RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
7/11/21 1:16 p.m.

Finally getting a chance to work on the Locost 7 project I bought a while back.
Putting the engine on the stand today so that I may clean it up.
Not intending a rebuild but do want to replace gaskets and seals as I despise leaks.
Cortina engine does not even come up in a lot of searches but Pinto 1600 does.
I believe the gaskets and seals should be the same?
Also FF engine so hoping there are some folk here who know a bit about these.

First question, which brand gasket set?

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
7/11/21 1:46 p.m.

If you in fact have a Cortina engine; is it a standard non crossflow or could it be the Cortina GT ( also a non crossflow).

Have you talked with Dave Bean Engineering?  Ask for Ken Gray.  Be at piece, they all leak, they are British.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
7/11/21 2:37 p.m.

In reply to jr02518 :

711M cross-flow, Webers on the right and headers on the left.
Actually came from a famous maker Seven replica.
Paid rather a lot for it as these engines are now hard to get.
Going for a pretty traditional build despite the oversize chassis.

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/11/21 3:13 p.m.

BAT in Florida is another source as well as PegeasusAutoRacing.com.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
7/11/21 3:35 p.m.

Another great source BURTON POWER, but the shipping is from England.    If you just need gaskets, pegeasus  will have those.

I used to run one of these in my Fiesta race car.   For a lot of stuff, it is basically a formula ford engine.  If it is a cortina engine, the head will be different,  the FF head is flat, no chambers, the cortina head has small head chambers.  The FF head can be used, but need to be careful of piston to valve clearance.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
7/11/21 7:01 p.m.

Surprise of the day, https://www.moroso.com/valve-cover-ford-kent-1600-engines-68200/
Not a good fit for my use but interesting that they are listed.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
7/19/21 9:11 p.m.

A pic as it is now.
Chassis is on the build table.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
7/20/21 10:49 a.m.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1.6L Kent for my Fiesta. I have 90% of the parts to build it but the hang up in my machine shop as they are swapped with the bigger paying jobs getting pushed forward, mine gets pushed to the side.  Most likely I won't have a running engine until early next year.

I have ordered parts from Burton's and have been happy with their prices. Shipping is costly but some items they sell I haven't found elsewhere or the price were way higher.

I'm using 1.3L - 0.060" pistons as they result in a compression of over 10:1. I have a Kent Cams "Hi Torque" cam kit with 0.420" lift at the valve but with reasonable duration for a smooth idle.

Once the pistons are machined for the cam lift the compression should come down to just below 10:1. 

t's easy to make 120 HP with a 1650 cc Kent and be street able in a Fiesta.

A Super 7 being lighter can handle a bigger cam and with a set of Webers make 140-150 HP with just the normal mods.  

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
7/20/21 12:25 p.m.

Intent is that it does not need rebuild, just cleaning up.
We will see how that goes.
I already have the Webers and header exhaust that came with it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7yZs9pDN2K28V7DnSjFS8xCpGJqNcIsFwfP4HrR0XoBoMKGWfUc4IhG8Atkjil15