1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36
Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
11/1/19 3:40 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to Robbie :

This is Travis’ thread. 

I’ll start a thread in the near future. wink

We expect that means in the next hour or two.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/19 5:25 p.m.

Datsaniti is now a 12 second car!

With a 100hp shot on drag radials, I kept putting down 13.1's just like I did all summer and at the Challenge. Turns out you can just spray right off the line to remedy the torque bog that always happens at launch due to the low stall oem torque converter. That means spraying at like 2000 rpm for a brief moment, conrods be damned. Changing nothing else, this brought my 60' down from my previous best 2.0 to 1.8! Good enough to squeeze my way into 12's.

"Wow that was a launch!"

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/19 5:41 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Awesome!!!

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
11/9/19 6:56 p.m.

Damn those conrods! Way to go!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/19 7:24 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/9/19 7:30 p.m.

Think it would be faster with a manual swap or can you even get a high stall converter for these?

maschinenbau
11/9/19 10:34 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

The easy button is get the engine and trans tuned by a shop

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
11/9/19 10:49 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

CONRODS ARE TEMPORARY. GLORY IS ETERNAL

maschinenbau
11/29/19 9:38 a.m.

El Camino was full of scrap metal, so I took the wagon.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/19 9:33 p.m.

This is on the Datsun Parts and Needs group on FB now. I would imagine he would take less since there can't be a huge market for these .

maschinenbau
12/6/19 5:07 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk :

Thanks for the tip! Good seller, so no more lens tape. This would be over budget, except I took the nitrous bottle out and put the passenger seat back in. 

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
12/6/19 8:20 p.m.

Is the Christmas tree budget neutral?

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/6/19 9:20 p.m.

Just realized that's the second type of Christmas tree this car has successfully dealt with. laugh

maschinenbau
12/27/19 10:04 a.m.

Added some public links to budget and receipts, for the curious. Also added to the first page of this build thread.

DATSANITI $2000 Budget

DATSANITI Receipts

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/30/19 12:34 p.m.

I'm just catching up on this, and wow! Congratulations!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/19 6:12 p.m.

Glad that worked out for you. Budget be damned, she needed taillights.

yes

maschinenbau
2/4/20 3:25 p.m.

I sacrificed the original driver's seat to add foam to the crappy flea market racing seat. This made the drive to Caffeine and Octane much more pleasant! I also added some side bolstering to help keep me planted while auto-crossing. I plan to race a full season of Solo this year pending weather.

maschinenbau
2/5/20 10:33 a.m.

Oh also, I now have a "rally-cross mode". By simply swapping in stock-length springs/struts, some awesome OEM Infiniti I30 BBS wheels, and used snow tires, I am almost ready to go rally-crossing for the first time. But Solo is first on the schedule, so I already swapped back to "auto-cross mode".

This conversion takes me 2 hours to complete. The Z33 is a really easy chassis to work on. I still need to trim away the front bumper (make it attachable) and build a skid-plate.

Has a bit of "Carolina Squat" but I'd rather have the extra clearance up front than hit my oil pan.

Gas tank also might need a skid plate. 

Anyway, this was pretty fun! And total cost to me was about $300, but this is technically still Challenge budget friendly. $120 for the wheels, $100 for the tires, $60 for mounting, and I already had the stock-length springs. I'm glad this car can introduce me to yet another form of motorsports.

TommyWants
TommyWants New Reader
2/5/20 10:48 a.m.

Wouldn't the rally setup be irrelevant to the budget if you return it to grm setup and don't use any of the rally stuff for the challenge? Or am I confused? Also, looks like about a second quicker than a stock g35 in the quarter? Nice!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/5/20 11:03 a.m.

"It's the go-anywhere, do-anything car of your dreams! DATSANITI!!!!!!!!!! Call 1-900-GRM-2000 to order yours today"

maschinenbau
2/5/20 11:50 a.m.

In reply to TommyWants :

Yes it's totally irrelevant, it's just fun for me to continue tracking expenses and keep this as cheap as possible. 

maschinenbau
2/22/20 6:24 p.m.

First autocross tomorrow! I decided to race in Xtreme Street (XS-B) this year because Hoosiers are expensive and I'm too lazy to swap tires every race. I'm selling the A7's and buying some new Rivals. Tomorrow I'll just race on my old E36 M3ty Rivals because I'm here to party. My region does an autocross "season pass", so I bought that to motivate myself to race regularly this year.

XS is the hot new SCCA class I plan to run. It has slightly better PAX than E-Mod and is pretty wide-open like CAM, but does have some "street car" requirements such as: tagged and insured, 200TW tires, "finished" interior with door panels forward of B-pillar, two front seats, dashboard, wipers, etc. I'm missing some of that so today I legalized Datsaniti for XS-B. Minimum weight is 2150 for RWD, though I'm sure I'm closer to 2500. XS-A min weight is 2750 which is a lot of ballast to add and I'd be underpowered.

This Datsun was a donor car, so I never had the door cards in the first place. I think this meets the letter of the law but perhaps not the intent.

Had to notch the handle for the roll bar using a hacksaw

I did have the wipers, but I removed them before the Challenge because 10 lbs = 10 lbs. The wiring is all hacked up but luckily I still had the nitrous solenoid circuit dead-headed under the hood after removing the kit, so I tapped into that to power the wiper motor. This is ironic because my nitrous system was triggered using the wiper stalk on the column. We have come full-circle.

Ready to take on some turbo Miatas!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/22/20 7:23 p.m.

Thanks for bringing this back up to the top. Today pimpm3 suggested I look at how you did you front suspension transplant. I'll start your thread at the beginning for like the forth time. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/22/20 7:58 p.m.

The door cards and notched handle made me laugh. Well done sir.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/22/20 8:50 p.m.

Slap some vinyl on those door cards and they're just as good as any car manufacturer was making at the time!

1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xaPHihIfZzbj109dJ3pRjo2wltkKrhyXtH97PmLvj2BbMusfTeGXUygt4ThxS0f9