1 ... 8 9 10 11
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/23 5:04 p.m.

I've bypassed that valve before on a seriously rotten truck.  Definitely a goofy setup.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/23 5:14 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I've bypassed that valve before on a seriously rotten truck.  Definitely a goofy setup.

I definitely thought hard about that but decided to do it right, not super happy about that decision right now.

EvanB
6/4/23 8:51 p.m.

Over the past couple months I bought a newer truck to DD and sold off three vehicles. This weekend I was in VA for a wedding and had the trailer to tow a mower down for my fiance's parents. Her dad has been offering for the past couple years to give me the C3 that has been sitting behind his shop for a long time. With an empty trailer headed back to Ohio I figured I would go see how much work it would take to get it out. 

Last time I saw it (about a year ago) it was completely surrounded by tires so it is an improvement from then. He is working on cleaning up the area around the shop and it had to go. 

After an hour or two I had a path cleared to back the trailer around the building to where the Corvette was. I hooked a strap to the bumper and pulled the back end out a bit but with none of the tires holding air it was just sitting on the gravel and the winch wouldn't budge it. 

The next day I ran to harbor freight and got a floor jack (I wasn't planning on this and had no tools with me) and was able to get it jacked up and sitting on random lumber scraps so it would slide a bit. After a bit of winching I was able to get it where I could jack up the rear high enough to get the trailer backed under it and the rear wheels on the deck. After another hour or so of winching and adjusting I got it as far onto the trailer as I could and strapped down. 

The strap is to hold the door closed as it wouldn't latch. The window has been down since at least 2008? It has been sitting longer than that but moved to this shop around then and was forgotten about. 

After a long drive back to Ohio with no major issues it is now waiting for me to mount up some tires that hold air and get it off the trailer. I'll have to do some deep cleaning and inspection to see if it is even worth saving. That will have to wait till after SOFR this week. 

Some snails were relocated from VA to OH. 

This is a 1-of-1 1975 with the rare factory installed bramble option.

I haven't even opened the hood yet so who knows what's under there. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/4/23 9:01 p.m.

Challenge is in ten months.  I have LS swap parts

EvanB
6/5/23 8:57 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Challenge is in ten months.  I have LS swap parts

What could go wrong?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/5/23 9:04 a.m.

I'll volunteer to locate nascar slicks so you can fot all the rubber

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/23 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I have an extra 5.3 that I'm into for $500

EvanB
6/5/23 9:42 a.m.

What would FMV be on a 75 Corvette that has been sitting outside for decades?

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
6/5/23 9:45 a.m.

In reply to EvanB :

That thing is.  ROUGH!  For Challenge purposes, I don't see anyone arguing with a $500 (or less) price tag.  I wouldn't pay much more than that to bring that car back to my garage.  

EDIT:  I will have a GM 411 PCM and a working stand-alone harness you can use for a non-electric transmission I'd sell for $200 shipped to you.  RacetruckRon is my remote tuner and I'm sure he'd hook you up with some tuning services.  He seems to be helping all the big dawg Challengers lately.  

Dusterbd13-michael
6/5/23 9:54 a.m.

It's worth about $350 in Crusher weight here, I'd go for that for fair market value see it is how rough it is

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/5/23 9:55 a.m.

In reply to EvanB :

I'd agree on a FMV of $500 for this. If you get into it and there is significant frame rust, etc., it could even go lower.

EvanB
6/5/23 10:07 a.m.

It's definitely extremely rough. I wouldn't have paid for it, if I didn't remove it it would have been scrapped. 

We'll see how it goes once I get into it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/5/23 10:22 a.m.

I have HPT and know how to use it...

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/5/23 10:23 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

It's worth about $350 in Crusher weight here, I'd go for that for fair market value see it is how rough it is

I got $80 for my WRX loaded down with extra scrap

wae
wae PowerDork
6/5/23 10:25 a.m.

I don't know... that almost looks like you would have had to have paid someone to remove that from the property.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/5/23 10:35 a.m.

Yeah.... from what I can see,... that's a free car.

Scrappers would take it, but not pay for it.

So its worth the towing and recover bill at most.... $250?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/23 10:39 a.m.

I'm wanting to know what engine is in it.  I always have dreams of some wild engine build from back in the day.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/23 11:08 a.m.

In reply to EvanB :

if you stick with Gen 1 SBC vs LS, i have the starter from my 94 LT1 for which i'd accept a cold beverage at the challenge.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/5/23 12:30 p.m.
wae said:

I don't know... that almost looks like you would have had to have paid someone to remove that from the property.

Agreed. Also remember, to the scrappers this represents a lot of fiberglass you have to pay to dispose if you want to get the metal.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/23 12:39 p.m.
hobiercr said:

In reply to EvanB :

I'd agree on a FMV of $500 for this. If you get into it and there is significant frame rust, etc., it could even go lower.

I agree at $250-$500. I'd pay 500 for that all day knowing a couple parts pay for it and everything else is profit, if i were in a position to do that

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/5/23 1:23 p.m.

1975 was before they went to what Mazda calls a powerplant frame (that was sometime 1980ish, plus or minus).  This might make trans swaps easier, if necessary.

Five bucks says it has the base 350 in it.

Still have PTSD over the power steering hoses.... and all the large diameter vacuum hoses for the headlights... and the nightmare of a fan shroud, so nasty that Chevy made it possible to R&R the radiator while leaving the shroud in place

EvanB
6/7/23 3:17 p.m.

I had extra time today so I started the cleanup on the interior. It's not looking promising but at least I haven't found any animals yet (live or dead). 

I was finally able to get the hood open. I haven't got to the point of trying to turn the engine yet but the oil looks good at least. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

wae
wae PowerDork
6/7/23 3:29 p.m.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/7/23 4:00 p.m.

I will offer you recoup for those valve covers

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/7/23 4:13 p.m.
wae said:

edit: Is that a bird egg in front of what is left of the drivers seat?

1 ... 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kuZucNdQsXU1kJ0th4yNDSfJJBQ9dMsbf5re3GhBi1xkcvzstDLuiaJd74oqHqq7