1 ... 5 6 7 8
russian
russian New Reader
12/18/18 9:11 p.m.
alfadriver said:

I *think* the second pulse is to run the ionization system.  

Nope, this signal originates in combustion detection module and goes into ECU, not to the coil. This is CDM telling ECU whatever it's telling ECU, and I wonder what is it telling ECU under which conditions so that I can use this signal in order to tune engine.

russian
russian New Reader
12/23/18 8:49 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaqVyCWncFc

Seem to match a picture from https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:158518/FULLTEXT01.pdf once you flip it - we might be able to have angle of peak cylinder pressure in the logs or on a gauge 

russian
russian New Reader
12/31/18 9:25 a.m.

Got it! it was a lot of fun but now I know how to have my Miata knocking while standing still! And ion sense hardware is definitely producing the signal!

https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi_documentation/tree/master/misc/Saab_Trionic_8_Combustion%20Detection%20Module_on_Mazda_Miata_running_rusEfi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6YsVTBH334

russian
russian New Reader
6/11/19 9:37 p.m.

Someone has just ordered first batch of new microRusEfi board. Need a picture with a banana for scale to highlight that this ECU would be about 3 by 3 inches :)

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
6/12/19 10:12 a.m.

More info please!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/12/19 6:19 p.m.

I missed the replies back at the end of the year- vacation and all.  

Since December, have you figured out what to do with the analog signal?   If there's *any* way you can use that signal to get an idea of percent burn, that can be very useful.  Just one output can be REALLY helpful- crank angle at 50%.  So when it's not knocking (and most modern engines are designed to always be on the hairy edge of knock, BTW)- the best CA50 is 7 deg ATDC.  

Which means that you can use your system to properly self tune the base spark calculation.  And if you went to E85, you could actually spark at the right spot.  Not guessing, but knowing.  

Pretty cool that you got that working.  Instead of being a Patreon, how does one buy a kit?  My needs are very simple...

russian
russian New Reader
6/18/19 9:17 p.m.

To be honest, I've totally switched focus from cool stuff like combustion detection and electronic throttle to boring stuff like usability, usability and usability :)

Please google "rusefi for sale" and you would probably find the answer to your kit question :)

Speaking of usability, I am trying to come up with a way to reflect the state and logic of the ECU in real time. Here's a prototype which shows pieces I am trying but those pieces would probably not make much sense. At the moment the huge obsticale is that we have too little documentation and no one, contributores incuded, remember all the feature and options :) So, I am trying to make software work and explain itself:

https://youtu.be/n_pqH-3P3Qc

russian
russian New Reader
8/24/19 10:54 p.m.
russian
russian New Reader
9/4/19 9:53 p.m.

and today it drove around the block! With electrnoc throttle! that's a big day :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vCeICQnbzI

russian
russian New Reader
10/7/19 6:24 p.m.

rusEfi is ready for simple v12

Azryael
Azryael New Reader
10/7/19 8:16 p.m.

This is looking pretty cool!

mke
mke HalfDork
10/8/19 11:19 a.m.

In reply to russian :

Can you get of pic of it sitting next to your miata was we can all imagine how awesome that combination would be?  :)

russian
russian New Reader
10/8/19 4:55 p.m.
mke said:

In reply to russian :

Can you get of pic of it sitting next to your miata was we can all imagine how awesome that combination would be?  :)

Actually it's currently parked between TWO miatas :) one NA6 SpecMiata, another NB2 automatic with tan leather... Quite a range of miatas in my garage :)

mke
mke HalfDork
10/9/19 3:44 a.m.

In reply to russian :

An automatic Miata?  Is that allowed?......and isn't the V12 equipped with an automatic? hmmmmmmmm

Have you got an ECU HW plan for it yet? 

In the o5e days I kept trying to build a board with lots of drivers that could do most anything but the reality that most were involved mainly for low cost kept winning the day meaning 2 ecus and FW to get them talking to each other probably made the most sense.  This was the path the OEMs followed, motec had a setup to pair the older M800s they developed for an aston martin race car effort....but a single ecu is so much nicer.

russian
russian New Reader
10/10/19 9:13 p.m.

Matt from rusEfi forum is trying to build a huge board with a lot of I/O, I will see how that goes :)

In the meantime I have much more basic issues like moving this thing around the garage and trying to get coolant into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOu_wv54850

mke
mke HalfDork
10/11/19 11:21 a.m.

I see the "dolly" in the background I think????

I've maybe not paid as much attention to all the ecu details as I should.....have you got the timing hp?  

russian
russian New Reader
10/11/19 1:13 p.m.

Timing hp? Not sure what you mean :(

mke
mke HalfDork
10/11/19 2:59 p.m.
russian said:

Timing hp? Not sure what you mean :(

I was on about timers and maintaining accuracy.  The 5634 I was playing with has the etpu with 32 timers each with its own code then  several others the main cpu used....but I really have no idea how many timers are actually needed or what the your chip has available...I just haven't followed tht part very close.

russian
russian New Reader
10/11/19 8:55 p.m.

For port injection we are happy with just one timer. Our next step is to try same single timer approach on a GDI engine with it's higher precision requirments.

mke
mke HalfDork
10/12/19 7:37 a.m.
russian said:

For port injection we are happy with just one timer. Our next step is to try same single timer approach on a GDI engine with it's higher precision requirments.

hmmm...why would the timing requirements be different for GDI vs port? 

Are you using the same single timer for spark?

Do you know what timing error you currently have with various setup?  like 4 cyl  vs 6 vs 8 vs 12?  the OEM spec for these functions is about 1usec total error allowed I think, that's what an OEM chip engineer told me anyway but clearly you could get away with more error.....but I'm not sure about what drove the spec so I'm not sure about at what price you get more allowance.

I remember reading something on your forum about latency but it wasn't posted by you so I really didn't trust it but that is why I asked.  From what I understand this is also a big part of why the OEMs used to all use multiple ECUs  and still use multiple controllers throughout the vehicle so it certainly wouldn't be an issue in anyway unique your project.  The 5xxx OEM  style chips wre available with over 100 timers in them...GM and chrysler were using the 5554 that has 6 timers in the main core then 2  separate eTPUs (enhanced Time Processing Units...preprocessors running separate dedicated code) with the engine on 1 and the trans control in the other...at least that what I read.  The 5554 (or newer variant) is what is inside the MoTec M1 series ecus and why they can claim to be al thing to all people...they also have a separate FPGA chip they appear to use for data logging. 

Cosworth (now pectel) was using an old 555 processor (with a far less capable TPU vs newer and massively upgraded eTPU) but they added a FPGA chip to handle all the timing.  As an FWIW MS started life as an open source project working with the 555 I think.  When I finally shut down o5e the talk was around following the cosworth example and mating a cheap ARM something to a now cheap FPGA  and having a pretty powerful setup....or close o5e and buy an enginelab and don't really give it another thought. I have a buddy who is pretty deep into FPGA stuff and used to work at dynojet doing their power commander stuff I can introduce you if you're at all interested.

mke
mke HalfDork
10/12/19 9:03 a.m.

Thinking about it a little bit I'm not sure it really matters if there is timer lag as long as the lag is repeatable it will end up compensated for in the the tuning.

Are you using the same timer for crank decoding too?  

Sean (FPGA guy) just moved to the east ...he's down just north of Baltimore...the ecu you to could create together.....

russian
russian New Reader
10/31/19 8:43 a.m.

Simple pleasures - my v12 now has two new belts and coolant now stays in the engine! With fluid circulation I would not be freaking out every time I start it.

https://youtu.be/nCsHEcW7D3o

russian
russian New Reader
2/18/20 6:47 p.m.

Finally microRusEfi is available as a kit :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtExUaRSnRo

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
2/26/20 11:02 a.m.

NICE! Any new assembled boards coming?

russian
russian Reader
3/19/20 10:12 p.m.

Yes, fully assembled boards are available on eBay, just search for microRusEfi

Technically microRusEfi is a small 4 cylinder board with drive by wire, but my evil plan is to run this v12 on two of these. Hopefully only few days away.

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TQIqBYsmYr7O9vHYe9FBoJOnbgIRMCUwede3M3lvmK808FgPfIJrMD1hBD0TTPQQ