1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 63
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/19/21 7:18 p.m.

Looking forward to getting my butt handed to me.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/21 9:58 a.m.

We're a few hours from Gainesville.

Didn't get to post much yet, but we did take a couple beauty shots before applying challenge stickers.

Ian's LS1/t56 swapped 240sx included for real hotness.

Current count is 627 hours. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/21 11:19 a.m.

i've seen ian's car in person.  it is the bullet train to boner town.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/21/21 12:06 p.m.

Man this thing is cool. Good luck!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/21/21 1:22 p.m.

re-mounting the door handle was a nice touch

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/21/21 4:58 p.m.

Hey Robbie, Nice meeting you and thanks for the wheels. Just gave them a quick wash and they look great. I wish I was down there, looks like a good year. Have a blast.

The R888Rs will be almost an inch narrower.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
10/22/21 10:46 a.m.

So... does it fly in formation?

And more importantly, are your shorts full of gravel?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/22/21 4:33 p.m.

Inquiring minds wanna know, did the new pucks cure or simply improve the pogo? Autox time looks solid.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/23/21 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I expect it'll probably be until Monday that we get a report... I reckon it's been a bit "full on" since thursday night

Saturday Night Edit:
looking at this year's results and last year's results... the Datsun went from ~3.7sec off FTD to ~1.2sec off FTD in the AutoX; and improved from a 13.608s to 13.446s quarter; mean they went from a 92% dynamic to a 98% dynamic score.  So, some benefit, probably mostly from the new pucks and lighter weight?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/23/21 10:21 p.m.

Yeah, I'll try to type up more over the next two days. But we got 2nd overall!!

I also suspect much of the improvement was softer front pucks and lower weight. 

Still bounced in autox but it was distinctly different. You still felt like you were driving through bounces instead of fully flying last year.

We tried nitrous in the drags but our mix wasn't right (way rich) and the car actually got slower on the button - while apparently making great exhaust fireworks. The car was faster but I struggled with traction on the line. We didn't have a 60ft better than 2.0 this year and I think we had a 1.7 last year. So there should be a bit more in the car with a good hook.

Very happy to have scored a podium spot, and happy to see a high level of competition at the challenge this year (always great to see old friends too). BDT really did bring it!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/23/21 10:37 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

BDT really did bring it!

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/23/21 11:35 p.m.

my three favorite cars there for sure. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/24/21 10:18 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

BDT really did bring it!

I must get my Corolla done for next year and join "Constructors' Row".

Mr_Asa
10/25/21 4:53 p.m.

Sent a couple pics to some friends about what I did this weekend

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/29/21 6:56 p.m.

Hey Robbie, you running the 19.5in diameter tires or the 18in? FYI Hoosier has discontinued the 19.5in tires, so you might want to start looking at what adjustments are necessary to change, if needed.

I'm looking at possibly having to dig into my rear suspension to adjust on my F500.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/29/21 10:04 p.m.

Well I guess I better type up my challenge thoughts before I forget too much.

First of all I guess I'd like to talk about how much a car like this is pure emotion. When you're driving it it's only adrenaline. Seriously you are shaking for minutes after you get out. Most of the competition is pure nerves for me. Like I didn't even want to eat lunch after Alan scored the noonish ftd in autox in fdat and I knew that fast cars were yet to run. Of course, there's the comraderie and friendship that goes into the challenge. People I only see once a year or less but who I count as close friends.

Then, I had my team. Having Ian and Evan on your side is incredible. They help shoulder the burden of the hard decisions that always come up during a competition. Like our rear axle, which by the way probably just can't swing the full fury of the 600cc Honda. It never actually failed, but it has a darn short life before the slop is "uncomfortable". They also help shoulder the emotions. The nerves, the lows, the highs. The podium. 

The funny thing is as the car gets more "done" I start to feel more regretful of what is left "undone". I think it's a learning process like anything else, but as you get better you also are better able to see your mistakes. I'm also in a funny spot as to how I feel about this car's future. I want to keep developing it, as I can see the areas it is still so raw and I see how much it can improve with refinement. But I also feel ready to move to the next project. If nothing else, I certainly understand how someone can roll a really good car to the back of the barn, effectively forget about it, and then dig it out a few years later to set new goals.

I never imagined this would go this far or come out as well as it did when I started nearly 2 years ago. I also can't believe it has only been 2 years. What a wild ride!

New goals? I'll have to sleep on it. But some things running through my mind:

1. Real suspension?

2. IRS?

3. Full crosscart?

4. Push it to the corner for a while and let my future inspiration guide me?

5. Find a way to drive it more often?

6. Find a way to let others enjoy driving it too?

7. E85?

I think the short version is I'm proud, tired, thankful, full of ideas, and out of energy - all at the same time. 

This photo is for Warren. 

Mr_Asa
10/29/21 10:39 p.m.

It's been a great time shouldering that burden with you, my friend!

BTW - Have I mentioned that somewhere in my morass of a garage I have four of these?  No clue what cost would end up being.  I got them for free from my FSAE team, we used them on Baja and when I got them we hadn't run Baja in ~8 years.  They're discontinued and you can't get replacement parts as far as I know.  175lbs/in springs, xr/cfr50 shock

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/31/21 12:44 p.m.

Mostly tucked away for the time being. 

Apex, yes I do use the 19.5s so that sucks! Guess the ride height will be .5-.75 inches less now.

Asa, hmmm. I have 2 cbr600rr rear coilovers already that are in budget. And another I bought for $19ish. A fourth is cheap cheap on eBay too. But yeah, I probably need to figure out real suspension.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/31/21 3:38 p.m.

This photo is for Warren. 

Great ! Now you can get it registered and plated !

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/31/21 8:21 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Hahaha. I actually cut through the Datsun tag totally on accident (I was cutting from below). But it worked out. 

You inspired me to rivet it back to the car.

Mr_Asa
11/4/21 6:36 p.m.

I'm digging through this thread to try and find it, but does anyone have a link or way to email the 3D model for the roadster to me?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/4/21 7:31 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/e9f6e226b78b0e4c49512c97dabc3bbd/1967-Fairlady-2000-SR311

This is the one I used.  

Mr_Asa
11/4/21 7:56 p.m.

Awesome, I'll poke at it in a second.  Thanks.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/4/22 11:59 a.m.

Why am I tearing apart a transmission that doesn't even go to this car?

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/22 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Here there be dragons

1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 63

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yIrSFbgMiVKDxpU9B8cir6jSI49ASFNkPUHzo22ZMTDuwWrr5g6ZYf3ri6Qu2RpZ