1 ... 8 9 10
MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
5/17/19 12:50 p.m.

In reply to blue91lx :

S50/2 swap is high on the priority list for my 525iT. Once, my M5 is solid I'll be looking to pick one up. It does seem like just the right amount of power for this chassis and if it's not I can always go the FI route. Seems like you might have some connections when it comes to sourcing some parts. Mind if I PM you when the time comes?

blue91lx
blue91lx New Reader
5/18/19 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

I’ll try to stick around and continue to update my progress on this beast! 

blue91lx
blue91lx New Reader
5/18/19 10:50 a.m.

In reply to MTechnically :

I agree- S52 (OBD1 converted obviously) would be such a great motor in a 525iT. I feel the M60 really fits the character of the E34 touring. It has always been a dream to build an M60b44 hybrid (m62b44tu bottom end with m60 sensors/harness and timing components) and drop it in a touring that already had an m60 from the factory. Would be a drop in, just like M50 to S50. 

Absolutely- happy to help! 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/22/19 7:02 a.m.

In reply to blue91lx :

After stringing me along for three weeks, the guy (that was supposed to come get the E32 740iL) totally flaked out on me.  Sooooooo.... that means the engine / front drive/ timing components /sensors from the M60 are still present and available if you want to build that swap.  Better hurry though, Indy-wife is getting tired of looking at it in the driveway.

Also, what was your recommended source for aftermarket touch-up paint?  And what was the D/A buffer you recommended? (pneumatic or electric?)

Thanks.  You've got my number, shoot me a text if you'd like any thing else from the E32 before it gets crushed.

blue91lx
blue91lx New Reader
5/22/19 7:17 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to blue91lx :

After stringing me along for three weeks, the guy (that was supposed to come get the E32 740iL) totally flaked out on me.  Sooooooo.... that means the engine / front drive/ timing components /sensors from the M60 are still present and available if you want to build that swap.  Better hurry though, Indy-wife is getting tired of looking at it in the driveway.

Also, what was your recommended source for aftermarket touch-up paint?  And what was the D/A buffer you recommended? (pneumatic or electric?)

Thanks.  You've got my number, shoot me a text if you'd like any thing else from the E32 before it gets crushed.

Man that is frustrating.  I've noticed a heavy number of flaking buyers as of late. I've got a potential buyer coming up to look at my Subaru on Saturday so Einhorn may go into daily duty sooner than I thought. I thought it over and I don't think I need anything else from the E32.  The M60b40 swap is just a pipe dream in reality so I don't want to stress myself out by keeping those parts around.  Since it's an "L" nothing from the interior fits over which is a bummer.  However there are a bunch of E34s in Ohio LKQ yards and they're all 40% off this weekend so I'm hoping to pick up a bumper and possibly some interior pieces. 

The Harbor Freight 6" DA random orbital polisher is the bomb diggity for getting a quality, powerful polisher on a budget.  However, do not use the backing plate that comes with it (Lake Country is a suitable replacement) and don't use the Harbor Freight pads.  Americana Global, Lake Country, etc all make great foam cutting pads that are low risk, high reward.  You can help the polisher out too by pulling it all apart and putting high quality grease in the machine (also quiets it down) and pulling the back body apart and aligning the brushes.  Doing those two almost free things and it's a fantastic unit for the money. 

......uh they JUST discontinued it..... that reaaaaly sucks. I found out trying to post the link here. Hurry up and run to your local HF to see if they still have one on the shelf.  It's called: 6 in. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher and it's made by Chicago Electric.

The touchup paint company I've had great success with is Paint Scratch! 

Edit: I just found info on the polisher. They disco'd the Chicago Electric unit because they're re releasing it under their newer brand Bauer.  So it should be available soon, albeit with a slightly higher price tag I'm assuming.  But they did a 25% for Memorial Day that should bring it back down. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/19 9:02 p.m.

Saw this today at the BMWCCA Foundation in Greer SC:

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
5/22/19 9:18 p.m.

Are we doing E34 M5 Touring pictures now?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/19 9:21 p.m.

In reply to MTechnically :

Apparently so.

blue91lx
blue91lx New Reader
5/23/19 10:20 a.m.

I approve of all of this! 

I do, however, think the M60b40 would've been a better candidate than an S38 for the M5 Touring.   S38s are HEAVY (602lbs dressed) AND don't have the M60 torqessssssssss.  I digress.  It's BMW, they know best. 

blue91lx
blue91lx New Reader
5/31/19 4:50 p.m.

Did some interior cleaning today.  Pulled the seats to scrub and also to attempt fitting the nicer seats from the iL.  Unfortunately the harnesses are not compatible and I do not feel like re pinning the connector to get it to work so I just put the original ones back in.  Interior is looking way better than it was, although still dirty.  For some reason every tan interior touring I've seen has stains EVERYWHERE. This one is no exception. 

I installed a new fan clutch and it still did not fix the issue with the car running a touch hot.  It never passes the third line on the temp gauge, and when the thermostat opens the temp falls back down to the middle line where it should be.  I'm wondering if the thermostat is the right temperature?  It never gets close to the red, and the temp operates steady and consistently as if a tstat is opening and closing.  I also am wondering if I actually got the air out of the system via bleeding. 

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/31/19 5:01 p.m.

Cars looking good. it definitely found the right owner.

Regarding the thermostat:I bought it from Rock Auto. It was a "Stant" brand. It came in a box that had a ton of dust on it. Do thermostat's good bad over time just sitting? I don't think so, but you never know. I thought they fail after numerous heat cycles.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/31/19 5:16 p.m.
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy said:

Well, finally was able to place the order for the cooling system refresh parts:

Can you believe the price of the thermostat?  Ouch.  I'm used to $6 Saturn parts.  This Unicorn is costly.

Bump for part number...

blue91lx
blue91lx New Reader
5/31/19 5:17 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Cars looking good. it definitely found the right owner.

Regarding the thermostat:I bought it from Rock Auto. It was a "Stant" brand. It came in a box that had a ton of dust on it. Do thermostat's good bad over time just sitting? I don't think so, but you never know. I thought they fail after numerous heat cycles.

If it was a Stant it's probably fine.  I went back in the thread and you configured it correctly AND drilled a hole in it.  M60s are "self bleeding" via a tube in the expansion valve so I'm going to investigate further in that regard. It's a possibility that line is clogged that allows the system to self bleed. It just seems so odd that the car didn't get hot until the cooling system was rebuilt, which is throwing a loop in my diagnosis.

blue91lx
blue91lx New Reader
5/31/19 5:42 p.m.

Also, the passenger side of the radiator and the lower rad hose are cool, while the drivers side of the radiator and upper rad hose are extremely hot. I tried manually bleeding the system to no avail. 

Perhaps the rad has a clogged core not allowing the coolant to completely circulate through the system? 

If it was just the thermostat the radiator wouldn't be half hot/half  cold to my knowledge. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/31/19 7:29 p.m.

Would almost have to be a clogged radiator. I've had similar symptoms in Dodges don't know enough about BMW to be sure

blue91lx
blue91lx New Reader
6/6/19 9:20 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Would almost have to be a clogged radiator. I've had similar symptoms in Dodges don't know enough about BMW to be sure

Yep it's definitely the rad!  

Also, a bittersweet update today.  I passed the car onto a local enthusiast named Corey who has the same stack of bmws that I do (fun coupe build and M3).  He's currently serving overseas and will be back in July to take over the car. 

I have lowering springs on the way as well as tires for the Mparallels so I'll be sure to post the car in her final form before handing over the baton!

The fun part:

He is planning a V12 swap for when he gets back. 

Why, you ask?  I couldn't sell my Subaru like I thought I'd be able to so I ended up having to keep it (wasn't worth selling and losing crazy $$ on it).  Thus, I had to let go of the wagon as it didn't serve a purpose in my stable since I am keeping wagon #1.  

With my stable spot now back open I'm also now able to bring my E30 M3 out to Indiana and finally get started on that thing.  I'll encourage the new owner to hop on here and post updates from time to time. 

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
6/6/19 9:38 a.m.

I'm assuming he's planning an M70 swap? Definitely a cool place to take the car and there is decent documentation out there to get it done. Also M70's can be picked up for very little these days. The M60B44 route is better if power and aftermarket support is what you're after, but you can't argue with a V12 wagon! 

Edit: Also I think this car is in need of a name change. It's starting to get passed around quite a bit...

blue91lx
blue91lx New Reader
6/6/19 10:11 a.m.
MTechnically said:

I'm assuming he's planning an M70 swap? Definitely a cool place to take the car and there is decent documentation out there to get it done. Also M70's can be picked up for very little these days. The M60B44 route is better if power and aftermarket support is what you're after, but you can't argue with a V12 wagon! 

Edit: Also I think this car is in need of a name change. It's starting to get passed around quite a bit...

Yeah I agree- he/she needs a new name! I'll leave that up to Corey.  And he's planning on N73.  Converting to port injection and controlling dual vanos with MS3 pro, and manually actuating valvetronic. Using an M62 trans.  N73 because M70 doesn't really make any more power than a well setup M60b44 like you stated! 

CoreyZ
CoreyZ New Reader
6/7/19 8:11 a.m.

Was ist los?

I am the soon to be proud new owner of the wagon!

I'm very grateful for all the work the previous owners have put into the thing. 

The N73 is going to be a science experiment if I can find one for the right price. There's a motor for sale near my house, I just need to see how cheap I can get it. Lots to figure out! It's actually an N62 trans from the e60+ 550i that appears to have the same bellhousing pattern. BMW tend to reuse mechanical interfaces, so hopefully the N73 isn't unique.

An M6X setup makes more sense, but I want a V12 for the noise. I already have an M60 setup going into one of my e30s to scratch the V8 itch. There's a company that makes a bellhousing adapter to run the V8's getrag 6 speed behind the M70 and M73, and I plan on sourcing parts for that setup first. I've got a large case LSD from an e31 I'd like to run, and that requires a manual M60 driveshaft anyway. 

I've always enjoyed reading GRM, so it's about time I got an account. Love all the knowledge on this board! 

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
6/7/19 9:10 a.m.

I'll be very interested to see how this phase of the cars life goes. I know I've seen M70 swaps but I can't recall an N73 being done in an E34 before. I totally understand the appeal of the V12, even if it's not the "logical" choice. 

blue91lx
blue91lx New Reader
6/15/19 7:15 p.m.

Das wagonbimmer now wears new shoes.  Most do a 235/40 which I think looks too small, so I went with a 245/40. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
8/22/19 9:33 a.m.

Bump.  Looking for an update.  How's the Einhorn doing?

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/8/23 11:35 a.m.
blue91lx said:

Das wagonbimmer now wears new shoes.  Most do a 235/40 which I think looks too small, so I went with a 245/40. 

I was thinking about this car again the other day.  Any updates on it?

1 ... 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dUhrxk5RZSzWHqSYkqnRDi7TPmeObgydE7GxwcfLY7wYyQ93BzLQQ9TJuF1JsPI7