1 ... 33 34 35 36
gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/9/20 7:51 p.m.

Is there a convenient location to get that hose outside the cabin? A charcoal canister will help, but even that should be outside the cabin as well.
I would look for a place to poke an unseen hole(behind trim?), put a couple coils in the hose so you are not dumping raw fuel slosh, and stick the open end outside the body behind the bumper or someplace.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/9/20 8:03 p.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

Good idea. There's an outer trim piece on the D pillar I can hide a hole under, possibly with some brake tubing all the way to the tee. I will still probably use an online rollover valve as well. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
8/10/20 10:03 a.m.

Try hard to do an OEM style vent system with a charcoal canister. There is an important secondary benefit in preventing moisture ingress to the tank. I never worried about that before alcoholic fuel, now it is important.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/10/20 12:45 p.m.

Just got through reading the whole build thread.  Amazing work.  Makes me feel a little more encouraged about tackling rust on the Mustang

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/10/20 12:53 p.m.

I don't know how it'd stop moisture, if at all, but back in the day when I would yank all the emissions stuff off of every car I had (why do kids think they know everything?!) I always used one of those small plastic inline carb fuel filters. You can get them for pennies and they come in 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 for whatever line. Could be an option until you go full blown charcoal solution.

rustomatic
rustomatic New Reader
8/11/20 10:34 a.m.

The only thing that worked for me (without any kind of vacuum pulling vapors into the engine) was sticking a -8 rollover valve in the top of the tank.  

9/22/20 1:11 p.m.

As a small update I plumbed in an in-line roll-over valve into a U-shaped piece of hose, which turns down to below the floor. It worked great! No gas tank pressure and no smells in the cabin (beyond the normal E36 M3box ones). Cleaned up XS-B again at Solo #7. Only 3 more events left this year.

I'm thinking about rally-cross again... the venue is 100 miles away, which is pretty awful in this car, and a long way from home if something breaks. On the other hand, no amount of bottoming out, drifting, and hard cornering seems to make this car flinch. I would need to build a cage around the gas tank because it hangs low in the back, tuck the exhaust closer to the floor, and make the air dam removable at a bare minimum. They might also move the venue to within 30 minutes away later this year, and I want to be ready for that. 

11/8/20 4:50 p.m.

Today was my last autocross of the year, since I won't be able to attend my region's last event. Datsaniti did great, as always.

I'm exploring how to part ways with this car. I don't use or enjoy it enough anymore. It was a purpose built car and that purpose was fulfilled. I'm also not sure how I feel about letting such a highly modified crapcan racecar out into the world. I would hate to see someone wreck it. Not for the loss of my handiwork, but if someone got hurt in something I built...I don't know, it's a weird thought. I don't want to put in effort to part it out either. I'm interested in hearing yalls thoughts.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
11/8/20 5:20 p.m.

Sell it cheap to GRM to display at the World Headquarters as a testament of what can be done on a challenge budget.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/8/20 5:28 p.m.

Don't part it out.    It's a car that just needs the right kind of buyer.    Sell it to a member here.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/8/20 5:33 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Bring it to next Challenge, have a parking lot tear down.  Everyone gets to take something home.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/8/20 5:33 p.m.

It would be interesting to see what it could do at another challenge under someone else's care. Maybe with $100 in budget to fiddle with... idk. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/8/20 7:21 p.m.

Sell it to another Challenge contestant  with a little bit of wiggle room in the budget. Even if that just means trades or recoup. 

That's what I have done with past successful Challenge cars in the hopes they would return. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/8/20 7:34 p.m.

if it doesnt bring joy or serve an actual need, it doesnt get driveway space. 

time to dump it to one of us. thats what i did with the AMC. giant weight lifted, and i honestly didnt care what happend to it. 

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/8/20 7:53 p.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:
..if someone got hurt in something I built...I don't know, it's a weird thought.

From a chassis builder who does it for a living; don't think about it. Big crashes turn my stomach, and I rarely watch replays more than once, even with cars I didn't build. Adults must be left to make their own risk analysis and decisions, it is what it is.

As far as what to do with Datsaniti, Michael covered it well. If you can let it go at a Challenge eligible price point, list it here and move on.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/20 7:59 p.m.

The other option would be to talk to the LeMons guys and get it allowed in (which it should be it's just a old G35 wink wink).  That way you know the work to get it though tech will "fix" anything you may think is wrong with it.  

I've always been concerned about technical legal liability if I were to build/make/sell something heavily fabricated.  I've thought a few times about selling the MG but that has stopped me.  I'm basically convinced parting it out is the only way to not be liable and that kills any thoughts I have had historically of moving it.  

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/20 8:25 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

So...if you "parted it out" vs. "disassembling it & scattering parts around your garage before deciding to sell the mess 10-years later", I don't think there's much of a difference in liability.

More specifically - if you sell someone a disassembled pile of parts that can generally be reassembled into a functional vehicle, it seems like most of the liability is transferred to the buyer. If they didn't pay attention during the assembly process after purchase, or didn't take time to double-check everything, shame on them. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/9/20 11:26 a.m.

Trying to convince myself not to offer and buy it. I like old wagons for some reason. 

I sent my Q"Ute"45 to the scrap yard because I didn't think it deserved a better life. I sold some of my other challenge cars cheap because of the questionable nature of their modifications. My first 3 I parted out because they were worth more in pieces. 

11/13/20 8:52 a.m.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I am leaning towards selling it as a drift/track car at a dumb high price, and also listing it here on GRM for $2000. I might also look into BaT and Cars and Bids. I doubt either one would list it though.

In the meantime, here are some more action shots

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/20 9:00 a.m.

BaT wont, Cars and bids might.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
11/13/20 1:15 p.m.

With it's winning pedigree? I'm sure Cars and Bids will list it as long as you provide the right pictures!

I vote sell it for all you can get out of it. The spirit of the $2000 Challenge isn't hurt by selling a car you obviously invested a great deal of labor into. Your total spend on a Challenge car is under ~$20xx dollars, but the investment and value earned is far, far greater. Selling it should earn you some of that labor and planning back, with the only exception being if you want to see the car continue to compete at the Challenge. 

11/15/20 9:24 a.m.

Cars and Bids rejected due to 1981 being their cut off. I listed it on FB for what I thought was too much and the response has been very positive! 

11/15/20 11:45 a.m.

Well that was quick! Just sold it to the perfect new owner for a very fair price. He has intentions (and the ability) to upgrade it so he can run at Pike's Peak, so hopefully this isn't the last we see of Datsaniti. I feel very good about this. What an amazing journey. Gonna go happy-cry for a bit now.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/15/20 11:48 a.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

...so he can run at Pike's Peak...

That's the most awesome thing I've seen all day!  I'm glad you found a good home for it.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/15/20 11:48 a.m.

Congrats!  That's exciting!

1 ... 33 34 35 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A8B94vSVyMCg9lYiNpOJGjhKHQWgawLp1AGftc82nET8ojclitM9KzpykJNdwHeY