1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 63
Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/4/22 12:44 p.m.

Something something reverse box something something?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/4/22 2:17 p.m.

I know why it is happening, and I fully approve, however I don't know the full plan of how and would like to be in on it.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/4/22 2:23 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I don't know the full plan of how

That makes 2 of us!   

Oh crap..  I'm supposed to be the expert here.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/4/22 2:28 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Oh good.  I'm at the same level as everyone else involved.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/4/22 2:30 p.m.

this involves making it a "mild hybrid" using electric assist from a HammerStore drill, right?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/22 2:33 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I don't know the full plan of how and would like to be in on it.

me too! 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/4/22 2:40 p.m.

rough plan is to salvage the helical LSD that should be hiding inside this trans. (trans is from a cobalt SS). 

Then, simply cut off the rear half of the car, fab up new rear end, weld back on, and bolt my existing sprocket to the diff. Do something for axles, rear hubs, springs, consider adding some sort of braking capabilities to the unit. Maybe consider a way to keep some sort of lube inside the diff. I do have a line on some free saturn ion redline axles and bolt-in wheel bearings so I will be doing my best to use those. 

And then repeat at the front end of the car. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/4/22 2:42 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

this involves making it a "mild hybrid" using electric assist from a HammerStore drill, right?

how many alternators does it take to get to 100 hp?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/4/22 2:43 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

Something something reverse box something something?

that would be smart. So I'm certainly not doing that. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/4/22 4:24 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Hey, that trans looks familiar, glad to see it put to use!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/5/22 12:11 a.m.

Sweet! Progress! 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/5/22 9:55 p.m.

Almost there!

Ooooh quaife!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/5/22 11:10 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

how many alternators does it take to get to 100 hp?

quick google indicates 50-100 required... without attempting an over-volt; which I'm not sure is recommended/possible?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/22 8:27 a.m.

For others possibly serious about hybrid or mild hybrid, newer ram "etorque" setup is basically an oversized alternator that is also a 25ish hp hybrid motor driving its power assist through the belt drive...  Don't know junkyard pricing on those modules though, but you might find a pick and pull that accidentally prices one as an alternator.

It will be interesting to hear how much improvement you get from the diff. Making mid corner throttle application a bit dynamically smoother should pay off. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/6/22 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Yeah I like the idea of those "Reverse alternators". Might have to mess with one sometime. Especially since a car like this is light enough for it to make a big difference, and it should be relatively easy to add a belt drive directly into the diff (next to the chain or something).

I'm hoping the significant improvement in this next stage of work comes from suspension compliance and keeping the tires touching the ground after bumps. LSD is a small bonus. Currently the car is incredible on perfectly flat sections, but alas, perfectly flat isn't life.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/22 1:11 p.m.

Sweet! What was the rationale for the cobalt trans, just the cheapest helical LSD diff you could find?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/6/22 2:39 p.m.
Run_Away said:

Sweet! What was the rationale for the cobalt trans, just the cheapest helical LSD diff you could find?

Well, yes, it was the cheapest I could find. But it also has other significant benefits like: 

1. The cobalt uses a center shaft and 2 short CV axles (same part number for both sides). So without the center piece, it might be narrow enough for my application. I think it is actually the narrowest combination possible with stock parts (I checked Cobalt/ion, Nissan ser, Honda Civic SI, etc).
  2. The cobalt also uses bolt on front wheel bearings that I should be able to make work with my 5*114.3 wheels. Cobalt is 5*110 I think but I can likely redrill the hubs.
  3. A fwd diff is generally smaller and less massive than a rwd LSD.
  4. And it was cheap. Part out was advertised right here in parts for sale last summer, and I took delivery of the trans at the challenge. $20 for challenge car use! Hard to argue with that.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/8/22 10:17 a.m.

So remember i mentioned I had a line on some free axles and hubs?

Yesterday I went to pick them up. Only catch? I had to remove them from the vehicle myself. 

"Seller" was a true car guy. He has a cobalt SS, so when this ion redline came available to him after it was rolled, he jumped on it to grab a couple parts. He is parting out the rest, but other than a couple key parts he is asking for money for, the rest is 'if you want them it's free, as long as you remove'. Very cool. 

Here is the rolled redline, and here is the parts haul.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/22 12:18 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Well done, Sir!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/8/22 4:34 p.m.

Heck yeah! 

bumpsteer
bumpsteer New Reader
11/8/22 7:33 p.m.

I am very curious how a helical LSD would actually behave without the correct lube in it. The tapered rollers supporting the carrier might survive with a 3D printed TPU seal of some sort and some grease, but some sealed ball bearings can likely be found in a catalog somewhere that would be suitable considering the sprocket arrangement doesn't introduce any thrust loads. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/8/22 9:00 p.m.

In reply to bumpsteer :

That's basically the plan.  It will run with light lube in a simple can in pillow blocks.  It will be interesting to see how the Helical Gear diff works without an oil bath   The internet says the tappered bearings have an ID of 1.997 which is VERY close to 2".  Cheap 2" sealed pillow blocks are available that are rated for ~7000lbs of load (EACH) at 3500rpm.  Bearing retainer or a 2.125" ID bearing with machined sleeve should work.    Based on Tire Diamter and expected performance envelop the diff will be below that RPM, and 520-530 chain is typically rated to around 8000lbs.  So it seems for this use case the chain is likely to be the limiting factor.   Assuming the car hooks it would need to put ~6000ft-lbs of torque to the ground to break a chain or damage a bearing.  

That's the Theory anyway.  

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/8/22 9:41 p.m.

I might need a diagram to visualize what's going on here, but it sounds really exciting.

Kubotai
Kubotai New Reader
11/9/22 8:10 a.m.
nocones said:

That's the Theory anyway.  

So, here's my experience with chains.  I have had several bike engined cars and used good (DID or RK) 530 x-ring chains.  On cars making 180 to 220 hp, I had no chain issues as long as I kept the diff / rear sprocket aligned and kept it from moving around under load.  This was launching on 10" slicks for autocross  / hillclimb.  On the other hand, I had a car making only about 140 hp that would wear chains a lot (had to re-tension the chain after three autocross runs) because the diff carrier would twist just a little under load.  That let the sprockets get out of alignment just a little and that was all it took.  I don't have any experience with the 520 chains.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/10/22 1:08 p.m.

After removing the cobalt center section, the "hub to hub" distance is about 46 inches, which is a really good width for the car.

Also, here's a closeup of the diff, hoping it's not too hard to "seal" these holes up so grease stays inside.

Not sure if I will use the knuckles or make my own yet.

1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 63

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xZQQwjlsTubFx3D3kYNAeMbkkRPkV0PjopHpq45zGQeddCSO2I0WV4sHdrzdpXIu