Crazier
Crazier Reader
1/14/19 7:21 p.m.

[URL=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/rbates74/p/fa6a2371-7d4f-4ea5-9a58-61045715f27c][/URL]

[URL=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/rbates74/p/28f2fce4-5f60-4ab7-a73b-7bc77afe6f07][/URL]

[URL=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/rbates74/p/1a9c3b6c-a9b1-47aa-933c-b2407ab97373][/URL]

We all know that car is not worth $1500 with all that damage (hood, headlight, radiator, radiator saddle, fender, air cleaner box) and 216k miles.

He says its a "fresh" motor/trans and it could be, but there is no paperwork. So, before i make the 2 hour trip i tell him that at most it was only worth $750. He gets a little offended... I tell him that i am seriouse and that i would bring cash and a trailer the next day, he reluctantly agrees.

I get there today and... He can only find 1 key, the battery wont hold a charge,2 of the tires are off their beads and wont take air. And the car won't start. 

I offered him $350 (scrap price)

As we are loading the thing one of the trailer tires goes flat... So that led to a bad day...

I got home after dark, got it unloaded and take a few minutes to fiddle with it... Did you know that the computer is right under the airbox directly behind the radiator saddle where this was hit?

Had it running and even drove it a bit until the thermostat opened and it started dumping antifreze.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
1/14/19 7:43 p.m.

[URL=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/rbates74/p/46fe3223-5935-40ed-8ad2-852cd2b6f984][/URL]

[URL=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/rbates74/p/46fe3223-5935-40ed-8ad2-852cd2b6f984][/URL]

[URL=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/rbates74/p/f8361c2c-3c7c-4c74-ae93-d0bc4c21c371][/URL]

The day before i bought the compG i was working a deal for a GTP with an XP cam and no frame... Michigan rust... $500.

I found this other add and wanted the rebuilt zzp snout and pulley off this gen 5 charger but he wouldnt come down from $200 and he wouldnt split them. I had no real use for the charger or the pulley because it required an IC. As it turns out he has an IC in anouther post for $500. Well. we talk for a while. We have a lot in common, both with good day jobs to pay the bills and both running scrap at night for car parts.

He is still trying to upsell me... Finally i tell him that I have $700 and he needs to make me a deal i cant refuse. So he says... Everything but the injectors and the CAI.

As it turns out "everything" is a zzp intercooler set up, otherguy headers and downpipe, electric cut out, ported gen5 charger 3 inch modular pulley modded fuel rail ls4 MAF and North star throttle body.

Xp cam and injectors are still in the car. If he pulls the cam im going to buy it and the injectors and the CAI or i can buy a cam (or more likely rockers) for about the same price.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/14/19 7:53 p.m.

Let me welcome you to all that is what you least expect.......I'm currently in Birmingham Alabama and these creatures are everywhere.....will be following along....  

Crazier
Crazier Reader
1/14/19 8:00 p.m.

So. I passed on the $500 gtp in favor of the compG.

Plan is to hammer out the radiator saddle and drop in a radiator from.a car i scrapped last week and then drive it till spring.

Around the end of march i plan to swap in the ported SC and the IC but the modded fuel rails are for the old return style. The MAF and TB are also for the old drive by cable instead of tbe 04 DBW

So i need to figure out if i can switch to the old style TB and fuel rail. Anyone know?

The headers downpipe and cut out should swap right in.

I have to figure out how much power i can make to know what injectors i need and i would still like to find some 1.9 rockers and then i can take the car right to ZZP (30 miles away) for a reflash.

Car is big and heavy, but should be fun to drive until i can find a suitable donnor for the CompG FieroCet...

Crazier
Crazier Reader
1/14/19 8:06 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

There are 15 gtp under $2500 within 200 miles of me, many with what used to be VERY expensive modifications. At the moment no one seems to want them and the prices keep falling, except for the Very nice examples.

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
1/14/19 9:03 p.m.

I had a 05gt as my first real car. I feel like buying a cheap one is a no lose situation. They are cheap, plentiful donor examples and nice highway drivers. I miss my old one. It gave me 100k miles with no issues. 

Crazier
Crazier Reader
1/15/19 6:31 a.m.

I got on the bandwagon when i bought an 04 impala plain jane 3800 for $400. Running and driving just needed tires and brakes.

Great car, smooth and peppy.

I WAS going to do a top swap. Picked up the parts for $125 (plus an extra motor and computer ect)

Then i found facebook market place... Everything that should be on Craigslist is now on FB (i hate FB) What can you do?

I may still top swap the IMP. Can bolt on 75 HP for $250...

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/15/19 6:38 a.m.

These seem genuinely horrible in a "90's Pontiac" sort of way, though I've never spent any time in one to confirm. I'm interested to see how it all works out. 

Crazier
Crazier Reader
1/15/19 8:00 a.m.

Well... It is going to "workout" swapped into a much lighter car... The GTP is A giant ugly boat.

However, no reason not to drive it! Radiator is free.

I really need a source for info on the TB and return line swap though. All the 3800 forums seem dead.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
1/15/19 5:05 p.m.

Radiator saddle was rusted out before the crash if the oposite side is any indication.

In trying to straighten the radiator saddle i managed to break it free from tbe fender... Oops and since the bottom of the otherside is also not connected anymore... 

When i had it where i thought I wanted it, I attempted to move it, and when the engine put stress on the cradle it broke the last stretched metal on the fender and the rusty welds on the bottom of the other side... So now the saddle is only conected at 1 out of 4 points and the engine does bad things!

Crazier
Crazier Reader
1/17/19 7:08 p.m.

I just returned from a 6 hour trip. Picked up a 1999 gtp with bad trailing arms for $1000... Now i have some choices to make.

The 99 is reported to have JE pistons a VS cam LS springs and retainers. It very Visibly has an intercooler, gen5 swap zzp pulley.

[URL=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/rbates74/p/5777e3aa-5cdf-47c7-9da2-58b8fd6bf769][/URL]

[URL=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/rbates74/p/0e24d867-e9cf-4930-a204-5f75c44e703d][/URL]

[URL=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/rbates74/p/d7df013d-2838-4283-bdc7-fe52dd5abd3e][/URL]

[URL=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/rbates74/p/6a591b2b-05fd-4321-a4ae-05b79569b10c][/URL]

Crazier
Crazier Reader
1/17/19 7:29 p.m.

The old SC was still in the trunk!

A lot of the parts that i had already picked up are going to do a "top swap" on the impala that i am going to give my son.

We have a LOT of parts now and choices to be made. I have almost enough to do 3 motors my wind is whirring with possibility... I havent hardly thought of my stalled C4 project.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
1/18/19 8:21 a.m.

Spent some time on the planning stage last night.

Block with JE pistons goes in the CompG. Going to be my daily for a while. But im going to put the stock cam back in. It will get (keep) a pulley a set of headers and an intercooler. It may or may not get the 60# injectors as i haven't determined its HP and E85 needs.

I am going to put together a "max effort" longblock and trans for a different project yet to be named. It will get cammed and cooled and pullied and it will definitely run on E85. It will not get the forged pistons as it will run on junkyard blocks that get replaced a couple times per season.

I have not determined where to put the 2500 stall converter. I am leaning toward putting it in the G. At the track i can usw the "left foot trans brake" but that is a pain to do on the street, but i wont actually need the stall without a cam/lifters. Really would like a second cam and converter. But the cam is actually "easy" to swap later.

A top swap will happen with the impala plus any parts not used on the other two. 

I have my eye on a couple other projects that people have given up on. But they haven't dropped the price enough. I sill want a better cam for the max effort motor so i can pit the VS cam in the CompG

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/18/19 9:17 a.m.

Sweet! I had an 05 CompG for a while. I picked it over a manual G35 sedan.  Did a few odds and ends to it but nothing major. That supercharger scream is addictive.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/20/19 12:43 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

These seem genuinely horrible in a "90's Pontiac" sort of way, though I've never spent any time in one to confirm. I'm interested to see how it all works out. 

They have flaws, but they're comfortable and I still like them quite a bit to this day.

My family had a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP supercharged from October 2004 to February 2017. My 2016 Mazda 6 replaced it. 

I daily drove the GTP from August 2008 until I left for college in august 2009.

Mediocre/crap fuel milage, but torque for days and pulled well to 120 mph according to the HUD when the speedo topped at 110.

I don't seem to have any photos of our car, but TTAC found an identical one in the junkyard in 2012. 

Black on tan sedan with the chrome 5 spoke wheels

Good luck with the build crazier!

Crazier
Crazier Reader
1/20/19 6:23 p.m.

If only it wasnt so cold!

Ive been trying to find a solid radiator saddle... They dont seem to exsist.

We are thinking to make a new one out of angle iron and then weld parts of the old saddle onto it where the dog bones and radiator saddle bolt on.

Ive yet to decide if i plan to replace the AC compressor or just neuter it.

May have located an old circle track car with a bit of rust and a bad trans but a very nice cage to put the max effort motor into.

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
1/20/19 8:59 p.m.

This is giving me some batE36 M3 crazy ideas man.... Like a L67 top end swapped Buick LeSabre.... A turbo and cammed stock looking 96 LeSabre... Or even more batE36 M3... an 5.3 LS4 powered late 90's early 2000's Cadillac Sedan DeVille..... The DeVille swap is looking promising if I can get things figured out....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wmZ09AZ23Gd2mxXPdU7LhLPi7Zct7AciYLgsfy6gJByfXIBASNnwUUuy1DdzyYYb