1 2 3
Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/18 4:03 p.m.

So I was scrolling throug Copart looking for this years Autocross car/Track car since I sold my Miata last fall. I stumbled across this car. I knew instantly what it was. So I waited for it to go up for auction and it was mine. This is Neon number 7 in my fleet of crappy neons and my 2nd 01 ACR. 

It was "totaled" for front end damage, once home it needs a hood and its good to go. Best $275 I have spent on a neon. 

https://www.copart.com/lot/22161478?resultIndex=0&totalRecords=1&backTo=%2FlotsWon%2F&flag=1

This will be a little bit of a log/build thread for this ACR, hope everyone enjoys it!

Stuff that needs currently done:
Fix the rear window- Done
Install shifter and bushings - Done
Change all the fluids - Done
Timing belt and water pump and front seals 
Plugs and wires - Done
Thermostat and housing - Done
PCV valve - Done
mount tires (might buy something else) - Done
Install catch can (might go on other ACR) 
get a new driver side seat 
get a shift knob - Done

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
2/7/18 4:19 p.m.
HonestSpeedShop said:

rebuilding the KONI struts on it

The 2nd gen ACRs came with Dynamic/Multimatic struts, not Konis.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/7/18 4:58 p.m.

I don't know anything about the second gen ACR's. What made them special?

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
2/7/18 5:06 p.m.

It's an R/T without the flash. 150hp Magnum sohc, 3.94FD trans, 4 wheel discs, 19mm rear sway bar, the aforementioned Dynamics struts (which are freakin sweat rallyx struts btw) 

Not as light and nimble as 1gns but very cool. Can't wait to see progress.

enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
2/7/18 9:18 p.m.

I should probably know this (as I recently bought a 1st gen Neon ACR) but how does one identify a 2nd gen ACR without looking closely? Any cosmetic differences from an R/T?

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
2/7/18 9:45 p.m.
enginenerd said:

I should probably know this (as I recently bought a 1st gen Neon ACR) but how does one identify a 2nd gen ACR without looking closely? Any cosmetic differences from an R/T?

The front lip spoiler and the dual tip exhaust are about the visual clues.  An R/T would have those plus either the hoop or hammerhead spoiler, and possibly a sunroof.   The ACRs were only made in 01-02, so none of the facelifted cars from 03-05 would be an ACR.  

Professor_Brap
2/7/18 9:57 p.m.
red_stapler said:
HonestSpeedShop said:

rebuilding theKONI struts on it

The 2nd gen ACRs came with Dynamic/Multimatic struts, not Konis.  

The car currently has konis on it, I have a spare set of the multimatic struts I'm waiting on inserts for. 

Also R/T come with Silverstones wheels. 

I ironically have 2 silver 2g acrs and a 2g R/T lol

Professor_Brap
2/8/18 10:27 a.m.

Got it titled, got a hood, and stuff for my inspection today. need to install the hood and swap wheels and it should be road legal tuesday, then the maintance can begin. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/8/18 10:45 a.m.

Great score......a crinkled hood equals totaled? How many miles?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/18 11:14 a.m.
759NRNG said:

For a low end car like that over 15 years old?  Yeah.  You bet.

Professor_Brap
2/8/18 11:14 a.m.
759NRNG said:

ya, the insurance estimated the fix for it to be $600 and valued at $978. Car has 171K on it. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/18 11:21 a.m.

This is why I avoid CoPart.  

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE New Reader
2/8/18 11:57 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Anything close to 15 years old now will likely get totaled in an accident- in the AW11 MR2 community, they advise spending only around ~$5,000 on an MR2 since any accident will see it totaled out due to age and it's the max payout for some insurance companies.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
2/8/18 1:15 p.m.

i always thought the acr was a 2 door only car? 

Professor_Brap
2/8/18 1:23 p.m.
Mad_Ratel said:

i always thought the acr was a 2 door only car? 

1st gen ACR came in a 2 door and a 4 door. 2nd gen was 4 door only. 

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
2/8/18 2:34 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

The car currently has konis on it, I have a spare set of the multimatic struts I'm waiting on inserts for. 

Ah, interesting that someone swapped Konis onto it.  Still worth pointing out to onlookers that they came with awesome double-adjustable dampers.

Professor_Brap
2/8/18 3:33 p.m.
red_stapler said:
Professor_Brap said:

Ah, interesting that someone swapped Konis onto it.  Still worth pointing out to onlookers that they came with awesome double-adjustable dampers.

Per what I could find Via old time neon folk and the forums the konis are 4ish years old and he pulled about the multimatic struts due to one leaking and couldn't source a insert.

Update: ordered tires and went to my storage unit to get a core so I can get a short throw with rod brakes for it. Also some more pictures. 

Professor_Brap
2/9/18 11:18 a.m.

Swapped out wheels today to my lebaron wheels with snow tires due to the wheels on it having cords showing. Also checked out all the suspension and found a plesent win, inner and outer tyrods are new as are both CV axles. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/9/18 11:28 a.m.

Amazing find! Well done sir 

Professor_Brap
2/12/18 9:55 a.m.

Drove the turd ACR home so I can get it ready for my inspection on the 20th. Going to do general maintance and clean it up in the mean time. 

Picture is the ACR next to my DD 280K RT 

Professor_Brap
2/14/18 9:48 a.m.

More updates, nothing to cool but still updates. 

Did a oil change and found it had a mopar filter dated 9-3-17 with mileage wrote down on it, and send a oil sample out to blackstone labs. Also did a trans fuild flush, check all wheel bearing and did a brake fluid flush and bleed. 
Changed out shifter bushing to some nice new ones, and found a broken window cable in the rear door. 

Got all my stuff to do timing and motor mounds on the way so we will really be able to get some work done here soon. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
2/14/18 2:10 p.m.

Very cool

Professor_Brap
2/20/18 12:12 p.m.

Car passed inspection with flying colors! Got tags and tires ordered today. Got 2 sets coming in so we shall see what gets put on this ACR. 

This week?weekends goals are to deep clean the interior, buff the headlights, put in my export tail lights, and install my short throw and possibly mount and ballance some tires. 

Professor_Brap
2/21/18 10:14 a.m.

PROGRESS!!! Swapped the multimatic struts back in last night, control arm bushings, and aligned this morning! 

Professor_Brap
2/22/18 10:29 a.m.

Toyo R1R are what is going on this car. Ordered a catch can and did brake pads for the 3rd time. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GN8WZiPqYKSv9PvW81mLBOQWHgr8B5nEZhtr0wdNjB06ekomzxxsieUNlRty0i7K