1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/20 7:16 p.m.

I also maybe decided on the direction for this car. With all the effort to clean it up I am thinking of mainly using it for a street car and fun commuter for nice weather. I have also wanted to try a few track days at Mid Ohio but the Miata is too leaky and rallycross focused to use for that so I think this may be a good option. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/20 5:31 a.m.

A.  I remember when you were finishing up the 240 you mentioning that you were never going to paint another car again.  Skipping ahead to the punchline: "...And this time I MEAN it!"

2.  I was going to post a picture but I don't want to ruin your Vision.  But if you are going where I think you might be going, I am all for it.

D.  So, is porting back on the table?  Also I have acquired way more 6-port carbureted manifolds than I could ever know what to do with, in the process of assembling my '81, which I wanted a 12A in but kept buying 6-port parts for, for some reason

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
4/26/20 7:59 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yea, I know. But this time it will be different! And easier! After this one I won't paint another car. 

It doesn't need to stay stock but I would still like to stay reliable. Another goal is to clean up and simplify the engine bay a bit. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/26/20 8:30 a.m.

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

Reliable with nonturbo is easy, just make sure the oil and coolant stay cool.  And don't use the rev limiter as cruise control.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
4/29/20 4:08 p.m.

Browsing youtube and found some inspiration for something close to what I am going for (minus the t2 hood and spoiler).

Also probably not real Watanabes since I am not going to drop a challenge car budget on a set of wheels. 

I got most of the stuff removed from the engine bay yesterday and pressure washed it for the last time. Now I need to start prepping to paint it. No pictures since it looks mostly the same as the last picture but a bit cleaner. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/29/20 4:22 p.m.

laugh

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
4/29/20 4:25 p.m.

For some reason whenever I am searching for pictures of what I want it to look like everything is a turbo. It's like 98% of FCs are turbo so I should be able to find one anywhere right?

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/29/20 7:40 p.m.

All Japanese market FC were turbos.

Someone told me once that in some markets, all manual trans were turbos and automatics were nonturbo.

Even the European market 6-ports were weird, they used butterfly valves in the intake manifold for the auxiliary ports instead of the sleeve.  You saw how much I hated those sleeves.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
4/29/20 8:50 p.m.

TIL. I was wondering why all the FCs in that video were turbo. Even searching Google image for rx7s all the ones that I am drawn to have the turbo hood. I guess that says something about what I want the car to be (but not turbo).

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
5/26/20 6:00 p.m.

Getting to the rebuild of the spare 13b that came with the car. Pete came down and looked it over to see what I need. 

One of the obvious things is cleaning. All the parts look in good shape but the rotors are caked with carbon. 

I have a parts washer that my neighbor gave me a few years ago. He had it filled with kerosene and I wanted to put it in the basement so I drained that and put in a gallon of water based parts washer degreaser and a few gallons of water. It didn't work well and it was never heated. In hindsight I should have left it in the garage filled with kerosene. 

Opening up the lid after a year or two and it doesn't look great. 

After draining about 6 gallons of the cleaner and nasty sludge it is looking better. Unfortunately the brake cleaner I used for the final cleanup peeled some of the paint off of the tray supports. I hit that with some random spray paint to hopefully keep it from rusting and I will let that cure before I refill it. 

I remembered I have a couple 5 gallon buckets of degreaser (Spray Nine Earth Soap) that is good in heated parts washers up to 180°F. I picked up a bucket heater from Menards today that says it heats up to 180°. I'll try that along with the degreaser to see if I get better results. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/20 8:20 p.m.

How much to just drop the parts at a machine shop and have em hot tanked? If it's like a hundred bucks that might be worth it.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
5/26/20 8:36 p.m.

That would be the easy way. The previous machine shop I used closed and I haven't found a new one. Then I have to deal with dropping them off and following up until I can get them. I also want to see how this setup will work for the future. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/26/20 8:53 p.m.

You also want to keep all the seals organized...

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
5/26/20 8:56 p.m.

That's the next part that I'll probably do tomorrow. Got a piece of plywood today and some router bits...

smokeysevin
smokeysevin New Reader
5/27/20 12:53 p.m.

Here is what I did to my parts washer, I use low odor mineral spirits.

https://www.dezertrangers.com/threads/home-made-tools-hacks.239270/page-5#post-3968756

Sean

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
5/27/20 5:18 p.m.

Tonight I made a big mess in the basement with the router because I couldn't be bothered to take it outside. 

And hopefully ended up with a useable seal tray. 

I need to scrape enough off the rotors to label the seals on the tray then get them cleaned up. 

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
5/27/20 5:19 p.m.
smokeysevin said:

Here is what I did to my parts washer, I use low odor mineral spirits.

https://www.dezertrangers.com/threads/home-made-tools-hacks.239270/page-5#post-3968756

Sean

I like the idea of pulling from an external tank. I would like to get a filter setup on mine but right now I'm just going to work with what I have and see how it goes. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/27/20 6:25 p.m.

Awesome!

Use the router to cut spots for the oil rings and apex seals and springs, too

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
5/27/20 6:32 p.m.

I was planning on doing the apex seals. I'll attempt the oil rings, not sure how good my freehand circle will turn out.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 4:43 p.m.

And, done? The grooves for the oil rings turned out better than I expected. Everything fits and shouldn't move around. 

Now I guess I should actually order some parts.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/29/20 4:47 p.m.

You may find that the O ring grooves are way too small, as are the apex seal grooves.  Figure the apex seals are 85mm by 15mm, to give room for the springs too.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 4:53 p.m.

I tested them out by putting the ones that were already loose in there. I didn't try any with the apex seals and springs.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/29/20 4:57 p.m.

There are two sets of O ring holders per rotor face, though.

Here is the extra craptacular ones I made out of cardboard a while back.

No router, so I used cardboard and headliner glue.  It sucks but it works-ish.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 5:03 p.m.

I see what you mean now. This is what I had.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/29/20 5:08 p.m.

The apex seals in that engine are the old 3 piece style that Mazda has not made since 2002, which puts a timeframe on when that engine was rebuilt.  Even if you get genuine Mazda apex seals, they will be full-height (around 9mm-ish) two piece seals, which are much easier to work with.  And 99% less likely to lacerate your fingers when handling used ones.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EqdrCKQy8drkV0eJLVs7UX9CtbjK4wjLzbHIoE1AoPpHkPQUHBk9icN1SV6zVo94