1 2 3 ... 6
dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/21 7:43 p.m.

So I bought this. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/porsche-boxster-some-un-flattening-required-nmna/185501/page1/

Top is gone, cleaned up some other odds and ends after driving to pick it up today. 

Runs, drives, and stops. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/21 7:51 p.m.

If you're going to track it, I have a slightly used set of really noisy brake pads that I removed from my 2006 Cayman S. You can have them for nothing and I think we're close enough to meet in the middle. 

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/14/21 8:08 p.m.

This place never ceases to amuse / amaze me. Watching with interest

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/14/21 8:13 p.m.

In reply to dan0 (Forum Supporter) :

You have mail. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
8/14/21 8:32 p.m.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
8/14/21 8:38 p.m.

After getting home and a little bit of cleaning. Top was destroyed, ripped and pieces bent. Also where it mounts behind the seats some of the cast aluminum cracked. So it will go topless for now. Doesn't matter much because of the shape of the windshield frame right now. I'm hoping it can be repaired / cut out / replaced so that I can get a windshield in again. Then I'll make a decision on the top. 

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
8/14/21 9:31 p.m.

If not, well...different generation of Boxster, but you get it. devil

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/21 9:51 p.m.

I see so much win.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/21 12:26 a.m.

Boxter-cart of DOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/15/21 6:58 a.m.

Confirmed: This was a smart purchase. 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/15/21 7:15 a.m.

Kart or speedster. I love it!

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/15/21 7:35 a.m.

Kart is not smart.  They always look like a wreck. Speedster is the way to go with a real low windshield. Buy a couple of used  pieces, cut off the damaged fender & replace with a straight one mig welded back on. Then replace the engine cover.  If you hunt Co-part you'll match the color .  Have a body shop touch up the weld spots. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/21 8:51 a.m.

Excellent

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/21 9:50 a.m.

I know opinions are like...noses, but something like this (MR2 based kit car) would be cool.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/15/21 9:55 a.m.
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/15/21 10:29 a.m.

Fiberglass/carbon panels probably exist for everything bent on this. A speedster with lighter panels and removal of things like the AC, cruise etc to lighten it further would make a nice track or street car.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/15/21 10:58 a.m.

Do you have a plan yet? I have stuff. Lots of stuff. I am driving to NH from OK in mid-Sept and was thinking of driving a Boxster, but could drive Tow Pig and bring a trailer load of ...stuff.

'01 that I am stripping out now:

'98 that I will probably rebuild, but is currently full of other Boxster parts:

2000 S that I just stripped and scrapped: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/81412-jon-oks-2000-s-junk-car.html

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/21 12:07 p.m.

Find a last gen New Beetle shell.  Rebody Boxster with it. Make a modern interpretation of a 356. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
8/15/21 1:14 p.m.
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) said:

Do you have a plan yet? I have stuff. Lots of stuff. I am driving to NH from OK in mid-Sept and was thinking of driving a Boxster, but could drive Tow Pig and bring a trailer load of ...stuff.

Big plans:

First is get an idea of how the windshield frame could be repaired and get glass in there. 

Second is what to do about the drivers side quarter to get a taillight in there. 

Then I haven't really decided. In the meantime I'm just putting around with little things like cleaning, maintenance, figure out what else needs attention (exhaust leak). 

I'll figure stuff out and get in contact. Woody dropped your name this morning when I saw him and it's awesome you found the thread on the car. I like the choice in tow rig too. I towed it home with a 2011 Touareg. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
8/15/21 1:23 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Find a last gen New Beetle shell.  Rebody Boxster with it. Make a modern interpretation of a 356. 

Or...

'73 Porsche 914+Boxster: wickedgarage.com 1973 porsche 914 Boxster

1103 by Roger Grenon, on Flickr

'72 Karmann Ghia+Boxster: porsche-boxster/kharmann-ghia-body-boxster

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
8/15/21 1:40 p.m.

This pic is labeled as a 2005, but I have cut apart some 2001s and the structure is the same.

I ruined a couple blades trying to cut the "Ultra High Strength" steel. The body shell parts can mostly be removed and replaced by drilling out spot welds:

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
8/15/21 1:52 p.m.
dan0 (Forum Supporter) said:

First is get an idea of how the windshield frame could be repaired and get glass in there. 

I'd try a jack with a 2x4:

Followed by a trip to the glass shop:

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
8/15/21 2:09 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I would love to, but I just don't have the skill / motivation to tackle it now. I know I should just learn but I just want to drive the stuff sometimes over a long build. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
8/15/21 2:12 p.m.
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd try a jack with a 2x4

Wouldn't hurt at this point. 

That picture of the removed quarter is great. A big boost to see a repair to that without tons of body shop $$$

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
8/15/21 2:34 p.m.

That picture of the removed quarter is great. A big boost to see a repair to that without tons of body shop $$$

That pic was my first attempt at replacing a body panel. I learned a lot in the process. Here's a link to 1,000 + photos from the Porsche 914+Boxster build that I found. There are some very good images of the structure of the Boxster mixed in there. https://www.flickr.com/photos/wickedgarage/albums/72157649025270824

(Personally, I don't like how their final product came out aesthetically, but I really respect their process and work.)

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bOx6lHeAbPgSZnakStkvOLsKmusfhzJbjBk24mL4gZxE4buGaZ1SZilOouUbkKma