1 2 3 ... 11
AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
5/30/19 6:15 p.m.

Yes I did.

What's the current recoup for a dozen farm fresh eggs? I'm at $1,600 with an unknown condition engine. The budget could get very tight.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/30/19 6:20 p.m.

Oh! This'll be good!

Subscribed

TJL
TJL Reader
5/30/19 6:21 p.m.

Thats a goldmine in parts right? 

Looking forward to a great build. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
5/30/19 6:21 p.m.

Nice!  Gastropod?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/30/19 6:22 p.m.

Dung beetle. now Dung Porsche?

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/19 6:34 p.m.

I mean there is always the LS1 option

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/19 6:39 p.m.

By $1600, you really mean $600 after selling off $1000 in unnecessary interior bits, especially since you certainly have spares of everything in your stash for post-Challenge Resto if you so choose.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/19 8:35 p.m.

Them there litronic headlights sell for $800 a pop on eBay. And I have a spare set of halogen lights for $250. You know, just saying...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/19 8:37 p.m.
TJL said:

I don't think there's a goldmine in parts, but maybe a zinc mine.

Nice Score!

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
5/30/19 9:02 p.m.
Woody said:
TJL said:

I don't think there's a goldmine in parts, but maybe a zinc mine.

Nice Score!

Zinc? Sure, there's some in the alloys, but mostly I'm seeing copper, aluminum, and some iron. The dealership that it was towed to said it would need a new engine. I now concur.

Oil filter:

TJL
TJL Reader
5/30/19 9:04 p.m.

Maybe not a gold mine, but enough to easily cover the purchase price right? 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/30/19 9:17 p.m.

Hmm....

challenge Porsche. 

im kind of interested to see what went kablooey in the engine 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/19 9:19 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Hmm....

challenge Porsche. 

im kind of interested to see what went kablooey in the engine 

Its an IMS era boxster. so that is my guess.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
5/30/19 9:22 p.m.

I see three paths ahead.

1. I could part it and make some money; Noticing the Litronic lights in the CL ad is what broke my resistance to buying another Boxster. I figured that at that price with Lit's I can't lose even if its not economical to repair the car.
  2. I could put about $3,000 to 3,500 into it and have a decent car. Realistically a replacement engine and all the "while you are in there" stuff adds up to at least $3K as a DIY. That would put me at about $5K total. Not stellar for a 'flip', but probably reasonable since it has a clean title.
  3. Challenge car. YES. I've bought two old VW cars as potential Challenge builds, but it just hasn't felt quite right. I'm a Boxster guy. The Scirocco has become a long-term street build and the VR6 Golf is progressing okay, but just doesn't feel very "Me".  I have plenty of parts, lots of recoup potential, and I have torn these cars down to the bare frame (which then I cut into little pieces). I want this to work. How I can work the budget numbers will decide it.
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/19 9:27 p.m.

1. Order LS/Boxster kit from Kennedy

2. Copy said kit

3. Return kit to Kennedy, pay 15% restock fee

4. JY LS

5. ?

6. Profit!

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
5/30/19 9:58 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

The LS swaps are good, but I have no LS experience. There was a guy on the Boxster forum who did a very detailed build that I could follow, but it would be way over budget by the time I had a roadworthy build.

For a Challenge build, I think it's best to stay with what I know. I can make a decent Gastropod Class car if I take a 2.5L 1997 Boxster engine that I offered to give to a friend (free), but he never picked it up. The short version of the story on that engine is that it was poorly installed in a 2000 Boxster S that I bought and ran too hot on the track, dumping coolant. I gave up on it and pulled it out of the car. It has been sitting for a couple years and almost got scrapped. With a good flush of the cooling passages and transferring the plastics/peripherals from the bad engine, it would work. ...but it's just a 2.5L

More work, more budget, and more power would be to swap in an Audi ABZ 4.2L V8. I bought it complete for about $600 shipped a couple years ago and ended up using a newer engine in that project. That is what I want to do, but all the little details of that swap may be a budget buster. I'm going to look it all over and see what maintenance that engine will need and what more I need to buy -on budget- to make it work.

Less likely, I could score a deal on an Audi 2.7L twin turbo or a 1.8T. Those swaps have been done in these cars and mount to the current transmission.

Note: This car has a 'Tiptronic' (automatic) transmission. Maybe not optimal for competition, but actually more robust than the manual transmissions.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/30/19 10:11 p.m.

watching this with anticipation!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/19 11:19 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

I assume you have halogen lights, but if not give me a jingle. I have 00 S taillight as well with the amber for even more recoup potential. Let me know what you are parting out of this one!

As for what to do, Challenge all the way, and do the Audi V8!!! That would be berkleying awesome!!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/19 12:09 a.m.

You are my hero. 

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
5/31/19 7:09 a.m.

1700 US for a Boxster with a bad motor.  Even with an engine swap it is great value.  Just my opinion from a Canadian. LOL  I am following this one for sure.  Audi V8 boxster seems to be the grandchild of the 914/8 built in the 70's.  Using Nike ads.  JUST DO IT!!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/19 7:29 a.m.

I wouldn't sweat the non-manual transmission for the Challenge. You only use 1 maybe 2 gears in autocross, and the automatic is better for drags. Also hard to beat the performance:price ratio of autos for Challenge budgets.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/31/19 8:04 a.m.

If anyone can complete a challenge Boxster, it's you, AAZCD.  Great score.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/19 8:41 a.m.

niiiice!

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/19 8:52 a.m.

Watching close. I fear the day I bite on one. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/31/19 9:32 a.m.

I've always wanted to get a E36 M3ty boxster and turn it into a death kart.

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G8UO9RVsGopkbNCUHOzYOuf5Kx4B77oWmUpGNhzPr28sA0CpHI4MRzlOfdP0j3M8