4/15/20 10:44 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to gearheadE30 :

i love what you did with the CX500!

you can say that again

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
4/15/20 10:57 a.m.

The brakes/suspension etc are worth swapping in.  Get the Texas performance master cylinder adapter, run the 951 master cylinder and the Ford Mustang hydroboost.

I really want the new AJP PR7 moto!  I miss my KTM's but I still have no free time to ride.  I think a friend is going to buy a PR7 and build it up.  By the time I've got time to ride he'll be finished with it and bored and I'll be able to get it from him, lol!

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
4/15/20 12:33 p.m.

Glad you guys like the CX! Here's some video riding off road with a voiceover of the ride, a bit about the bike, etc. Still trying to decide if the voiceover videos are a good idea, but been doing more of them since my family is scattered around the country and they like seeing what I'm up to. Not sure how to make the preview smaller...

@docwyte thanks for the info - I have the MC and most of a hydroboost. The biggest problem I have right now is that the early LS1s like this one use different valve covers, which are taller than the later LS engines and really cut into the space for brake parts. I also have a BMW hydroboost setup, and it looks like it might actually fit a bit better. I'll be doing more trial and error there before this is all done. Not sure if it will mean modified valve covers or something as well, but it will all fit somehow.

The AJP PR7 is a pretty interesting bike! There was a guy at one of the rally/roadbook schools I went to who brought one, so I've got a little firsthand experience. Definitely a good base to build from and I'm a bit surprised they haven't become more popular, especially with the dual sport and non-competition off road crowd. The one issue that bike had in a competition environment was a failed linkage, which was....exciting, to say the least. Apparently AJP actually sells a billet replacement linkage, and I'd definitely recommend your buddy buy it if he ends up with the bike.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
4/15/20 3:46 p.m.

I think AJP put the billet linkages on the 2020 bikes.  My friend builds his bikes really well but I'll mention it to him.  I'm looking forward to him getting it, that way I can check one out in person and give it a rip down the street at least.  The stats on it are great 60hp, 360lbs wet.  I've always wanted a modern replacement for my old KTM 640adv and this looks like it could be it.

If you have the BMW hydroboost you don't need the Texas Performance adapter for the 951 MC.  The BMW system is an ATE system so the 951 MC will bolt right on.

I can't remember what they were from but I got longer spark plug wires and coil pack relocation brackets for my LSx swapped 951.  I'm sure I have it documented in my build thread on Rennlist/944 Hybrids tho.  That may give you the space you need?

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/4/20 3:49 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

The AJP does sound like it would be a good replacement for a 640 adv, and it probably vibrates a lot less, too!

The problem with the perimeter bolt LS heads is the casting at that rear corner is pretty tall, and then there is a crankcase breather on top of that. Hopefully I'll remember to snag a picture next time I'm looking at it.

Slightly related, slightly unrelated project update: the 951 parts car is no more! It's completely apart and in the process of being sold off, which means for the first time in a loooong time, I am down to 5 cars and I have a spot in the garage that I can move cars in and out of. Progress! Parting this thing out also convinced me that I never want to own a 944 turbo with the factory engine in it. What a pain to work on. The E30s are a downright pleasure in comparison.

It's much easier to get the transmission out when the spare tire well isn't there. It had been pushed in far enough that it basically made a negative out of the sheet metal, but didn't hit hard enough to break anything.

Skinned the quarter and trimmed some more:

Topless!

Having problems uploading the rest of the pictures... probably have to update something. Technology.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/5/20 7:10 a.m.

Clumsily dropping the rear subframe by my self. It's pretty cool how it all comes out as one piece, though. The driver's side mount was corroded place, but I was able to cut the mount out of the body without too much trouble. I recently came into a local late-ffselt rear suspension assembly from an '87 turbo so this early offset one will be going up for sale.

Then off with the rear seats and the thickest part of the frame at the base of the B pillars.

And then split the floor pan. No picture of cutting across the base of the cowl. My deck is now covered in 944 sheet metal until the scrap yards open up again....which hopefully will be soon.

Also fun fact, the body harness weighs at least 30 lbs. Even on a "simple" older car, there are tons of wires.

Now it's off to Ebay to sell some more stuff to clean the garage out. A few more projects in line before I come back to this one. I really should have done a catch-all build thread as some of you have done with as much as I end up bouncing between projects.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/20 9:37 a.m.

Would you be interested in selling the front early offset turbo bits?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/5/20 11:27 a.m.

Oh wow. 

How much you want for that early offset stuff? 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/6/20 7:42 a.m.

I still have to go through the parts I have again and make sure that I have what I need for the red car, but yes, I'll be selling off the early offset parts I don't need. I'll PM you guys directly in the next day or two once I've got that figured out. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/6/20 9:12 a.m.

In reply to gearheadE30 :

Thank you.

Stefan might've been asking on my behalf lol

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/10/20 2:59 p.m.

Messages sent! Sorry that took so long, been working on prepping one of the other projects for an event:

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7xpgk0EmKidBrfbcoAPsAkrag7h08Y0N9yE7m74I0KGuuO2LVQb18AcTdfSb04Y7