1 2 3 4 5 6
dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/30/21 9:26 a.m.
TED_fiestaHP said:

Harbor freight sells a hydraulic ram tool, has lots of adapters and stuff.  For what it can be used for, it is really cheap.  I have one, it's really handy.

I also bought the tool they have, that welds little sticks to the dent, then you use a slide hammer on the little sticks.  Takes a little practice, you start at the edges of the dent, and keep making the dent smaller.

The spot welder is already on my shopping list. I've seen that ram as well and considering it over jack and 2x4. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
8/30/21 9:28 a.m.
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) said:

If using the jack & 2x4 method make sure that the surface that you are pushing from is reinforced so that it doesn't deform as the other end is corrected. -Push from a wide base to a focused point.

I was thinking the same. Before I get a dent or hole through the floor. I have some wide boards used previously as ATV loading ramps to cut smaller and use as base plates. 

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
8/30/21 11:33 a.m.

The hydraulic ram tool will be far better than attempting to use a bottle jack.  You do have to be careful about what you are pushing against, when I used it on a race car, the cage was far stronger than the dented sheet metal, so that was handy.  One nice thing about the ram tool, the pump is on a hose so you can be a little bit away from the ram,  Go slow and it just might work....

The tool that welds those little sticks on, yep it basically spot welds them on, so there can't be any paint.  Any paint and won't make electrical connection and nothing happens.  The slide hammer attachment is a little tricky to use, takes a little practice.  Handy if you don't have access to the other side of the dent.  Work the edges of the dent and slowly make the dent smaller, actually kind of fun but takes time.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
8/30/21 11:51 a.m.

Pictures of mini cooper roof repair, using the harbor freight slide hammer tool.   Not sure how this compares to some of the dents you have, but you can see what can be done.   Start at the edges of the dent, pull each stick just a little bit.  Can always go back and pull again on some of them, just don't over do it on one spot.   Sometimes you have to remove some that get in the way of adding more where you want.   Much better than the old dent pulled that would leave a bunch of holes.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
9/6/21 4:56 p.m.

I might just have to buy another Boxster and turn this into a cart.  I've driven it a total of 3 times and not sure if I can wait to drive more. 
1. 100 yards to load and unload. 
2. 1/2 mile up my street and back

3. 3.9 miles total. Let it warm up and cruised a little bit then opened it up on a straight road. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/21 9:18 p.m.

I have an engine hoist that I'm not currently using if you want to give that a try. It has a pretty long reach. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
9/7/21 4:45 p.m.

I have one at a friends house I need to go collect. 

I've been working on the fenders and quarters with some success. 

I really need to try the windshield frame soon so I know what direction I'm going to end up going.

I've  also been looking at other cheap Boxsters now to potentially get one on the road quick then take longer with this or migrate it to a cart project. 

Still having fun. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
9/20/21 7:24 p.m.

The urge to turn this into a cart is rising. 

AND buy another Boxster to swap a VW/Audi  1.8t into. 

I have problems. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
10/20/21 5:07 p.m.

Well it's going half cart I think. Latest plan is to gut as much weight out as possible. Cut out the rest of the windshield frame, remove dashboard, and then build (or more likely have someone qualified build) a cage for it that I can throw a half windshield on. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/30/21 7:58 p.m.

Slow progress because winter is coming. The 08 A4 Avant I bought in July came with a new in box set of taillights. Finally got around to listing those and they ended up selling quick. Ordered some Depo taillights after depositing the cash. They arrived today. Drivers side needs more work but passenger fits and could be bolted in. Needs a little more tweaking to be water tight but it's progress. 

Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/30/21 10:14 p.m.

I just realized you are not that far from us.  I'm enjoying your journey with this car and support the idea of a kart.  I'm a member of the 'Vette karts group on Facebook and the idea is very appealing to me.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/21 12:42 p.m.

Car has no roof or windshield and you're worried about the taillight not being water tight?

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
12/1/21 2:38 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Car has no roof or windshield and you're worried about the taillight not being water tight?

I don't mind if I get wet. But I don't want my electronics getting wet. I know I'll need to do something with the box under the driver's seat that is known for dying in water. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/21 7:19 p.m.

I'll bet anything near that taillight is a lot more waterproof than anything that lives near carpet :) 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
12/2/21 2:59 p.m.

Carpet is coming out. At that point I'll protect the box under the seat in some fashion. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
4/22/23 7:45 a.m.

Long time since an update. So I've just been slowly hammering on dents and not getting too far. The holding point was I really would like a windshield and want it to be safe as well. Even most cases if I turned it into a cart I'd like some wind protection. And the shape of the Boxster is nice so I think to myself I should make this nice.

So what would any normal person do? Well probably be in this situation to begin with... But for me it's buy a clean shell from across the country. 

Saw this thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/boxster-roller-chassis-1500-best-offer-nmna/240211/page1/

With link to this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/82893-01-986s-roller-chassis.html

Kinda gave up for a couple weeks then made this thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/trips-adventures-and-get-togethers/anybody-near-abq-with-a-trailer/241907/page1/

So half the battle is won. Once I get the shell I'll be parting excess parts, basically starting with non-essential parts first because maybe I'll still end up making a cart out of the first Boxster.

I realized I wanted a mostly clean Boxster and adding up windshield frame, pillars, rear quarters, hood, rear deck lid, etc. A different shell made sense. 

Here's a picture of the shell back when it was complete.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/22/23 9:15 p.m.

That's awesome that you put the deal together.  There were times that I thought of heading out to Albuquerque on a couple days off to get it, but I was never short enough on Boxsters or long enough on time to actually do it.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
4/23/23 7:00 p.m.

Loaded up from the seller and now 50 miles closer. Now for the next 2100 miles...

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
5/8/23 8:50 p.m.

I'm pumped on this. It's a mess, but rust free and straight. A bigger project than I've ever done before.

Basically my 09 Audi TT is just going to be a bolt on daily, coilovers, wheels, exhaust, chip.

My 04 Touareg V8 is getting a Eurowise lift and 35"s, has Jeep wheels with adapters already, and will be getting a factory rear locker swapped in.

The Boxster is getting an engine swap, figured might as well. I'll be selling the stock 2.7l out of the blue Boxster. I'll do a compression and leak down test, and do an oil analysis.

Sell off as many parts I don't need. Would be kinda nice if I can retain enough to still eventually make some sort of "cart" out of the blue shell.

At least that's the plan tonight...

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
5/9/23 9:10 a.m.

You are going to be competing with Jon for the most boxters

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/23 10:05 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

You are going to be Daniel-san fighting Mr Miyagi

fixed

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
5/10/23 6:51 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

You are going to be competing with Jon for the most boxters

Only two for now. Next Porsche will probably be a Cayman. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
6/10/23 3:05 p.m.

So I can see the potential in a cart now that I'm pulling the blue one apart in preparation. Depending on what parts sell I may keep this one rolling and slowly build it up. 

I was thinking once I pull the engine, then I could start mocking up the V8 in there and hopefully have the mechanical mounting sorted by the time the shell arrives. But then realizing I have 45 days left and have to part it out, along with a Touareg, and a Jet Ski I'm not so confident. And then sell a bunch of those parts too. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
6/10/23 3:05 p.m.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
6/11/23 6:52 p.m.

A kart would be cool...

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qi5eypExWOECuKBQoOju1MMD120n1IrHEHm6yvTxHgaZfetbBVg2knlppVo4acsZ