1 ... 9 10 11
wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy UltraDork
2/19/20 1:51 p.m.

In reply to superchief :

Fantastically generous offer, but I'm on the last little bit, and the texture is one my Special Lady Friend and I can agree on, if you get my drift, and as such, don't think I'll have a use for the texture gun.

Hey, Alcoa, over by the airport. We are indeed close.

superchief
superchief New Reader
2/19/20 4:52 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :  Knowing you were so close I thought I would offer.  I am very close to TYS, I live off of West Hunt Rd. approx. 1.5 miles from the terminal.  We are not in the commercial flight path but I have a fantastic view when the Blue Angels come to town.  I am of an age that I'm thinking about where my tools are going to end up.  Neither of my sons are handy or nearby.  I bought the hopper gun when I had to repair popcorn ceilings after completely replacing the supply DWV plumbing  in a 30 + YO quad level house.  It is a lot of fun when you're running 2" PVC drains across floor joists.  I'm sure I couldn't handle a full hopper today as it was hard enough 15 years ago.  My wife and I really like the knock down plaster treatment of walls so I ended up doing in about half the house.

Superchief

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy UltraDork
2/19/20 7:17 p.m.

In reply to superchief :

My girlfriend is almost pathologically against popcorn ceilings, and after the nastiness that was cigarette smoke embedded in the ceilings of this house, I'm not so far behind.

I suspect I'll be in the same boat as you when I'm no longer able to use my tools. No kids, nieces and nephews have no interest. They can always go to Habitat for Humanity, and make someone's day. Again, I sincerely appreciate your kind offer. It's always a pleasure to make a nice acquaintance.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 New Reader
2/19/20 10:14 p.m.

This is an impressive job!  It reminds me of our home when we bought it 14 years ago.  It had been smoked in for over 40 years by the original owners and we had to tear out all carpets, Kilz, and air the place out to make it livable.

My efforts were nowhere near as great as yours, but reading all of this tonight has reminded me of the feeling of accomplishment at the completion of each step along the way.

You're almost there!  Top work!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy UltraDork
3/8/20 12:53 p.m.

Things have slowed on the house, but I'm still adhering to the something every day rule. Lots of days, I might roll a single coat of paint on some trim, or wire a light, but make sure forward progress is achieved.

The master is done, save closet doors, and moving in.

I have to build a bed frame before we move in, and it just sort of sits vacant at the moment.

I've been working on the entry

which looked like this recently,

as well as the hallway.

And finally, we've put cardboard down, and moved into the living room. More ceilings to come.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy UltraDork
3/26/20 10:57 a.m.

I haven't been posting much, because I'm pretty stoked on the challenge build, and after a year and a half of working on this house every day, I'm burned out. Still, something every day. One day, it was screw in a door stop, another, a single coat of paint on some trim. Today, I went after this:

First, up in the attic to install some bracing.

Then back down to screw this crap drywall into said bracing. 

It's not much, but it is progress.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UltraDork
4/14/20 5:28 p.m.

My Special Lady Friend has taken over ceiling refinishing, and the lion's share of the living room is done, which meant I could hang some trim, and the ceiling fans I painted a while back.

This is what they looked like before. They are nice Hampton Bay fans, so paint and new globes=good to go.

Of course, some patches I made around the window a year or so are cracking again, so I had to redo some stuff. As my dry walling skills have improved, my pickiness has grown. It's like the two expanded to fill the hole left in my soul by dry walling. Not too much more of this to go.

I had to take a big step back from the house, because as everyone knows, drywall assassinates your soul, but I force myself to do something once a month no matter how much it sucks. Like taping.

Pretty close to a place where we could have furniture in the living room.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
5/29/20 12:31 p.m.

Been following along and I can relate. I was reminded how much I hate drywall/ceiling work this past month getting our house ready to sell. To say it's the worst would be an understatement in my mind. 

I didn't read my previous post before that last one. Ok it sucks, but that's the end of drywall vs soul posts.

Here's a minor rant:

I put the drywall up in the hallway, finished it, and painted all of it before I realised the #@%&# electricians didn't center the box in the hallway. 

No way I'm changing it now.

1 ... 9 10 11
Our Preferred Partners
ABlICBIcwhIJ59veBCmcBS4MgzBxU9voqTsPY7EYWk7iZJQHgaMGBh5COm8pupX0