RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
8/16/21 10:44 p.m.

A neighbor passed away recently.
Genuine car-nut, had around fifty, a few are even finished. Teens to early seventies hot rods.
May post a list for sale once the funeral is over and the widow has it ready.
One I tried to buy a few times but he would not sell is a small Devin body on a cut down Sprite chassis.
I may get the opportunity to take a mold from it, probably at the cost of perfecting the originals bodywork.
Had one just like it but much more complete back in the 80's and kick myself for trading it away. Actually tried to track it down and get it back several years ago but the search dead-ended.

If I do end up with molds would it make sense to make more than one or two bodies for my own use?

Thinking a modern version would be Geo 1.0 engine and Sammy box.
My own would still be BMC powered of course.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/16/21 11:06 p.m.

I'd think by now it would be easier to build a tube frame to fit the body than to find decent spridgets as a base. They will all need everything anyway. Perhaps a locost  chassis? It would be really fun to build different bodies to fit a standard or 442. Think Indy roadster etc

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
8/17/21 12:12 a.m.

I have ready access to fifteen Spridgets, cheap.
Nothing bigger will fit this version body.
May not need the chassis, but the rear axle would be hard to substitute for width.

If its a Spridget axle then that limits power, why I thought of the GEO 1.0

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/17/21 5:23 a.m.

You can cut down other axles, it's been done a lot.

Got a picture?

Bike power is always fun.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/17/21 6:28 a.m.

As a hobby it would be fun and might not cost a lot in the end if you could make and sell a few to offset the effort and cost. As a $$$ maker, I think you would struggle to find the volume to make it profitable.

Very few people with a solid working Midget want to tear it down as a donor to a "Kit " car. Those that have a rusty car sitting around wont want to put the effort into repairing the rusty chassis for the same reason.

A better place to ask this question would be either on the MG Experience forum or some FB group dedicated to Midgets

https://topclassiccarsforsale.com/uploads/photoalbum/mgb-devin-vintage-kit-car-project-1.jpg

Any chance this is close to what you are looking at?

It might just be me, but I find composites  intimidating to work with.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
8/17/21 10:33 a.m.

I like the one above with real doors and a windshield,

I would think using as much of the MGs floors , rockers and front and rear firewalls would make a solid car

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
8/17/21 10:59 a.m.

There's a good website for the Devins  www.devinspecial.com

There are a couple of companies that produce new bodies.  One in LA that does a broad range of fiberglass bodies.  And, a guy in PA that purchased the intellectual rights, tooling and molds. 

Before settling on my Cheetah tribute I had a Devin SS body and tried making it work over a dedicated space frame.  It's a tiny car and it didn't end up working out for me.  

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/17/21 2:06 p.m.

I do like that one, especially if it uses the Spridget chassis, doors and windshield. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/21 2:24 p.m.

If I had a Spridget to cut up, I'd be building a Lotus 23 replica :)

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/17/21 2:27 p.m.

This thread made me say yes to an offer of a free midget.

Damn you all.

Where do i get yhe fiberglass parts? Ill buy you dinner.....

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
8/17/21 10:20 p.m.

Devin above is close but the one I'm looking at has it's original tiny Devin doors and sits lower.
I think it still has a Sprite floorpan and forward frame rails.
Unfortunate that it is not in as nice condition but I can fix that.
Front of body has been modified to one piece tilt.
Body support structure is bent pipe, yes pipe, not tube.
I would use tube. No real need to use the Spridget chassis if doing a space-frame unless needed to ease registration.
Early Spridget VIN is stamped into a tag held by two screws!

Jim was planning to cram some sort if Bike engine into it, an air-cooled six cylinder as I recall.
We discussed the issue of bike oiling vs automotive oiling and dry sump.

I'm keeping my eyes open for another Geo engine and already have three Sammy trans with leads on two more.
Not sure if a 1.3 would fit but I think it would.

Jims idea of an ideal build was two 454's in-line, a TH400, and a ladder frame under a 30's coupe.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WmvqmQclbT7aNCCL5V6T7aLgbC3TzKly8NpKqCzCfCY6Gm3NgR4L2frc0PSXHIjL