supra/JDM cant angle and it came out obnoxiously awesome :)

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/27/20 10:57 p.m.

Started doing the rad duct work. Need to get the coolant temps down below 200° when cruising when its 90° + outside. Sides arw on, just need bottom and a top duct, and some hi temp tape to seal sides to the rad.

i had to change out and shorten the MBC lines so it worked properly. i got it sorted last night, and now the car is at 26psi and 38lbs/min airflow. 3rd gear is starting to spin, and they are firehawks in 80° evening temps. no need for more.

the turbo and exhaust sound lovely :)

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
4/5/22 6:34 p.m.

Update for those that care:

rrear bumper was touched up, as the soot stains the paint.

225/45R16 Toyo R1Rs on 16x8" Konig Dekagram flow formed wheels. super light. LOTS of fender pulling for these to clear! these are miata fitment, from good-win-racing. i did the math and they worked out.

i ordered and put on a set of EVO III Coilovers from Silvers. these are the Neomax. AMAZING. 

[

took the car out, quick waxed it and took some spring pics with the DSLR:

[

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/5/22 6:52 p.m.

Went straight to the last page after i saw how long ago this thrash has been going on and now I'm going to page one and take it ALL in......the stance on this is Killer!!!

10001110101 Reader
4/5/22 8:06 p.m.

Beautiful build. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
4/5/22 9:24 p.m.

"Update for those that care:"

This is one of the builds I always read when there's an update, this car just keeps getting better

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/5/22 9:51 p.m.

Hey are you planing to install a tower (strut) brace? or am i one of these honks that has no earthly clue as to wtf I'm tawkin' about???

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
4/6/22 7:52 a.m.

This has got to be a total riot on back roads!

Did the ducting solve the cooling issues?

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
4/6/22 8:34 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

hmmm i prolly should....ill look for an old skool evo cusco brace! good idea lol. 

the cooling issues...lol yeah so after the rad and dicting and the one fan, its like 173° driving in the winter LOL. it only ever gets hotter in traffic in the dead of summer. the single 10" fan just can only do so much. hasnt been a big issue for me lately. 

the new coilovers have barely been messed with, but they are pretty wicked. when entering a corner it feels like the car is being pushed through from behind. it just tracks and goes. its amazing. the ride isnt harsh at all and i only have the dampening set on +10 evenly. 

oh, forgot to mention some other things:

the car is now registered as an Antique! no more insp, no more yearly reg, i am now the inspector :) :) :) love it!!! shoulda done this as soon as it hit 25. 

the rear tires are meatier because i tried a thing, and it worked. i decided to get some 205/50r16 general gmax AS-05s in the rear (again, did the math, insanely close to the rear trailing arm, but they fit!). reason being is that size is the same height as the 225/45r16s up front, so they look the same, but i was able to avoid doing a flare in the rear as they are still on a 16x7. look close, the wheels are different lol.

There is another reason for this: in the winter ill get 2 more gmax tires and put them on the old fronts, and have good all seasons for colder months, and the race tires will be stored. 

heres pics when i got it vs stock and before i adjusted the coils to fit them:

i did manage to find a quaife!! $650 shipped, in awesome shape. the trans is doing ok, so whenever i have to do a clutch on this (soon) im gonna try and take it to a buddys and drop this in and shim the trans up a bit so it holds up. 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
4/6/22 12:11 p.m.

Now that they are well USA legal, any plans on buying an evo 1-3? Unfortunately prices have been americanized, as happens every time a cool car reaches the age of 25. 

Luckily in Canada we have the 15 year rule, so I have an evo 3, 6, 7, and Pajero currently if you are interested I have a thread on here! 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
4/6/22 10:13 p.m.

In reply to tperkins :

i would love a III. of course when they were becoming legal i didnt have the funds for one, and now i could but they added another $10k to them :/

ill look ya up! i built this cause i couldnt get a III in 2012 

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6ADpGvZd0jCi3vnMG7nHXDsoYsHNPf6nahye4ab6OzKAgj5AatZg4rqjMN9j594v