1 2 3
Steve
Steve New Reader
5/24/19 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Back in the early 70's, after my older brother returned from Vietnam, he purchased me (then 14 years old) a 1957 Ford Fairlane 2 door, perfect body, bad motor.

If i were to tell you anything, be patient, my brother was. He is no longer with us, but every time I work on one of my projects or with my grown sons projects, i try to remember that. Sometimes i fail, but i just suck it up, admit to my human failure and move on. the bonding will last forever.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
6/10/19 9:08 a.m.

Teardown of the new/used engine has begun. Not sure how deep I want to get on this, because the project creep can get really bad. Broke a tab on the water pump housing. Ordered a new one. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
6/13/19 10:04 a.m.

Project has stalled again, but parts have arrived, and the NHL playoffs are over, so we should get back to this soon. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/9/19 9:11 p.m.

Spent some time on the Montero project on Sunday afternoon. Got the exhaust Y-pipe removed and finally got the heads off of the engine in the truck. This one on the passenger side might have been the issue. 

Spent some time on this evening. Looks like I have it ready for removal now. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/10/19 6:47 p.m.

So I was wondering what you guys would recommend doing with the rusty frame on this truck. It's New England rust free, but does have surface rust that would put it in the salvage yard anywhere else. I was thinking, clean up the flaky stuff and paint with POR-15 or some other sort of rust inhibitor. I've been told by others to leave it be, and coat it with fluid film. Thoughts? 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/11/19 12:53 p.m.

Bump. Any thoughts on the rust?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/11/19 7:04 p.m.

Got the engine out this afternoon with help from my oldest son. Made a mess, but got it out. 

Comparing him to the pictures at the beginning of the thread makes me feel old. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/12/19 2:09 p.m.

What is the best way to clean up spilled gear oil, motor oil, coolant form a driveway? Of course it rained about 5 inches this morning too, so it has probably spread.

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
7/12/19 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I'd go with kitty litter or similar to soak it up. You can also use an old towel with some weight on top if it's not gonna rain for a bit. Then use some water based degreaser and a scrub brush to get the remainder. If you want to be nice to the environment, use a wet/dry vac to pull up the degreaser and wash water. 

As for the frame, I'd convince my son that if he wants it to last, he needs to sand it all down and paint it. That looks like hella project creep if you get involved yourself. wink

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/12/19 3:19 p.m.

In reply to BirgerBuilder :

Thanks for the response. I feel the project creep already beginning. It seems I'll be doing most of it too. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/13/19 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Honestly, I'd just squirt the entire frame/underbody with fluid film.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/13/19 8:26 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Honestly, I'd just squirt the entire frame/underbody with fluid film.

I've had several suggestions of this exact thing. Does this really work? It won't make it look any better though, correct? 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/13/19 9:06 a.m.

Your frame / suspension and under body are really Rusty all over. To make meaningful progress you would have to do a complete frame off, every nut and bolt removed, then blast/ wire wheel all the rust off. After that, paint.  Is it worth that? Only you can decide.

Search out fluid films site and look at their salt spray test results. It's pretty good stuff. 

No, it will not improve the appearance, only slow down the cancerous rust process.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/16/19 8:18 a.m.

Had a couple of friends over yesterday to help me get the engine installed in the Pokémontero. Now my son and I can work on getting it all buttoned up. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
9/16/19 4:21 p.m.

Looks like a pretty good time.  Every once in a while i wish mine was a 3.0. I have a strong affection for that motor. I once built 'the world's fastest dodge dynasty' by swapping a 5spd into a 3.0 dynasty and running a 15.2 1/4 mile with a slipping clutch. I sold it way too cheap to a guy who claimed he was gonna swap the goodies into a minivan and then never did it. My consolation prize is that i technically own a 3.0 sohc 5spd stealth AND 3000gt which could someday be combined into one good car. I say technically because one has no title and the other one i haven't picked up yet. Or I could piece together all the 3.0/5spd stuff i have for one of my minivans including a rare aftermarket turbo manifold and actually make it a runner. 

Whole lot of somedays... You are way ahead of me on your 3.0 project!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/16/19 7:22 p.m.

I don't know if I'd say I'm way ahead of you. The engine is in, but I still have a lot of work to do. Bolted the torque converter to the flex plate today. Installed these brackets that go from the block to the lower part of the transmission bell housing, but stripped the threads on one of the transmission holes 

Didn't even crank on it really hard. 

Mounted the starter too 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f1L3JX5wvr07OJ0xY3AstYG6sprGtrWrH3V0K9edOATRc7aePuq3OR3RVVUi88Ne