chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
4/15/15 8:18 p.m.

Probably won't be a challenge car...er...truck, ok it definitely won't.

2001 Chevy 2500HD Vortec 8100, Alison 5 speed Ext cab shortbed

Bought it cheap, has a locked up motor(supposedly). I won't really start disassembling until Saturday but may dig in a little tomorrow and Friday night.

Like to put something together sub challenge budget so I'm Still getting all my ducks in a row to do it right and economically.

photo 1429146751_zps78061e8b.jpg

photo 1429146744_zps52cc2d24.jpg

Powar
Powar SuperDork
4/16/15 7:19 a.m.

Wow. That seems like it must've been a rockin' deal. I'd like a set of those PY0 wheels for my 8-lug Suburban.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
4/18/15 4:45 p.m.

If it had the chrome covered steel wheels I might not have noticed it, these wheels look burly and hide the rust... So...engine definitely is locked up. Heading to PA this weekend to pick up a replacement (thanks andrew!) which I'll swap in ASAP. There are some weird electrical things going on which are to be expected from a truck that had sat in a cow shed for a year. I started removing the steps so that I don't split my head open on the brackets while sliding in and out. Also have to detail the interior before I can work in there, it smells of the cowshed (possibly the elprevious owner lol) and has hay and dirt everywhere. If anyone remembers the interior from my 300te this is actually worse if possible....

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
4/18/15 7:41 p.m.

That looks like a beast of truck, and heck of a deal if you can get the cow shed out of it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
4/18/15 9:35 p.m.

Holy crap.

Drop it 4/6 and you have my dream truck.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
4/18/15 9:37 p.m.

2wd gets dropped, 4wd gets lifted.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
4/27/15 7:14 a.m.

Engine attained, been spending to much time on Raylar Engineerings website for my (budgets) good.

I have a couple things to finish up on my dodge before I can move this up to the garage so it may be end of week before I get it moved.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/27/15 9:18 a.m.

I watch with baited breath. My 8.1L could use a waking up. However, I can't justify anything on Raylar. If you find somewhere else, please post.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
4/27/15 9:21 a.m.

There seems to be nowhere else. Even the crate engines are not available in uprated numbers.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
6/16/15 11:57 a.m.

Any progress on this? Apparently a tune that removes "torque management" really wakes these motors up.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
6/16/15 3:46 p.m.

Storms every afternoon have made progress slow, I am ready to lift the engine/trans/transfer case out. My kiddos have been capitalizing my time away from work so maybe this week sometime I'll yank it.

One issue I see with the "tunes" is that most of the reason GM did that to the programming was to save the rearend. I test drove one sometime in 04/05/06; ext cab long bed and I remember doing a rolling smoky burnout. Ended up with a Dmax due to the Chicago gas prices at the time. Can't imagine the rearend would hold up to much of that.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
6/16/15 4:44 p.m.

Hasn't it got the same rear end as the Duramax trucks? I'm sure the diesel deals more punishment to the rear end, right?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
6/16/15 5:02 p.m.

It has to do with power delivery, the gas engine has all its power right now while The diesel has power as it spoils up. The rear is good I think but that is what the reasoning is for the delay drive by wire feeling.

That's how it was explained to me by a guy who tows a camper with one ( and it makes sense). He has a tuner that he said it took 1200 miles for it to "learn" the system and to calibrate to the computer.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/15 6:37 p.m.

gm 14 bolts are dime a dozen and easy to beef up.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
10/29/15 6:49 a.m.

Well, four months later the engine and trans are actually out. New seals and gaskets in the "new" engine and trans. Should finish swapping ancillaries over tonight, need to order motor mounts and figure out if the stock exhaust manifolds go back in.

Edit: I'm under $1500 in it still.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yYah0WguGPOW8PKAexO2pdNqfX4a4dI3iZk5b3R1ZNp6qRq0wGhu9k7D6XFA8WU2