1 ... 32 33 34 35 36
spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/20 8:49 a.m.

You're going to need to add carpet from the b pillar forward. The rules state you can remove carpet behind the B pillar, but do not explicitly say you can ahead of it. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/23/20 10:36 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

I suggest a hideous 70s throw rug or shag carpet. laugh

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/20 2:05 p.m.

The thing is I've never had carpet or door panels or most of the interior since buying this car as a shell, so I have to make this up as I go. I like the tacky throw rug idea. I'm also thinking of wrapping the cardboard with some kind of awful 80s tartan print fabric.

As a race update I spanked the other XS-B cars by several seconds, all them boosted Miatas and narrowly lost to the XS-A cars. So I should probably get more legal soon. Oh and a heater...?

Edit: to answer your question, at least 1000 hours in this build. There is 100 alone just in bodywork and sanding.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/20 4:43 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

To be clear, I am not trying to be a buzzkill although i probably come off that way. I'm just making suggestions and stating observations cause I want you to be legal for the class. You and the car are a good fit for it and I think every tacky throw rug carpet and cereal box door panel idea is fun! 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/23/20 5:00 p.m.

Ikea has some cheap rugs. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/20 5:27 p.m.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/20 5:56 p.m.

I'm pretty sure I have this one wadded up in the garage if you want it. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/20 5:56 p.m.

maschinenbau
2/23/20 6:22 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

This is my favorite. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/20 7:30 p.m.
gumby said:

They make great seat covers for Kirkeys.  Adhesive doesn't stick to them the best as they seem to be a latex rubber backer.  The IKEA ones anyway.  I also flame tested them and they self extinguish.  Gas dissolves the backer though.   Like $15 from Ikea and each one is big enough to do a seat.  

Now If I can just make part of the next one out of Legos I successfully will have never grown up

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/20 9:53 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

I have one under my office chair and another couple in the garage to make floor mats for the jag. They were clearance at Ikea for like $5 each so I bought a few.

maschinenbau
2/24/20 8:02 p.m.
nocones said:
Gas dissolves the backer though.   

I can smell this sentence from here

maschinenbau
3/2/20 2:02 p.m.

Etsy has an...interesting...selection of fabric. This is one yard of cotton linen canvas, glued to cardboard with headliner glue. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/2/20 2:13 p.m.

Thats PERFECT 

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
3/2/20 2:15 p.m.

A+. Gold star. Excellent work.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/2/20 2:28 p.m.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/1/20 11:36 a.m.

Drove the Challenge car to work again. Sat for almost a month outside but fired right up this morning and rides nice!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/1/20 12:33 p.m.

I take it you know the guy with the Miata on some sticky tires too.  

6/14/20 4:12 p.m.

Autocross #2 finally happened today. Having fun with cars! Didn't win XSB this time though. I botched my final run with a big spin, and a very nice turbo NC showed up with a great driver. The OEM quality turbo kit on that Miata combined with racing green on brown leather...mmm. I'm not a huge Miata guy but this one really did something for me. Looking forward to a rematch. 

On the way home I got trapped by a surprise rainstorm. Really glad I had those wipers, but the lack of defrost and the worn 4 year old Rivals made for a white knuckle drive.

rustomatic
rustomatic New Reader
6/15/20 10:22 a.m.

How was the turnout at the autox?  I thought about going (I live in Woodstock), but with the burning Wendy's and whatnot, I figured I'd ride my mountain bike instead.  I should make the one in July . . .

There might be an interesting (rescheduled) event at AMP in July with (Optima) Ultimate Streetcar types.  It's expensive, but you can do autox for hours at one of their events.

6/15/20 10:38 a.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

They limited entrants to 100 + season pass holders, and it sold out. Lots of out-of-state plates too. ATL is doing fine, no need to worry. I drove past the burning Wendy's about 20 minutes after they cleared the freeway that night and it was smooth sailing. I didn't even know what happened til I got home. 

rustomatic
rustomatic New Reader
6/15/20 6:11 p.m.

Good to hear that--got some fomo now.  Dig the Datsun, by the way.  I too have a kind of body-swapped car thing.

7/19/20 5:54 p.m.

After another month of sitting in the driveway, Datsaniti fired up to life for autocross Round 3. Checked the tires, checked the oil, tossed the helmet and lunch in, and away we go racing! It's been a real scorcher in Atlanta, but even without AC, it's nice when the E36 M3box racecar can be relied on like this with minimal effort.

My green turbo NC nemesis didn't show today, but a rowdy turbo NB with two drivers gave me a run for my money. I won XSB by half a second, also beating most of XSA, including this pair of high-power 350Z's. They loved the VQ power of Datsaniti!

The whole time this engine has been in the Datsun, cooling has never been a problem. The temp is always reliably pegged to the halfway mark, about 6 out of 12 dash marks on the gauge, whatever temp that is. Even if I forget to turn on the fans, the coolant gauge is always steady. Today with the high 90s sunny weather, the temps crept a couple dash marks past the usual spot after my last few runs. After idling with the hood open between runs, they settled back down. Driver was hot too. Not much else to report, other than the front needs more camber somehow.

On my 3rd run I took a big drifty spin, just after punting a few cones dead on. I didn't notice the giant crack in my coroplast air dam til I got home. Oops! Fun day, even despite the awful heat.

8/9/20 5:39 p.m.

Autocross #4 and #5 are in the books now. At #4 I got beat by yet another different turbo Miata. At #5 today competition was light, just a singular turbo Miata that I always seem to beat. Very hot again, but no overheating either time. Both courses were also a lot shorter.

Between these two events I addressed a little issue this car has always had - lack of fuel tank venting. Now, it's always had a vented gas cap, but that only works to suck air in, not out. On these hot scorcher days, the fuel tank gets hot and gains significant positive pressure. Like, a lot of pressure. Enough to cause audible popping-out of the sheetmetal tank walls. That...simply cannot be good. So between autocross runs, I've made a habit of carefully opening the gas cap to relieve the pressure. So I put a tee in the line from fuel filler neck to tank top, and ran an open-ended hose from that tee up the D-pillar behind some trim. That solved the pressurizing issue, but now I smell gas. In a hot car. Without A/C. The fumes are pretty bad. I'm looking at inline roll-over valves and possibly running a charcoal canister off of that. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/9/20 7:36 p.m.

I'm glad you're getting to enjoy the car without it being too needy. Looks like a good time. 

1 ... 32 33 34 35 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OmPZ9oE1akFOt38GUoJENEYoeoca3iJmKLDyep20QTeyjoUHJONt75650VyyYSyz